Sorry the blokes out of his depth

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
something is desperately wrong
I like the man but he really does not cut the mustard
"I am not looking at the table"
well we are .......and you would not need to if we had won the games we should have won
the similar way Moyes and OG's season has gone is worth studying, both have reasonable squads that are equally goal shy both managers have very plausible excuses as to why things are not going right, both have the spectre of the previous manager hanging in the air like a bad smell, both have players in the squad who think they are the bee's knees but could not hit a cows arse with a banjo.
something must change other wise the slim hope we have of getting into the play-offs will be gone, if they all think that won't happen then start playing the DS now

Have you watched the Dev Squad recently :D

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
That's all well and good but in another thread 77% of fans have voted for Garcia IN and a further 13% voting fence which appears to be the stance that you're taking. It's got quite a large sample size too with 285 fans voting. If the likes of you and Glasfryn and other non-attendees are truly following the trend then you'd not be half as equivocal as you are.

It's interesting to note that both you and Glasfryn have been two of the most vocal in your attack on the club and in particular Paul Barber over the Poyet sacking. I'm certain this has affected how both of you view Garcia.

my view of OG is probably gleaned from his supposed attacking and shoot on sight policy, which has disappeared in to thin air, yes OK he has not had a lot of luck on the injuries that the team have injured.
why does everyone think that because I have questioned the transparency over Poyets sacking is in some way backing him or liking/loving him, I would not trust him as far as I could throw him or any of the others involved in that fiasco and all of that black time in the clubs history has I can assure you has not coloured my view of OG.
in truth I am beginning to think OG is leaving to much of the team business to Jones, I would also think more of him if he were to have a little passion (something that the previous manager had a little to much of) this of coarse does not make him a good manager.
on a more immediate theme I still have not given up on top 6 or promotion but that will take some sort of earth shattering effort but is still possible (look at what Palace done last season) as I have said before I want to like the bloke but his(was it his or someone else making it for him) decision making has been bad.
as for the 77%.....how many of them will change their minds this time next season when we are in the same position saying the same things.
Paul Barber one word...................clackers

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Have you watched the Dev Squad recently :D

only on Player
but if we can't get into the play-offs it might be a good idea to play the DS or some of them for the experience, they might surprise some of us

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
I feel sorry for him but that is about it coaching may alright but passionless and not getting plan"A" over to the players + they all need shooting practice or shooting
that is all
thank you and goodnight

**** feeling sorry for Oscar, feel sorry for me and people like me; having to put up with this deluge of shiptoasting every time we lose. :mad:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Our consistent problem is an inability to convert clear-cut chances often enough.

Barnes was not good at this, but we failed to replace him (Grabban was the one we went for, but failed to bring in).

We are now paying a high price for not upgrading the average Barnes.

Simple.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Rewind back to the start of the season. After the truncated off season, what were our expectations this season?

- I would have been satisfied with mid-table.
- Happy with a playoff push.
- Ecstatic with making the playoffs.

There were other unknown/external factors at play. I think the league is stronger this year and we've had more injuries than I would have expected. That makes me happy(ish.) Garcia has until January of next season before any serious questions should be asked IMHO.

I don't find us boring either. We don't score enough but some of our play is outstanding. Would we seriously want to watch what Ipswich served up Saturday, week in week out? They were strong, direct and had a gameplan but they're still far from guaranteed playoff football.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
only on Player
but if we can't get into the play-offs it might be a good idea to play the DS or some of them for the experience, they might surprise some of us

I would rather see the first team surprise us. I couldn't imagine the stick Oscar would get if he went full DS. We still have a game in hand as well so do not dispair just yet. I would be more worried if we were not creating chances.

Last edited:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
my view of OG is probably gleaned from his supposed attacking and shoot on sight policy, which has disappeared in to thin air, yes OK he has not had a lot of luck on the injuries that the team have injured.
why does everyone think that because I have questioned the transparency over Poyets sacking is in some way backing him or liking/loving him, I would not trust him as far as I could throw him or any of the others involved in that fiasco and all of that black time in the clubs history has I can assure you has not coloured my view of OG.
in truth I am beginning to think OG is leaving to much of the team business to Jones, I would also think more of him if he were to have a little passion (something that the previous manager had a little to much of) this of coarse does not make him a good manager.
on a more immediate theme I still have not given up on top 6 or promotion but that will take some sort of earth shattering effort but is still possible (look at what Palace done last season) as I have said before I want to like the bloke but his(was it his or someone else making it for him) decision making has been bad.
as for the 77%.....how many of them will change their minds this time next season when we are in the same position saying the same things.
Paul Barber one word...................clackers

We're 3 points off the playoffs, keep up this drivel and you'll lose what's left of your credibility.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
We're 3 points off the playoffs, keep up this drivel and you'll lose what's left of your credibility.

do you remember the season when Wendy was our manager, we were so close to the play-offs so many times, but never made it.
its a bit like that.
if we had won just a few of the games we have drawn or lost we would be in there already.
whats incredible is we are not there

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"passion" wins you NOTHING.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
"passion" wins you NOTHING.

a little passion
a little know how
I seem to remember MU winning the European cup with a little passion (two goals in the last few mins) and I bet they wish they had some of that now
and I remember seeing the team and the manager on the Brighton Esplanade screaming and shouting with some passion
where is that now ?????

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
a little passion
a little know how
I seem to remember MU winning the European cup with a little passion (two goals in the last few mins) and I bet they wish they had some of that now
and I remember seeing the team and the manager on the Brighton Esplanade screaming and shouting with some passion
where is that now ?????

They won it on ability, belief and a bit of luck. They believed they would always score. Belief is probably the thing our players are lacking, I think they are all passionate enough, I haven't seen any of them not giving their all.

Interesting you keep with the MU analogies, sort of reveals where you are coming from at any rate.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
Oscar certainly isn't out of his depth. Thus far he's broadly kept pace with his predecessor last season. He's done so without a proper pre-season, with a shedload of injuries, and he's had to deal with the club selling one of his two fit strikers.

I'm not expecting play-offs this year, but I'm excited to see what he can achieve next season: continuity often breeds progress, and Burnley have shown us that you can be in the top two even if you don't have the biggest playing budget. We do, however, need more strength up front.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I thought Oscar's comments last night were quite interesting and possibly the first sign of his frustration with the way the club works.

"When we have only one striker then we had to try something different but it’s a problem we have been managing for a long time. We have been crossing our fingers with Leo before not to get injured but it’s a big problem. For a long time I wanted more strikers but it wasn’t possible. We have to try to do better in front of goal with the players we have. It’s difficult now, it’s too late."

I just hope he is given total control over who comes and goes this summer so that the balance of the squad is exactly as he wants it next season. If that means we have to be very light in back-up in some positions or rely on cheap youth teamers to plug gaps so that we can spend our money on the most important positions (i.e. match winners/goalscorers) then so be it.

I also thought these comments were interesting. What we don't know, is why "it wasn't possible" to bring in more strikers (obviously Grabban chose not to sign, for whatever reason).

And are you implying that Garcia has had specific targets this season that have been denied him? I'm not sure that is the case - these were his words towards the end of the August transfer window:-

It’s not easy with the budget to do this job. You have to think about a lot of things, the price, the salary. It was different before in Tel Aviv. We had a sporting director [Jordi Cruyff], and in Spain it’s not usual for the coach or manager to do this job, it’s normally the sporting director. The club and David Burke [head of football operations] are helping me a lot.

I get the impression that Garcia is exactly what his title implies - a coach. Obviously, he will have an idea of the type of player he wants, but I'm not convinced he has a list of specific names he wants to bring in (and that up to now, have been refused).

We have been told that Garcia has final say over who is signed (given budget constraints, of course) - I have no reason to believe that isn't the case - do you?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
They won it on ability, belief and a bit of luck. They believed they would always score. Belief is probably the thing our players are lacking, I think they are all passionate enough, I haven't seen any of them not giving their all.

Interesting you keep with the MU analogies, sort of reveals where you are coming from at any rate.

believe me I don't have any love of MU but I do have admiration for them even more so now, they never knew when to give up and yes I always thought they would score.
I think I might have said this before there are comparisons with OG and Moyes although Moyes does have a lot of sadness in his eyes and why oh why does he put up with Fergie being there, he must see pictures of his disapproving face while watching MOTD
at least OG does not have that every week

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There was no way United were coming to come back once City took the lead. I agree. MOYES OUT!

Moyes is doing a great job, long may it continue ! As an aside, I expected them to lose to City and 0-3 seemed about a par score. Shows how far United have slipped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here