Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sorry Lawro your time is up…..

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
What measures to you use for greatest player, if greatest means 'contribution' you get a different answer than talking about the best 'technical' player. If you look at contribution then longevity of service has to come in. IMO greatest contributor ,in my 50+ years, is Dunk but he is not the best footballer.

If we are looking at best footballer playing for the club then that comes a lot harder, we are playing at our best ever in the hardest league in the world so I would probably go for one of the recent crop ; so probably Caicedo but could have been Mac or Gross based on how they help lift our game to get to 6th.

Clearly a lot of other players have done a lot.

All about opinions

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve never been mad on Lawrenson as a person or pundit but he is quite simply the best player we have ever had play for us.
Vicente only had a few good cameos for us in the 2nd tier irrespective of how good he was with Valencia.
Gross is nearer to Mark than Pedro is at the moment. He is still improving though so who knows for the future.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Goals aside (I know...), I thought yesterday was a million miles from João Pedro's best game for us, especially in the first half. Gave the ball away plenty of times, and a few of his tricks didn't seem to come off. I thought he was pretty ordinary. But then I watched the highlights, and there were clearly a few flicks and neat passes that were spot on, so maybe I was a little unfair. But he's definitely had better overall games for us.

What I do really like about where we are currently, however, is that he's got, what is it, fifteen goals already this season, and yet there is obviously so much more to come from him. He's nowhere near the player he clearly could be yet, and I don't mean that in a negative way. There is still plenty of improvement to come in his decision making, for example, and that's amazing to contemplate. If he's this good now, what could he be in future?

When we spent £30 million on him, I can't have been the only one feeling slightly nervous: that we'd seemingly stepped away from our strategy of finding great value buys and improving them tenfold, and were instead starting to splash the cash. Yet already, that record fee (for us) is looking like fantastic value, and yet another win for the recruitment team.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I will throw another name in to the mix...Alexis Mac Allister, our first ever world cup winner and one of the players of the tournament.
Who,incidentally, has looked nothing like World Beating this arvo against Arsenal and has just been subbed off.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Have a Birmingham STH friend, who also watches us a lot when he can.

He believes Pedro’s performances remind him of a certain Bellingham that played for them.

If so, we could have an absolute gem on our hands.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Mac is a good player. Classy and fashionable, and yes, he won a WC which will always look good. But I thought Mwepu was better. I’m not bringing him in to the convo given how short lived his career was. Same with Pendro, it’s too soon but he’s doing all the right things. Estupinian also, when we look back on this squad, will be realised as the technically perfect footballer he is, but again it’s too soon to say.

Best player to wear the stripes in my opinion is LD hands down and the fact he’s been overlooked by the Wangland set up is a tragedy.
Lewis Dunk is a club legend but if you are judging players based on the pinnacle of their careers, he's not even the best defender to have played for us. You would have to say that (based on his overall career) Wayne bridge was a better player, he won the premier league, FA cup and league cup for Chelsea and had 36 caps for England.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Who,incidentally, has looked nothing like World Beating this arvo against Arsenal and has just been subbed off.
To be fair he is just come back from a horrible injury

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Or Groß but does the OP mean ‘best’?

‘Great’ has a different meaning to ‘best’. Lawro or Pedro are quite clearly neither.

You need a shit load of appearances to be our greatest. These appearances MUST be at the top level. It’s between Dunk and Groß for that title.
Groß for me. He showed us the true quality needed for the Premier League right from the start & did so much to keep us there. Incredibly versatile and consistent, carrying us if others are having a bad day.

He’s definitely not the most exciting, others like Mac, Caicedo and indeed Lawrenson had the greater talent but if you were to build a statue of one player who’s had the greatest influence, he’d get my vote with Dunk a close second.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not really

Maccer has only played 5 games since November 5th in the league. When he was last playing regularly Liverpool were 4th

Just ask pool fans about him. They're not blown away.
Another win for Liverpool with Mac in the line up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
People have always had their own criteria for greatest ever club player, so it really does depend on what you want to use. The Vicente and Mac Allister debates here pretty much prove that point. Mac was world class for a season and a half for us, the middle of which he also won the world cup. But before then, he was no better than, say, Yves Bissouma (which is not to say is a bad standard). In fact, both of them found it a bit of a struggle for over a season and in both cases we could all see there was an excellent player in there if we give them time. No suprise to me that in both cases that pattern has repeated at their new clubs.

What is striking is that Lawro is probably the only player not from the last three or four years that belongs in this conversation. Well maybe Vicente and Bridge, but that's pretty much it.

By the way, it's weird that Dean Saunders never comes up in these conversations. Thick Muppet on talkSport he may be, but what a player he was. Who sacked Cattlin, allowed Mullery to move him to the wing and then sell him for £60,000? The start of a very steep 15 year decline right there.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He’s amazing. I’m not old enough to comment on Lawro or other Albion legends But he’s still not ahead of Dunk, Caicedo or perhaps MacAllister in recent times imo

He does have the potential to exceed them all though.

EDIT - or Vicente
…*cough* Colin Hawkins

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Five best players I have seen play for us and pedro not in there .(even though I think he is a great player

1) Mark Lawrenson ( amazing player and oozed class)
I'll stop there. Those of us who saw Lawro play pretty well all say the same thing. He was also incredibly consistent and never seemed to have a bad or even average game. He was just as good with us as he was with Liverpool. He just went there and continued as he had been with us.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not really

Maccer has only played 5 games since November 5th in the league. When he was last playing regularly Liverpool were 4th

Just ask pool fans about him. They're not blown away.
Yet another win, this time 4-0, with Ale Mac in midfield. After being carried to a World Cup winners medal do you think his Liverpool team mates will now carry him to the EPL title?

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Lewis Dunk is a club legend but if you are judging players based on the pinnacle of their careers, he's not even the best defender to have played for us. You would have to say that (based on his overall career) Wayne bridge was a better player, he won the premier league, FA cup and league cup for Chelsea and had 36 caps for England.
As a left back ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here