Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton plan £7.5m raid on Brighton for Solly March

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They can do one until the summer
This.

And for what it's worth, I don't think the club would sell March at that price. I genuinely think they'd want more for an England U21 player who is beginning to look like one the best players in an unbeaten Championship leading side.

But if he does go, it will be for £9m plus add-ons I'm guessing.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well this would be a conundrum if Saints or anyone else offered £7m. Solly looked poor earlier in the season and contributed nothing, a waste of a shirt at times. But look at him now, worth £7m of anyone's money! But we got north of £7m for Ulloa then struggled to invest it wisely. However interest in our players means we are doing something right and I'm sure Chris sees it as a compliment. Meanwhile, we have apparantly turned down £6.5m for Dunk and maybe £4m for Stephens, so this story could have legs.

I wouldn't say he was poor at the beginning of the season just that he wasn't the finished article, ie his final ball wasn't effective.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
7.5 million?!?!

I'll drive him down the A27 myself.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Difficult to know how much truth is in this. Either a real, but half, interest or an agent generating some leverage for a new deal.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
No, he wasn't.

I stood beside Dick Knight at a youth team game at Woodside Road some years ago, and asked him who the young blonde lad was as he was having a great game. Dick said words to the effect of 'That's Solly March, he's going to a be great player for the Albion one day'.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We'll need a 'Solly March' WHEN we get to the Premier League. And it will cost a lot more than £7.5 million to buy one.
Exactly.

Either he goes for top dollar in the summer, or we are promoted and he stays. What isn't happening is Southampton get him at the quoted price in January.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
If Southampton are thinking of offering £7.5 M (and that's a great BIG if, IMHO) it'll be because they think that they'll be able to sell him on for twenty million after a season or two. Southampton youngsters go (usually to Arsenal) for a lot of money.
Haven't been his greatest fan, but he does seem to be coming into his own in the last few matches. Hold on to him would seem to be the best option - but if the bidding goes seriously north of £7.5M, might be the time to start listening.

We do need to remember that he had a very serious back injury which kept him out for a long time.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I don't think there's anything in this story, but I hope these type of stories don't turn Solly's head. I can't see that the Albion would Sell their hottest prospect, at least not unless 10m was on the table to cover the cost of another good winger & the South American Striker. It's just Bull. If the Albion have real ambition, they will need much more than 7.5 mil in the PL to replace Solly. Must keep him.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
I said on Saturday I bet we now get rumours of Solly being linked to another club, seems to happen to him more than other players Kayal for instance who has played well all season, I bet its his agent trying to get a new deal.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
7.5 Million....... its a lot of cash.. and by the time TB is finished with them it will be 10.

I personally would be selling for that sort of money...im probably in the minority though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Having refused £5m for Dunk, I would think there is very little chance of TB or CH letting Solly go for £7.5m given where we are (regardless of whether Solly would even want to go). If the Ulloa deal was approaching £10m, another few weeks of Solly playing like he is now would mean something north of £10m would be the minimum - but we won't sell anyway unless his 'head gets turned'.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
7.5 Million....... its a lot of cash.. and by the time TB is finished with them it will be 10.

I personally would be selling for that sort of money...im probably in the minority though.

Look at it like this, Solly continues his form and we go up. Then Southamption come in for him in the Summer, would 7.5m be enough then? How much to replace him with a Premier League player? I'd say double! No sell.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Solly needs to play football, don't think moving to Southampton would be a good move for him. Play like he did on Saturday for the rest of the season and he could be a Premier League player next season anyway.

Exactly -lets see what happens at the end of the season. I don't think one could deny a young footballer his chance, and if we don't go up, and they offer loads of dosh, then fair enough. But I would doubt the club would sell in January, but then you never know, because money talks, as the saying goes, and with JM, KLL and possibly VLP on form, then the club might just decide . . Summer must, however, surely be decision time.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
If their first offer is 7.5 million, we could easily ask for 10 Million+.

I know Solly March has been playing well of late, and I love him to bits, but that IS a lot of money. Especially for a player with no right foot.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Look at it like this, Solly continues his form and we go up. Then Southamption come in for him in the Summer, would 7.5m be enough then? How much to replace him with a Premier League player? I'd say double! No sell.

Nope as i said 10 million would be my figure.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Should wait till end of the season, in our position this is no time to sell the crown jewels...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here