Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Sonos help - possibly the most annoying bug ever

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Made with vinyl and splicing the 'tape' it would only have a couple of seconds gap. :lolol:
No need to worry about your streaming service no longer offering your favourite album on their platform either! :rolleyes:
Actually thinking about for the more modern people, how about minidisc a mixed disk in a player connected via aux port on the Bluetooth speaker. No hiss and you can skip a track.

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
hate Sonos, like some attention-seeking child always putting his dirty fingers into a nice cake baked for the whole family.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Unless you can create your own playlists and put them on vinyl instantly in some kind of new "home studio experience" then I believe that's limited to the "concept albums" part of the problem and not the mixes and playlists issue.

Plus mine's in the kitchen. I tend to whack it on when I'm cooking / cleaning to provide some colour to something that would otherwise be me stirring or scrubbing something and looking at a wall. Changing a vinyl every 10 mins doesn't really work then. A seamless soundtrack would be nice, considering that's literally the point of streaming music.
Is there a microwave close by? It does sound like something WiFi related. Can be a bugger to track down though.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I buy vinyl, then the tunes I like I rip from YouTube and stick it on the laptop, then put it on my iPod. Once plugged into my minirig I can play constant Mod music for about a week without playing a tune twice. However, my wife usually limits me to 5 minutes.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Most of the things I’d check out have already been suggested. The only other thing I can think of that hasn’t (I think) been suggested relates to your home network. Just check that you haven’t assigned a static IP address or got an IP conflict with something on the network that is conflicting with the Sonos (or vice versa) - and knocking the connection to the Sonos off briefly each time the mystery device tries to redrive the connection.

Was any new wifi enabled device brought into the home at the same time as the problem started happening? If not, the above is unlikely unless an existing gadget underwent a factory reset.

My only other suggestion is to see if there’s any kind of log file available for the Sonos, and see if there’s anything being recorded in there when the issue occurs, otherwise troubleshooting is a bit time consuming. Good luck, there’s nothing more by irritating when it comes to music, except perhaps Baby Shark.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
this is some metaphor, what is the cake?
Black Forest I hope mmmmmm
859C74E5-2AC8-4109-8291-1CE6D1FE3571.jpeg

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Dunno whether relevant to OP, but just in case: I bought a Sonos Boost for £99 when it was on offer a few weeks ago. Prior to this we had been having regular problems with the WiFi. Sonos (according to telephone help who are amazingly good) know there is a problem with BT Smart Hub as it apparently regularly switches from 2Ghz to 5Ghz channel and, in doing so, drops Sonos. We have had many occasions when speakers are playing music but we cannot control them because the app is NA. Had to turn them off at power point sometimes.
The Boost has been a revelation. As I understand it, the Boost in effect takes Sonos off the existing channels and provides in effect a bespoke WiFi. It is not perfect even now (due I think to us living an 18th century house with thick walls), but many times better.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Unless you can create your own playlists and put them on vinyl instantly in some kind of new "home studio experience" then I believe that's limited to the "concept albums" part of the problem and not the mixes and playlists issue.

Plus mine's in the kitchen. I tend to whack it on when I'm cooking / cleaning to provide some colour to something that would otherwise be me stirring or scrubbing something and looking at a wall. Changing a vinyl every 10 mins doesn't really work then. A seamless soundtrack would be nice, considering that's literally the point of streaming music.
If it's any help, I used to love around the corner from a jukebox saleroom in Sheffield, I expect delivery could be arranged: https://www.wurlitzer.co.uk/

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’m troubleshooting this issue as best as I can, but no luck yet. There was, however, a firmware update roughly around the time of the issue starting.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here