Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Songs that stir childhood memories

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Most of these Radio themes were started during or just after the War, I was born in 1953 and we didn't get our first TV until 1957/58, so the Radio (not unlike the one pictured) was on nearly all day. Most of these programmes ran on the BBC's Light Program until it was replaced by Radio 1 in 1967, and these themes were embedded in my mind as a child.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I also really liked that song at the time and was a closet Peter Skellern fan as a child. Another one which I liked, which as a committed Slade fan wasn't my usual taste, was "Sugar Me" by Lyndsey de Paul, which I've just checked was in the charts at the same time as "You're a Lady". The fact that I really fancied Lyndsey de Paul might have influenced my appreciation of her music.

Not heard of so just watched on YouTube. Thank you, nice song. Catchy. And you can be forgiven for fancying her then, she’s gorgeous!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Not one for the musical purists but songs that you remember from your childhood. Songs that you might hear now and triggers a memory or a feeling or even just a smell.
This one reminds me of rainy Sunday evenings, playing on the rug in front of the open fire that had burn marks from the flaming coal that spat out from time to time. Probably listening to the top 20 on the radio before Sing Something Simple came on.

Funnily enough, it's your words that are so evocative. 'playing on the rug in front of the open fire that had burn marks from the flaming coal that spat out from time to time.' describes such a different time. Our carpet used to be dotted with little burn marks that my wife just wouldn't tolerate in this day and age. Reversing back from the burn marks takes me to this little gem that coincidentally was a favourite of one of my heroes (John Lennon) from just a year or two later, played on our big old stand up Echo radiogram in the corner. I can smell the warmth from it now:

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
I'm guessing you watched This Morning this morning (Friday) where he performed this song. He wrote some ok songs did Gilbert.

You wouldn't have thought though that one of his songs would be sampled by a rap artist (Alone Again, Naturally), for which O'Sullivan won substantial damages in the first copyright infringement case regarding the use of sampling.
Actually no. That's pure coincidence as I live in Brazil and don't have the pleasure of UK daytime TV :lol:
I was actually being a little reflective as our Staffy that we got from Battersea, and took with us to Brazil, sadly died on Thursday.
I was playing some old songs on youtube that reminded me of my parents, who both have passed away in the last few years and that particular one brought back some warm and fuzzy feelings.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
In the years after World War 2 my family like many others didn't have TV so the Wireless (ie. Radio) was our world. The BBC broadcast a programme called Children's Hour every weekday at 5pm. One of the most popular regular programmes was "Toytown" the most memorable character for me was Larry the Lamb. To answer the OP's question, the title music was about the first minute of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F853B9RESfo

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Message in a bottle 1979 ,sat on a bus travelling from Freshwater on the millie road IOW towards Blackgang . A guy had it playing on a Radio ,the sun was setting over the sea . Simple happy childhood memories.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
As an 8 year old, I remember Ghost Town by The Specials being played in the evening after the street party celebrating Charles and Diana's wedding.

Seems a very apt song for the time we now live in.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Message in a bottle 1979 ,sat on a bus travelling from Freshwater on the millie road IOW towards Blackgang . A guy had it playing on a Radio ,the sun was setting over the sea . Simple happy childhood memories.

October 79 half term, we had a family holiday to Cornwall, great memories as one of my older brothers came too.

I always associate it with Message in a Bottle, as well as XTC and the Buggles being belted out on Radio 1.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
October 79 half term, we had a family holiday to Cornwall, great memories as one of my older brothers came too.

I always associate it with Message in a Bottle, as well as XTC and the Buggles being belted out on Radio 1.

Buggles VKTRS is one of my all time favs. Classic pop. Brilliant.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Actually no. That's pure coincidence as I live in Brazil and don't have the pleasure of UK daytime TV :lol:
I was actually being a little reflective as our Staffy that we got from Battersea, and took with us to Brazil, sadly died on Thursday.
I was playing some old songs on youtube that reminded me of my parents, who both have passed away in the last few years and that particular one brought back some warm and fuzzy feelings.

Condolences MT.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Whenever my Dad was home from an overseas posting he would play his classical records (loudly), so couldn't escape this

And when waiting for Sunday lunch, listening to Family Favourites

Finally a single from early childhood

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Whenever my Dad was home from an overseas posting he would play his classical records (loudly), so couldn't escape this

And when waiting for Sunday lunch, listening to Family Favourites.

My Dad used to blast out the 1812 Overture on Sunday mornings on his lovely Pioneer hifi separates, much to annoyance of my Mum.

Also:

I still love those two pieces of music.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports