Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sorry to be boring but yet another update from Paul Barber on 1901 dining

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
My friend works on catering, his area had 31 tables last season. Now he just has seven. Well player Barr Barr.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
In our case at each match, we must be prepared to serve anything up to 3000 members across 10 different lounges, with a variety of menu options from full VIP to casual buffet dining and snacks, and all served in a short period of time prior to, during, and after match.

That is definitely not easy to get right and make a profit.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
My question is why are the lounges only used 25 times a year? I walked round Norwich's ground the last time we played there (on a Tuesday night), and every business suite was occupied - presumably some with full dining. I know the Amex is further from Brighton City Centre than Carrow Road is from Norwich City Centre, but couldn't a better effort be made to use the facilities day in day out? Perhaps it is. I don't know - I'm not criticising the club, but surely that is something that would increase the amount of revenue coming in.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My question is why are the lounges only used 25 times a year? I walked round Norwich's ground the last time we played there (on a Tuesday night), and every business suite was occupied - presumably some with full dining. I know the Amex is further from Brighton City Centre than Carrow Road is from Norwich City Centre, but couldn't a better effort be made to use the facilities day in day out? Perhaps it is. I don't know - I'm not criticising the club, but surely that is something that would increase the amount of revenue coming in.

Good point. The club use the lounges as conference suites during the week so it is hardly a case of the the kitchens completely shutting down for two weeks at a time. I appreciate the numbers will be lower but it is not the gearing up from scratch every match day which Barber implies.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Good point. The club use the lounges as conference suites during the week so it is hardly a case of the the kitchens completely shutting down for two weeks at a time. I appreciate the numbers will be lower but it is not the gearing up from scratch every match day which Barber implies.

Barber confirmed that the council & many local businesses do use the facilities at the Amex, at a fans Q & A.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We looked at doing an evening do around Christmas at the amex and we were quoted silly money!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We looked at doing an evening do around Christmas at the amex and we were quoted silly money!

My partner arranges her works Christmas do's and looked at using the Amex - nearly double the price of the competition !!!! Obviously she didn't book it there.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Something resembling quality rather than slop ?

I have some sympathy with the argument about price being they have to only cater for 25 days of the year - no economies of scale. There is no excuse for serving poor quality though.

I also understand 25 days a year argument to a point but in my last job I spent 2 seasons (had to!) taking business contacts for the full corporate gig at The Emirates. Pricing aside, the food and service was outstanding, so it can be done

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure many people will welcome the price reduction BUT I'm really not sure he's understanding that most of the complaints are around quality. That £14 sausage and mash offering looked truly horrid !

Did food look truly horrid because being a 1901 member you looked at the food and thought 'yuk that looks horrid'.
Or
Did you look at the photo on here and think 'that looks horrid'?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think he may be missing one thing - the price that would have kept people there and eating (which £59 with decent food and service may have done) is different from the price that will get people back from the Swan and the Newmarket (which will need to be lower still I think). Having messed up, and they have, they need to win people back and that means trying much harder. When people are back and the lounge is vibrant again, then consider a price rise to something like £59.

May 21, 2004
Preston Park
I will consider the £59 inclusive option, subject to what is on the menu. Can't claim the Vat on the food anyway. VIP away match trips sounds interesting too, will have to wait for further details of that.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Something resembling quality rather than slop ?

I have some sympathy with the argument about price being they have to only cater for 25 days of the year - no economies of scale. There is no excuse for serving poor quality though.

Incorrect. If I was to contact a butcher for a 'deal' on 20 sausages a day for my pub (7,300pa) or 1000 for 25 specified days a year (25,000 pa) I would get a lower unit price for the 'Amex order' undoubtedly

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have some sympathy with the argument about price being they have to only cater for 25 days of the year - no economies of scale.

But equally Barber has said Sedoxo are the second biggest caterer in the world...surely that gives them very significant buying power?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Incorrect. If I was to contact a butcher for a 'deal' on 20 sausages a day for my pub (7,300pa) or 1000 for 25 specified days a year (25,000 pa) I would get a lower unit price for the 'Amex order' undoubtedly

I meant when compared to a restaurant open 6 or 7 days a week. If they went to your butcher and ordered 365,000 sausages they'd get a cheaper price than the Amex order.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here