Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Africa vs English 4th Test at Centurion, (which is near) Johannesburg

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Some interesting post match revelations from the Cap'n - Stokes and Bayliss have an interesting relationship in that all they do is swear at each other and that, in a weeks time, Cap'n will be home doing something to sheep. Ooeer.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
England were slaughtered int the final Ashes test too.

Yep - we don't seem to be able to keep up the intensity when the series is won. The Aussies would never have let US get away with a freebie like this

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Yep - we don't seem to be able to keep up the intensity when the series is won. The Aussies would never have let US get away with a freebie like this

On the contrary - England had a habit of winning the dead rubbers at the end of losing Ashes series', back when Australia were dominant.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
On the contrary - England had a habit of winning the dead rubbers at the end of losing Ashes series', back when Australia were dominant.

Apart from when we were whitewashed of course.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Shocking last test but if offered a 2-1 outcome at the start of the tour then I'm sure Cook and Bayliss would have taken that.

Hopefully, the selectors will have learned NEVER to pick Woakes again. Wood's stock has risen by not playing.

As for the batting, the cab rank is well and truly empty. It would have been nice for someone to have emerged and put the Pietersen issue to bed, but that hasn't happened so I fully expect the debate to be reignited.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cook's form is effecting those coming in around him (again). After being solid last summer, he seems to have slipped back again. His innings in this series: 0,7,27,8,18,43,76,5.

In Durban & Cape Town he was the first man out both innings, so 4 innings in a row. That is then so tough for Hales and Compton to solidify your own position as well as losing your captain straight off. He's been captaining exceptionally well, especially with the arrival of Bayliss. Very positive and he has been going with the flow in matches which is good to see. He just needs to keep his wicket, even just to 20's rather than single figures - 4 single figure innings out of 8 in this series isn't good enough to be brutally honest, and not relieving any pressure from the top order. They focus might be on Hales and Compton, but Hales's 10,26,60,5,1,18,15,1 isn't really that much different from the captain, and Compton's 85,49, 45,15,26,0,19,6 is better than both of them.

Not sure I'd write Hales off just yet. I think he is such an exciting talent, that I'd be minded to give him part of the summer to see if he does improve. Shouldn't judge him just on an away series to South Africa.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Is he as good a batsman as Bairstow, I dont think so.

Until recently I would have said not much between them. But Bairstow has kicked on with the bat, at last. Keeper wise Butler is much better, although his dip in form with the bat was affecting his keeping.

Butler needs to go back to Lancashire and get some time in the middle.

Bairstow needs to spend a lot of time with Bruce French and sort out his keeping.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here