Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Songs - You still remember the first time you heard them

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Great thread [MENTION=12517]herecomesaregular[/MENTION]

The first thing that comes to mind is in the very early 60s, on my dad's vintage valve radio (that I now own) hearing this piece of furturistic wonderment, in our living room on Eley Drive in Rottingdean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPDvsLSnUGc

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Great thread [MENTION=12517]herecomesaregular[/MENTION]

The first thing that comes to mind is in the very early 60s, on my dad's vintage valve radio (that I now own) hearing this piece of furturistic wonderment, in our living room on Eley Drive in Rottingdean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPDvsLSnUGc

Fading in and out on Radio Luxembourg on my transistor radio whilst lying in bed is how I remember that amazing track

Here’s another song that left me slack jawed on hearing it for the first time

https://youtu.be/WANNqr-vcx0

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Derek and the Dominos - Layla, on the car radio driving through St Ives (in my dad's Morris Traveller, 6 beautiful horse power, top speed 45 mph)

ZZ Top - La Grange, on the transistor at work, George the Chemist, Boundary Road, Portslade

The Smiths - This Charming man, in my flat in Vancouver, with a drifty in-and-out FM signal from KYYX Seattle :love:

And perhaps most memorable, The Tubes' Young and Rich, in our flat in Fulham, when I was an undergrad, with a nice level of delta 9 THC in my circulation, when you get that 'oh my fuxy' moment of utter unmatchable dope-fuelled glory.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Was walking to youth club with my mates. One had a transistor radio and Silence is Golden by the Tremeloes came on. That always sticks in my memory.

In the kitchen of my student house with housemates, My Sweet Lord came on the radio. That was another jaw-dropping moment for us all.

First heard Sultans of Swing on the car radio but not sure exactly where, somewhere near Grimsby I think.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am not much of a James Taylor fan as everything sounds the same BUT I was lying in the sum in Ibiza one afternoon in the summer of 71 when some Americans who had just arrived in the house next door put this on LOUD. It was the first time I’d ever heard James Taylor and for whatever reason the memory has stuck

https://youtu.be/k2x0fPgAj_Y

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'm glad I started this as I am very much enjoying reading people's anecdotes but I accidentally posted two identical threads. I did PM a Mod to combine them but no joy - if a Mod reads this can you combine them into one thread please?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm glad I started this as I am very much enjoying reading people's anecdotes but I accidentally posted two identical threads. I did PM a Mod to combine them but no joy - if a Mod reads this can you combine them into one thread please?
Just "report" your own post and a Mod will soon see it.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
herecomesaregular;100761 35 said:
I was on a long, wintery walk listening to some tunes when I realised there is only ONE song in my life, so far, that I can still remember the exact first time I heard it. I was amazed that there is only one.

The first time I heard it was on Steve Lamacq's Single of the Week show in 1991 and Bernard Sumner absolutely loved it.

Made me wonder if this is unusual? Do you remember the very first time you heard a particular song(s)? I know famous musicians say that hearing a particular song changed their life and led them into music but I've often wondered if that was just bullshit.

The first time I heard "Hey Jude" was on the Stuart Henry Sunday (Saturday?) Morning Radio show on Radio One. I believe it was "a world exclusive first time anywhere" thing?

The first time I heard "Warm and Tender Love" by Percy Sledge was when Jonnie Walker played it at 1030pm for "Kissing in the Car", and today I have a Kissing in the Car a sticker on the windscreen of my car. Caroline Continues.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
"Rosalie" by Thin Lizzy - yes I know it is a cover of a Bob Seger track. Convinced me to like loud stuff with guitars.

Good call! Very similar experience for me. That single got me into Live and Dangerous which is still is one of the greatest live albums. At the same time I picked up Down to Earth by Rainbow. By Ritchie's standards very commercial and not so much dungeons and dragons but still his brilliant riffs.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

DJ Rap and Aston - Vertigo (Tumbling remix)
First heard this during a DJ Seduction set in the Underground at Sterns 6th August 1993. I lost my shit when this came on, an absolute banger and still a firm favourite on my journey to and from work.
I really do miss my raving days.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Was staying on a campsite in Es Cana in Ibiza around 1982. Just down the road there was an outside bar with a dancing area we used to frequent every evening. They used to play this every night. I'd never heard it before but I loved it and would completely lose myself to it on the dancefloor as soon as it came on. Whenever I hear it I'm always reminded of that bar in Es Cana.

Dancing Barefoot : Patti Smith

https://youtu.be/1Z9G8BdnFGs

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

After listening to my dads trad jazz for years, when a yoof, this came on the radio in 1979, and my ears were re-tuned.
Fab memories.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Bowie 'Ashes To Ashes' was my TOTP moment and still my favourite UK #1 of all time ... something that is extremely unlikely to ever change

BUT

I came across a little backstreet record shop in Bedford in 1994 and had a chat with the chap working there and he put on Guided By Voices, 'Vampire On Titus'. If not for that there is a very real chance that I would never have heard what has become both my favourite and most expensive and rewarding musical obsession.

I now have nearly all the Guided By Voices/ Robert Pollard's albums ... which is a lot as there are about 120 of them.

This was the song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOCAXKfOXTQ&ab_channel=diegocombi

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A baking hot summer day in an ordinary little street of red-brick terraced houses caled Alexandra Road in Basingstoke (don't ask - I just happened to live there at the time!), an afternoon so hot and redolent with summer that you could smell the tarmac and feel the heat radiating from the brick front garden walls. Through an open window came the sound of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. Somehow, we just knew it was The Beatles and the new Sergeant Pepper LP.
We got off our bikes and listened in awe - a small crowd gradually gathered, all just standing, listening.
Later on, at the Fair, in the middle of all the usual (and many excellent) singles of the day, came the sound again of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. Again, the whole place just stopped, almost silent except the whirring of the machines and the thrum of diesel generators. The people running the fair knew what they were doing though - as soon as the track finished, it was off with Sergeant Pepper and on with the Four Tops, or the Stones, or someone, and business recommenced - they realised that as long as they were playing Sergeant Pepper everybody would stand and listen, and they weren't taking any money!
And so over to the boxing booth, to see if anybody was going to take up the offer of a fiver if they could survive three (very fixed!) rounds. Somebody did (not me, I hasten to add - although the barker was so damn good he had me thinking about it, which would have been sheer suicide!) and we paid our money and trooped into the tent. The lad nearly made it too - and probably doubled his fiver in money thrown into the ring.

Oh the days!

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Neither a PM or a Report has made any difference, perhaps it can't be done.

I've just seen the report and merged the threads.

It can be done but helps if you can give the url of both if you know them, as I had to find the "other" thread.

Good thread BTW with some nice choices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here