Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton - next British club to be bought by the Chinese?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
All these foreign investors want a piece of the premiership pie for money only and football clubs are Just businesses now...it will kill the game eventually of any passion what's so ever.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Honestly though I hate to say it...........I always thought that if we are promoted and stay 2 seasons in the premiership , uncle Tony will take investment from Chinese backers .
Just my opinion...........

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wasn't he joking? We don't yet have a ****ing Red Bull franchise club in England. Germany do.

And I wasn't joking. Sure, Red Bull have tested the Bundesliga's rules but you should check out what the league stipulated about the board make-up, the fan ownership and even their badge before they were given their licence.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
17% price deduction from the summer thanks to the devaluation of sterling. Assuming valuations have not altered too much in that 3 months. We must be worth more than early June, for example, due to our brilliance.

Maybe we could do a Hong Kong style deal where they have to give the clubs back for free, after a certain number of years.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
16 foreign owners. It takes 14 clubs in the Premier League to change the constitution in relation to relegation.

This has been mentioned before but I still can't see it. I very much doubt that you could have a situation where relegation is stopped during that season - there could be a vote during for no relegation for the following season but I can't see any clubs in danger of going down voting for it. That would mean Boro, Burnley, Palace, Hull, Swansea, Sunderland and West Brom saying no - they just wouldn't want to take the risk of ending up the wrong side of the relegation divide.

That's before you consider whether Sky would chuck much money into a league where most of the games would have nothing riding on them

I do think there's a possibility of some games being moved to Asia though

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This has been mentioned before but I still can't see it. I very much doubt that you could have a situation where relegation is stopped during that season - there could be a vote during for no relegation for the following season but I can't see any clubs in danger of going down voting for it. That would mean Boro, Burnley, Palace, Hull, Swansea, Sunderland and West Brom saying no - they just wouldn't want to take the risk of ending up the wrong side of the relegation divide.

That's before you consider whether Sky would chuck much money into a league where most of the games would have nothing riding on them

Why can't a vote take place after all promotion and relegation had been settled, in close season?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Why can't a vote take place after all promotion and relegation had been settled, in close season?

I suppose it could in theory but most changes have always been telegraphed in advance - the play-offs were proposed in 1985 for example and the first ones were 1987. The new 100-team FL voted on this summer is set for 2019/20 etc. I don't know of any major change that has been aimed for the very next season

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
There are already signs that the Premier League is eating itself. I have very mixed feelings about Brighton being part of it, potentially, next season.

If it's just going to be a corporate willy-waving competition involving American and Chinese billionaires it's hard to see how we'd ever compete and why we'd get excited about doing so.

Make the most of this season, folks, we may never experience one that's as enjoyable.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There are already signs that the Premier League is eating itself. I have very mixed feelings about Brighton being part of it, potentially, next season.

If it's just going to be a corporate willy-waving competition involving American and Chinese billionaires it's hard to see how we'd ever compete and why we'd get excited about doing so.

Make the most of this season, folks, we may never experience one that's as enjoyable.
What a sad post. I think you're right.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Cheer up ffs.

Foreign interest in our clubs have been going on for years.The Championship is heading the same way.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Totally agree. It's utterly depressing. How many clubs are now foreign owner? Must be the majority in the top flight. I'm also really really surprised supporters aren't kicking up more of a fuss.

The fans are desperate for success and cling to the millions initially on offer, as they hope that this will buy them the success they crave. Inconvenient thoughts are pushed into the background, and only a few years later does it become apparent that the new owner might have other aims, by which time it is too late. The protests start and the atmosphere becomes ugly. I am not for one moment excusing the greed of some owners, who will put their own gain above the traditions of the community that they are supposed to serve, or at least reflect, but fans must also be rather more circumspect.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

It has been discussed at PL meetings before. I can't see PL clubs abolishing promotion and relegation full stop, but they may be keen to move the pieces around by perhaps moving to 2 up 2 down, or have a play off between Championship club and third bottom etc.

Sky aren't interested in the arse end of the PL, it doesn't deliver in terms of ratings. All they want is United, Liverpool , Arsenal, Chelsea etc. A 'Super Sunday' of Swansea v Stoke, Bournemouth v Watford, Boro v Burnley and Palace v anyone is of no interest to the sad sacks who pay £1,000 a year and never go a live game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here