Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Coast Derby? Or not?

gwc

georgeweahscousin
Apr 21, 2011
Overlooking the Solent
Hello there, Saints fan in peace.

You might remember me last season I did a nice piece about Sussex success...

Anyway, I have had a little look at the non-rivalry that got heated last season....

http://wp.me/p1mFFL-dW

Let me know what you think, and here is to a good game on Saturday!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The burning omission in there is an obvious one - it was a temporary thing, you've got Pompey again, and we've got Palace. They are the real rivalries, although another game with a bit more edge than usual is fine by me.

I actually don't buy the argument for the non-guard of honour, it was just a small-minded gesture, and didn't affect in any way what Saints were trying to do themselves. But I can see that some of Gus's comments were a bit silly as well.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Decent article , the photos are fantastic :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good article. If we stay in the same division as Southampton for a few seasons, the rivalry (that doesn't exist) will continue to build.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Enjoyed that... Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using P+ R

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Fair and balanced article, enjoyed reading it. Cheers:thumbsup:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The only thing that mattered last year was the trophy. And we won it at a canter. And history records that. Runners up doesn't get you anything in that respect.

Good luck to SCC if they win one this year; hubris however...

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Fair article.

I have never seen Albion v Saints as a true derby because you have Pompey and we have Palace. However there is definite rivalry given last season and the begining of this. Poyet v Adkins gives it an extra edge.

I hope the Albion give you a really decent game this time. The style is the same but the team is evolving. Especially if we have Buckley and Vicente available. I would have been particularly confident if Reyes is fit but that seems unlikely. CMS and Nooney will give your defence the run around given half a chance. Mostly we still play the patient build up game from the back. Don't make the mistake that many disciples of hoof ball (and some Refs) make that we are time wasting - when the ball is in active play.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
I agree with most but the non guard of honour was way out of order in my book. Champions deserve guards of honour, Chelsea gave United one United have given Arsenal one. Adkins could have done the right thing there.

Other than that a fair article and really like the forum name.

generation x

its in the blood
Nov 24, 2007
April 1978. Albion beat Blackpool. Saints and Spurs fabricate a draw for joint promotion to top flight football.

I'm not bitter....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here