Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton plan £7.5m raid on Brighton for Solly March

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As I have said I can see the logic in playing somebody in the role Tex played last season but to do so would mean losing 1 wide man. He appears to be a very forward minded central midfielder more so than Kayal Stephens and Crofts as none of them woukd get near 20 goals so to be just behind the 2 strikers wouldnt be much of a change for him if any.

From every description we have of Towell, and every comment from Dundalk fans, suggests exactly the opposite - that he is a box to box CENTRE midfielder. He's been likened more than once in style to Lampard. Basically he plays the role Stephens plays, breaking into the box, but scores loads more goals because he's playing in an average league, and he takes (about 10) pemalties. How many do you think Stephens would score in the LOI?

Merdalfthewizard

once more unto the breach
Dec 25, 2014
265 miles from home games
Just a thought, and feel free to slap me down, could Towell possibly play directly behind a single striker, give his rather good goalscoring record.
With our obvious lack of strikers (going through a lean spell or without the ability to play 90 mins) the option to play 5 in midfield could be considered

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just a thought, and feel free to slap me down, could Towell possibly play directly behind a single striker, give his rather good goalscoring record.
With our obvious lack of strikers (going through a lean spell or without the ability to play 90 mins) the option to play 5 in midfield could be considered

Towell behind Wilson.......

albionite

May 20, 2009

CH does like to take a striker off in second half for a midfielder. Has been for a defensive minded midfielder so far, but does give us options.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
From every description we have of Towell, and every comment from Dundalk fans, suggests exactly the opposite - that he is a box to box CENTRE midfielder. He's been likened more than once in style to Lampard. Basically he plays the role Stephens plays, breaking into the box, but scores loads more goals because he's playing in an average league, and he takes (about 10) pemalties. How many do you think Stephens would score in the LOI?

Who am I to argue with the font of all knowledge?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My point is that even without this rumour CH may be considering playing 1 wide man to allow a place for Towell. Who does he expect him to replace or has he just signed him to make up the squad numbers?
Am I missing something here? Towell has played in the Irish league, which is not a very good league. When has he played at a level as high as the Championship, high enough to suggest he'd replace someone who's got Brighton to the top of the table, unbeaten? And how much did we spend on him? Not enough to suggest he's better than what we already have,

Either you're account is a spoof, or a daft old man has had a turn for the worse.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Who am I to argue with the font of all knowledge?

This is where you let yourself down - sulky responses like that.

I'm perfectly happy to make clear that I know NOTHING about Richie Towell, beyond what the Dundalk fans, and the Irish media, have told us. I'm not claiming any insight, unlike YOU who 'sees him playing the Teixiera role' (that he's never played before).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Am I missing something here? Towell has played in the Irish league, which is not a very good league. When has he played at a level as high as the Championship, high enough to suggest he'd replace someone who's got Brighton to the top of the table, unbeaten? And how much did we spend on him? Not enough to suggest he's better than what we already have,

Either you're account is a spoof, or a daft old man has had a turn for the worse.

He played in Scotland under Calderwood who has obviously kept tabs on him plus he is 24 so not one for too, far in the future more like reasonably soon, this season or next?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
He played in Scotland under Calderwood who has obviously kept tabs on him plus he is 24 so not one for too, far in the future more like reasonably soon, this season or next?

I believe his time in Scotland.under Calderwood was at least in part as a defender. That's not important there compared to the gulf in class
The player himself has said he doesn't expect to.walk straight into the team.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This is where you let yourself down - sulky responses like that.

I'm perfectly happy to make clear that I know NOTHING about Richie Towell, beyond what the Dundalk fans, and the Irish media, have told us. I'm not claiming any insight, unlike YOU who 'sees him playing the Teixiera role' (that he's never played before).

Like you I know nothing about him other than what I have read and I rightly or wrongly formed the impression that he may be able to fill a more advanced attacking role than either Kayal and Stephens both of whom seem slow to get forward into the box and more content to sit between the halfway line and the penalty area. Yes they do get further forward but not often enough for me. Sorry about the sulky response but even I get annoyed with continual put downs from people who obviously are new to football or very young or both, unlike yourself.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He played in Scotland under Calderwood who has obviously kept tabs on him
That's that a few years ago isn't it? He didn't do enough then to warrant a place in a top Championship then.

plus he is 24 so not one for too, far in the future more like reasonably soon, this season or next?
I hope so yes, but that's completely different to Chris wanting to re jig the midfield to accommodate him. If we were spending a huge amount on a proven player at this level, then yes, we might need to sell someone to make way (even though others are saying that wouldn't be a winger), but that's clearly not the case here. He wouldn't have been that expensive and isn't proven at this level. It's a wait and see job.

Sorry about the sulky response but even I get annoyed with continual put downs from people who obviously are new to football or very young or both, unlike yourself.
Well I can't use being young or new as an excuse, and I'm sorry if my continual put downs upset you, I don't want them to. I just find your posts to be so ludicrous I can't help myself. If we were talking in a pub I wouldn't be so rude, I'd just say 'don't be silly BG, we're not selling a first teamer to accommodate Richie'. But if we were in a pub, I'd be able to see if you were being genuine, and here I can't. You must have watched tons of football in your time (have you said you were a scout at some point?), but you do come out with some crazy ideas, and many people here don't think your account is genuine. Maybe you are getting old and have lost it a bit, in which case I'd be doubly sorry, but I'm going to do you the credit of assuming not. Going forward, you will continue to come up with crazy ideas, and I'll continue to take the micky. If it upsets you, I'm sorry, just put me on ignore.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Half a dozen games ago I wouldn't even have started with March unless I had to. He has played well for a few games though and his potential might be fully realised but 7.5 million ? ...... Don't think so... Not yet.

Dec 29, 2011
They are not mutually exclusive. I have known him for years and I like to see him be sucessful as he is a really nice guy............. I don't go to a lot of Brighton matches in the course of a season as I go to watch many different sides, through the course of my work

Agent/scout?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Saints raid Seagulls for Solly March?

£7.5 M. would you? calleri or bolanos or whomsoever. thoughts?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here