Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Songs that stir childhood memories

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
TV Themes: The Onedian Line, High Chaparral (obvs!) and Flashing Blade
Mum & Dads House parties: Boney M, ABBA, Beatles, Bee Gees and Disco
Mum only: Gilbert OSullivan, Carpenters, Petula Clark, Captain & Tennile...

The following song especially just makes me cry remembering my old mum. She died not long ago, I’ve still not come to terms with her death. But I really remember it as a kid. It was one of her favourites. Knowing she was terminally ill, a few months before she died, I did her ‘a tape’ of songs from my childhood ie THIS thread! Basically songs you heard them, your parents, play around the house (in between Pinky & Perky’s hits for me and my brother!) She loved the tape, and hadn’t heard this particular track for many many years. She immediately stopped when I played it to her and a tear appeared in her eye. She said she’s not heard in years, that it was one of her all time favourites, and that it was just beautiful. Because she was a northern lass, I think the brass section was especially poignant for her.

Anyway, I give you (for she was right) a truly beautiful song by the great Peter Skellern with “You’re a Lady”. Miss you mum, RIP. :) x

https://youtu.be/U-hNZ5ichrE

Well done you, that’s moving :thumbsup:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Seven years old and this record was in the charts 1976 that started a love affair with rockabilly....
Hank Mizell recorded this in 1958, he was working in a garage and told his record had been re released in the British charts and was number 1 in Holland.

Bizarrely the Fall covered this song, sounds nothing like this.
https://youtu.be/_A3D_lCZDsE

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Seven years old and this record was in the charts 1976 that started a love affair with rockabilly....
Hank Mizell recorded this in 1958, he was working in a garage and told his record had been re released in the British charts and was number 1 in Holland.

Bizarrely the Fall covered this song, sounds nothing like this.
https://youtu.be/_A3D_lCZDsE
Always nice to see Pan's People again - even if they are wearing rather more clothes than usual!

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
TV Themes: The Onedian Line, High Chaparral (obvs!) and Flashing Blade
Mum & Dads House parties: Boney M, ABBA, Beatles, Bee Gees and Disco
Mum only: Gilbert OSullivan, Carpenters, Petula Clark, Captain & Tennile...

The following song especially just makes me cry remembering my old mum. She died not long ago, I’ve still not come to terms with her death. But I really remember it as a kid. It was one of her favourites. Knowing she was terminally ill, a few months before she died, I did her ‘a tape’ of songs from my childhood ie THIS thread! Basically songs you heard them, your parents, play around the house (in between Pinky & Perky’s hits for me and my brother!) She loved the tape, and hadn’t heard this particular track for many many years. She immediately stopped when I played it to her and a tear appeared in her eye. She said she’s not heard in years, that it was one of her all time favourites, and that it was just beautiful. Because she was a northern lass, I think the brass section was especially poignant for her.

Anyway, I give you (for she was right) a truly beautiful song by the great Peter Skellern with “You’re a Lady”. Miss you mum, RIP. :) x

Lovely story mate

smartferndale

Mar 21, 2013
I thought you meant songs that go back to school days and singing in class with Mrs Cheffins. Michael Finnegan, Bobby Shaftoe,, The drunken sailor, Be kind to your web footed friends and for certain lads Cocaine Bill and Morphine Sue.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
DJ Rap and Aston - Vertigo.
I first heard this listening to mix tapes in my bedroom while teaching myself to DJ. The first time I heard this at a rave I got goosebumps like I can't describe. The pure joy of hearing this track being played on a proper sound system while I was one of many contestants in a gurning competition was just pure bliss and I still vividly remember that exact moment to this day.

Monty & Jay Prescott - Are you on drugs?
Me and both my brother's had gone to Helter Skelter at the Sanctuary in Milton Keynes. Me and one brother are really into Dutch hardcore, other brother hadn't heard much of it but we convinced him to come upstairs to the Technodrome as DJ Scorpio was playing. He walked in with us and this tune dropped, me and like minded brother started chucking shapes and bouncing about like idiots, not so like minded brother grabbed us and said "You ever bring me in here again and I'll kill you!"
Good times.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Not one for the musical purists but songs that you remember from your childhood. Songs that you might hear now and triggers a memory or a feeling or even just a smell.
This one reminds me of rainy Sunday evenings, playing on the rug in front of the open fire that had burn marks from the flaming coal that spat out from time to time. Probably listening to the top 20 on the radio before Sing Something Simple came on.

I'm guessing you watched This Morning this morning (Friday) where he performed this song. He wrote some ok songs did Gilbert.

You wouldn't have thought though that one of his songs would be sampled by a rap artist (Alone Again, Naturally), for which O'Sullivan won substantial damages in the first copyright infringement case regarding the use of sampling.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

I also really liked that song at the time and was a closet Peter Skellern fan as a child. Another one which I liked, which as a committed Slade fan wasn't my usual taste, was "Sugar Me" by Lyndsey de Paul, which I've just checked was in the charts at the same time as "You're a Lady". The fact that I really fancied Lyndsey de Paul might have influenced my appreciation of her music.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
"Gudbuy T'Jane" : Slade

Reminds me of Christmas 1972. Was the first single I ever personally owned, bought for me that Christmas.

Unfortunately it had a scratch so had a tendency to jump on the titular line. I was wise enough not to draw attention to this minor defect for fear of incurring my father's wrath who would have only scolded me for being an ungrateful little shit.

Sadly my sister didn't have the same survival instinct when a year later on Christmas day 1973 she unrestrainedly expressed her extreme disappointment that her copy of Marie Osmond's "Paper Roses", which she had specifically requested as one of her Christmas presents, had a scratch causing it to jump which completely ruined her listening experience. I knew she was making a mistake as soon as she began loudly expressing her dismay, and as I had anticipated her reaction did not go down at all well with our father.

The whole episode cast a giant shadow over what might have otherwise been a very enjoyable day.

Here's "Gudbuy T'Jane as it should have sounded. I'll spare you having to listen to "Paper Roses" plus I'd rather not dredge up any further recollections of that unfortunate day...

https://youtu.be/CFAd-zpqWiU

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here