Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sort it you b's

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
It's easy to be critical of the op. But the facts are that we are currently without a manager and seriously short of players, with pre season just 3 odd weeks away. I tend to worry but I think that perhaps our targets are not taking the job due to budgets or similar and we may be unhappy with the final outcome. Either way it is sooner rather than later on this since no serious planning can take place until the manager is on board.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am starting to think we may be moving into Peter Taylor, Martin Hinshelwood territory. A manager who says he can't work with the budget and leaves at the end of the season leaving the club oodles of time to sort out a new manager. No decent, proven manager willing to work with the budget either and Hinshelwood ( Jones) appointed at the last minute.

Love to be wrong.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I am starting to think we may be moving into Peter Taylor, Martin Hinshelwood territory. A manager who says he can't work with the budget and leaves at the end of the season leaving the club oodles of time to sort out a new manager. No decent, proven manager willing to work with the budget either and Hinshelwood ( Jones) appointed at the last minute.

Love to be wrong.

There's only one reason they haven't announced a manager by now and the answer is the people picked haven't accepted the job yet.

That means it's someone who isn't 100% sure they want it either because of the terms or because they are pretty happy where they are.

Out of the people linked I'm pretty sure we would have gone for one of them so it's got to be something as you say and as the ground and training set up is new it's got to be the budget for wages or limitations on the actual role of the job. I can understand experienced managers not wanting restrictions and expecting a free reign to do the job but if untried coaches are having doubts then something is worrying.

For Garcia to leave as he did and in similar league positions as poyet it's got to be the money available.
That means either the board are obsessed and committed to ffp or the clubs finances don't add up

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
There's only one reason they haven't announced a manager by now and the answer is the people picked haven't accepted the job yet.

That means it's someone who isn't 100% sure they want it either because of the terms or because they are pretty happy where they are.

Out of the people linked I'm pretty sure we would have gone for one of them so it's got to be something as you say and as the ground and training set up is new it's got to be the budget for wages or limitations on the actual role of the job. I can understand experienced managers not wanting restrictions and expecting a free reign to do the job but if untried coaches are having doubts then something is worrying.

For Garcia to leave as he did and in similar league positions as poyet it's got to be the money available.
That means either the board are obsessed and committed to ffp or the clubs finances don't add up

I do not think its to do with money, FFP is going to impact on all clubs this season.
I expect that they have offered someone the job and they have the weekend to think about it. I understand why people are frustrated, however as we seem to be speaking to a number of candidates, I would expect that process to be lengthy as they need to whittle them down and also the expectations need to match. The managers we are talking will want to get into management Sherwood, Clarke and Hughton want to prove that they have what it takes to be a manager and We are a good prospect. They will not get any of the other jobs going, so it would be a big risk to wait. Tony want promotion, but not at all costs, but he will give the manager the funds to be challenging for the top half of the table and will be up to the manager to show how good he is by getting the little bit extra out of the squad and into the top 6

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Or, the candidates are pretty even and Bloom and Barber are struggling to pick one from their options so have yet to offer it to anyone, and several candidates are eagerly awaiting an offer of a job they'd love to have.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I do not think its to do with money, FFP is going to impact on all clubs this season.
I expect that they have offered someone the job and they have the weekend to think about it. I understand why people are frustrated, however as we seem to be speaking to a number of candidates, I would expect that process to be lengthy as they need to whittle them down and also the expectations need to match. The managers we are talking will want to get into management Sherwood, Clarke and Hughton want to prove that they have what it takes to be a manager and We are a good prospect. They will not get any of the other jobs going, so it would be a big risk to wait. Tony want promotion, but not at all costs, but he will give the manager the funds to be challenging for the top half of the table and will be up to the manager to show how good he is by getting the little bit extra out of the squad and into the top 6

Funds may well play a part but I suspect that it's likely that it's been offered to one of the bigger names on the list and he wants a bit of time to decide if it's the right career move or not...

The board will have the inside track on FFP and if they thought it wouldn't stick they would at the very least be telling candidates there is an unofficial budget as well as the FFP one.

i suppose its silly to think that our club with the stadium new training ground 27000 average would have out of work managers or ambitious managers jumping at the chance irrespective of the financial restraints and thinking yes i can do that and be happy and thrilled at the chance of showing what they can do!!!!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Not too sure why people are getting stressed/jumping to spurious negative conclusions. It's the weekend - 'Cheeeel Winstaaan' - the announcement is more likely to be made on a Monday isn't it?

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham

Love to be wrong.

I think that is why I am anxious this time round being able to vividly remember the Hinslewood train wreck. This has similar signs, manager leaving over budgets, no news from the club. Lets hope its not Jones and some kids from the DS to make up squad numbers and I am just paranoid.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

I think that with positions that don't rely on financial wizardry or sales you might have a pick 1 out of 3 or 4 candidates and not have a chosen one in mind by thst stage but choosing a football manager is different and whilst TB might listen to Burke or Barber I bet he will go with who he wanted or now wants.

TB probably had his first choice from day 1 after Oscar left (maybe even before!!) he would only have changed his mind if the price was too much or he found out something to change his mind in the interview. If we are picking managers purely out of applications or from what is available then then there cannot be a proper plan in place because proper plans in football need a 3 year strategy that will include an identifiable team rather than an ad hoc one.

Also if people interviewed need anything other that a few hours to decide that they want the job they can't be that interested, they would know a lot about us, the work location is fixed, the salary they want in mind, the aim and goals must be promotion, europe and trophies and their football philosophy set out - if they didn't have that all resolved in their mind and with agreed with family we probably don't want them.

Sherwood, Clarke, Hughton and Clement are all gambles, none have shown what they can do, I know why some people here want them but they are same hopeful punts we had with Poyet and Garcia. If your aim is the top and money is no problem you would go for Clement AND more importantly Ancellotti Clarke AND say Benitez etc etc and you would put £20M in for transfers and convert it to shares and not bother with FFP.

The squad needs about 8 players and they need to be identified from experienced premier professionals and some foreign imports to add some previously untapped skill and creativity. The manager and coach might if they are lucky enough to motivate and get a bit extra out of a few players but its a bit hopeful.

FFP won't change anything, As QPR got promoted the few clubs left that seemed to ignore ffp would have shot themselves in the foot even without any ffp punishment.

There are more than enough clubs with big para payments to sort out ffp issues they may have and the punishment for ignoring ffp is the same as spending too much on wages and transfers - a few years of transfer embargo and a financial penalty its the same unless they kick them out the league.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I think that is why I am anxious this time round being able to vividly remember the Hinslewood train wreck. This has similar signs, manager leaving over budgets, no news from the club. Lets hope its not Jones and some kids from the DS to make up squad numbers and I am just paranoid.

We do still have a pretty good squad, Lua Lua, CMS, March, Ince, JFC, Kemmy, Buckley, Greer, Bruno, Dunk, Toko, Chicksen and Ulloa.We may or may not sell Ulloa, if we do that will generate some more funds. We are taking no longer then the other teams looking for managers at the moment. I believe that we will know in the next few days.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
We do still have a pretty good squad, Lua Lua, CMS, March, Ince, JFC, Kemmy, Buckley, Greer, Bruno, Dunk, Toko, Chicksen and Ulloa.We may or may not sell Ulloa, if we do that will generate some more funds. We are taking no longer then the other teams looking for managers at the moment. I believe that we will know in the next few days.

Yes those in the squad are able enough to win a good few championship games. We just need some strength in depth to carry us through the season and a first choice left back.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Yes those in the squad are able enough to win a good few championship games. We just need some strength in depth to carry us through the season and a first choice left back.

But the new manager or Burke will bring those players in, there are to many doom and gloom people on here. We have the bases of a good squad, yes we let go players and some chose not to renew
Apart from Upson and Ward, I do not think the players who went will be missed, good on their day, however to far and few between. We want the right players for the squad and if that takes time, then so be it

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Also if people interviewed need anything other that a few hours to decide that they want the job they can't be that interested, they would know a lot about us, the work location is fixed, the salary they want in mind, the aim and goals must be promotion, europe and trophies and their football philosophy set out - if they didn't have that all resolved in their mind and with agreed with family we probably don't want them.

Whilst I agree with most of your post, I do not agree with this part. If Tony has identified a manager and really wants him, then he will give him time. I can not see Tony offering a job to a manager and then saying forget it, if that person asks for a few days to think about it. They are trying to negotiate a deal, where both sides might have to be flexible. Take Paul Clement, if Tony really wanted him and Paul told him he would need to talk this over with his family, remember they live in Spain, that's a big move for him. On the other hand Tony and Paul might want the weekend to decide, they may have 2 candidates that they are finding hard to separate. This is not like a normal job interview, it's not about getting X amount of money. Managers tend to want to bring their own back room staff, how much is in the transfer budget?, are the club going to sell anymore players? Who is going to have the final say on players coming in? Are the club already doing deals for players? Is Jones staying?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
the 3 b's need to get this sorted now not a month before season starts so come no bloom barber and burke appoint the manager and give him the time to make signings the longer the wait the more players will become out of reach

Good thinking, maybe you should let them know as they're clearly just sitting on their laurels waiting for a good manager to hire themselves. I wonder what they've been doing this week, my guess is sitting around chatting about the weather and looking forward to the World Cup and I doubt the subject of a new manager has even come up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here