Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Soundbars

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Time to :bounce: this thread, need some informed advice/opinions that I know exist on NSC...

As above, a decent amp and 5/6 speakers plus sub-woofer are the best. However, we've just moved to a new place with a smaller living-room, and my Wharfdales scattered around the old TV look stupid, especially with the wiring spaghetti. The old Denon amp doesn't have enough inputs, and we're replacing the TV with a super new 55inch LG Smart TV.

So, we want to simplify the speakers. First thought was a sound-bar with wireless sub-woofer -wife ordered a Orbitsound M9 for £300 but it turned out to be stereo (!) and sounded crap (very directional), so it's going back.

I'd prefer a proper 5.1 setup with wireless speakers. Any suggestions, or are other sound-bars any better? BTW, I assuming we'll take an optical/digital feed straight out of the TV.

I've got one of these for use with my LG Smart TV

LG-B5521A-front.jpg

The sound quality is very impressive.

LG BB5521A review

Chinster

Aug 7, 2011
I bought the LG 250 yesterday, £149 from Richer sounds
I must say it has improved the sound quality of the tv 100%. I like the bluetooth feature too, connects to laptop and phone with ease.
Overall very happy

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
I found it does not make an huge differecence with normal TV, but does with DVD. I got one one with wireless Sub woofer (The Samsung one above), which I would say it is a must unless it is going right next to the the bar

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I bought one made by Orbit with a small sub woofer earlier this year and it certainly makes a difference with films etc...also Bluetooth so use it for music from my tablet etc

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Time to :bounce: this thread, need some informed advice/opinions that I know exist on NSC...

As above, a decent amp and 5/6 speakers plus sub-woofer are the best. However, we've just moved to a new place with a smaller living-room, and my Wharfdales scattered around the old TV look stupid, especially with the wiring spaghetti. The old Denon amp doesn't have enough inputs, and we're replacing the TV with a super new 55inch LG Smart TV.

So, we want to simplify the speakers. First thought was a sound-bar with wireless sub-woofer -wife ordered a Orbitsound M9 for £300 but it turned out to be stereo (!) and sounded crap (very directional), so it's going back.

I'd prefer a proper 5.1 setup with wireless speakers. Any suggestions, or are other sound-bars any better? BTW, I assuming we'll take an optical/digital feed straight out of the TV.

The only electrical items women should be allowed to have input to, are vacuums, washing machines and irons as they are the people that use them. Anything else is liable to be too technical. Women know your place.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I've got one of these for use with my LG Smart TV

View attachment 47414

The sound quality is very impressive.

LG BB5521A review

Looks quite tasty. New Blu-Ray player too? Sounding like scope creep already...

Yes, of course all these sound-bars are going to improve the sound of your naked TV, but I want something equal to (or better than) my current set-up (but wireless and simpler).

Anyone recommend wireless 5.1 systems?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The only electrical items women should be allowed to have input to, are vacuums, washing machines and irons as they are the people that use them. Anything else is liable to be too technical. Women know your place.

True. I was being nagged to sort this out, but was too busy with DIY in the new house, so used the fatal words "it's up to you".

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
As mentioned before, the best elements on mine are the wireless sub for easy placement out of view and the bluetooth so tablet/phone music can be played. the '3D' sound button is a bit gimmicky.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Bouncing this to see if there are any views on current products in the c£200 range ... any recommendations, or one's to avoid?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Bouncing this to see if there are any views on current products in the c£200 range ... any recommendations, or one's to avoid?
Been looking into this myself for our second tv, the main TV has an amp and stereo speaker system setup. Richer sounds has a good selection of soundbars in your budget range. From what I have gathered from a few in the know the Yamaha systems are good. Richer sounds also has the Cambridge Audio minx which has a very good review from Whathifi.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Been looking into this myself for our second tv, the main TV has an amp and stereo speaker system setup. Richer sounds has a good selection of soundbars in your budget range. From what I have gathered from a few in the know the Yamaha systems are good. Richer sounds also has the Cambridge Audio minx which has a very good review from Whathifi.

I looked through Yamaha and I've got it in my head I want a separate sub woofer and the cheapest they have is more than I want to pay I think .. plus mixed reviews and need another £50 (if I've got it right) to stream music from phone/ipad. Not sure I've got my head round the Cambridge thingy.

Lamie is suggesting have a look at Orbitsound where I'm going next!!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
From my experience the sound bar's do help with the audio massively. The problem with these really thin televisions are that there's not enough space for a speaker to get the air moving.

However the sound bar's that I've tried are still outperformed by a separates based 5.1 surround sound system

This big time. Can certainly enhance weak sound but will never recreate the proper surround sound from a wired 5.1 with a subwoofer. One of the key issues with soundbars trying to create surround effects is the fine calibration which even then will only work well where you have the optimum positioning of the tv and the viewing position within a specific room shape. I have a YAMAHA YSP800 and whilst beefing up the sound the sound it won't immerse you in the first 20 mins of Saving Private Ryan

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I looked through Yamaha and I've got it in my head I want a separate sub woofer and the cheapest they have is more than I want to pay I think .. plus mixed reviews and need another £50 (if I've got it right) to stream music from phone/ipad. Not sure I've got my head round the Cambridge thingy.

Lamie is suggesting have a look at Orbitsound where I'm going next!!

You would be able to link the Cambridge Minx and your phone/ipad music by Bluetooth. It's really easy just pressing a button. Any system you buy should have Bluetooth connectivity IMO as it's very simple to use. Took me a time to get my head around the concept but my son convinced me I needed it. Another benefit is that anything with Bluetooth connectivity can link up to it so it's makes it more future proof.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
You would be able to link the Cambridge Minx and your phone/ipad music by Bluetooth. It's really easy just pressing a button.

Yeah got that. The issue I think is that we're moving next year and may end up with TV on wall. Not sure it's such a big deal but in my thinking ..... it certainly reviews well!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You would be able to link the Cambridge Minx and your phone/ipad music by Bluetooth. It's really easy just pressing a button. Any system you buy should have Bluetooth connectivity IMO as it's very simple to use. Took me a time to get my head around the concept but my son convinced me I needed it. Another benefit is that anything with Bluetooth connectivity can link up to it so it's makes it more future proof.

Same with the Orbit...i use my iPad/mac regularly via bluetooth

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Dumb question alert - where does the extra individual speaker go?

Is it behind you or in front to the side of the TV?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here