Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Songs featuring the capitals of the 50 states

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Shizuoka Dolphin said:
Boston?

Errrr... I think you'll find Massachusetts is not a state actually... Don't you people know anything? :jester: :jester:

What is it then ? A Commonwealth ? I think you'll find that it's regated as a state.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Shizuoka Dolphin said:
You, me and the rest of the world may know that, but try telling it to The Large One... :jester:
If you had bothered to read the posts, you can see the acknowledgement of the designation of their state/commonwealth status. But youw won't. You are instead getting more and more hysterical with every post. Please. For your own sake, get over yourself.

Anyhoo, it appears that they don't like to refer to themselves as states. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_or_State?

Last edited:

Does this help?

State Capital

Alabama Montgomery
Alaska Juneau
Arizona Phoenix
Arkansas Little Rock
California Sacramento
Colorado Denver
Connecticut Hartford
Delaware Dover
Florida Tallahassee
Georgia Atlanta
Hawaii Honolulu
Idaho Boise
Illinois Springfield
Indiana Indianapolis
Iowa Des Moines
Kansas Topeka
Kentucky Frankfort
Louisiana Baton Rouge
Maine Augusta
Maryland Annapolis
Massachusetts Boston
Michigan Lansing
Minnesota St. Paul
Mississippi Jackson
Missouri Jefferson City
Montana Helena
Nebraska Lincoln
Nevada Carson City
New Hampshire Concord
New Jersey Trenton
New Mexico Santa Fe
New York Albany
North Carolina Raleigh
North Dakota Bismarck
Ohio Columbus
Oklahoma Oklahoma City
Oregon Salem
Pennsylvania Harrisburg
Rhode Island Providence
South Carolina Columbia
South Dakota Pierre
Tennessee Nashville
Texas Austin
Utah Salt Lake City
Vermont Montpelier
Virginia Richmond
Washington Olympia
West Virginia Charleston
Wisconsin Madison
Wyoming Cheyenne

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
The Large One said:
You are getting more and more hysterical with every post.

Please. For your own sake, get over yourself.

Anyhoo, they don't like to refer to themselves as states. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_or_State?

More and more hysterical, eh? :lol: Interesting word choice. Thus far I'd say things had been the polar opposite; carefully considered and life-sappingly dull.

If you're going to start quoting Wikipedia, then for the sake of amusement, allow me to quote the first line of that link:

Four of the constituent states of the United States officially designate themselves Commonwealths.

Hysterical enough for ya? :jester:

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
The Large One said:
If you had bothered to read the posts, you can see the acknowledgement of the designation of their state/commonwealth status. But youw won't. You are instead getting more and more hysterical with every post. Please. For your own sake, get over yourself.

Anyhoo, it appears that they don't like to refer to themselves as states. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_or_State?

In reply to your newly constructed post, the crux of this increasingly mororic exchange was your original post wherein you insisted there were 46 states, FACT (emphasis yours) when there are fifty (official titles being irrelevant in the classification of states). You made a rod for your own back with such intentionally provocative smuggery.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Shizuoka Dolphin said:
More and more hysterical, eh? :lol: Interesting word choice. Thus far I'd say things had been the polar opposite; carefully considered and life-sappingly dull.

If you're going to start quoting Wikipedia, then for the sake of amusement, allow me to quote the first line of that link:

Hysterical enough for ya? :jester:
Allow me to quote Wikipedia for you...

Four of the constituent states of the United States officially designate themselves Commonwealths.

But then, what part of 'No, they're Commonwealths, although they operate within the Union the same way that States do' so passes you by?

I make one 'did you know' comment about the 46 states, you then proceed to make two posts about boring men in musty pubs, you admit to your own sense of tedium when posting on this subject, then proceed to re-gurgitate in another thread with a view to scoring a point with another poster who probably doesn't care, then point out again how dull this all is.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
The Large One said:
Allow me to quote Wikipedia for you...

But then, what part of 'No, they're Commonwealths, although they operate within the Union the same way that States do' so passes you by?

I make one 'did you know' comment about the 46 states, you then proceed to make two posts about boring men in musty pubs, you admit to your own sense of tedium when posting on this subject, then proceed to re-gurgitate in another thread with a view to scoring a point with another poster who probably doesn't care, then point out again how dull this all is.

:rolleyes:

I'm sure you're not unfamiliar with the phenomenon of otherwise uninteresting threads / topics / debates becoming all-consuming when faced with the alternative of having to actually do some work. :)

This semantic dance could go on all close-season. You know you're right, I know I'm right - we're not going to agree, so let's agree to disagree, make friends, and then ruffle each others hair in an "Oh, you" kind of way when I come in to buy a "46 States" T-Shirt at Christmas. :kiss:

Deal?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Nah. I want a fight.

Let me put it this way, Netherlands is a state (note the small 's') with its own legislative powers, judiciary, tax-raising powers etc but is designated a 'Kingdom'. Similarly, France is a state (some wags might refer to it as being 'in a state' - boom-boom) with its own legislative powers, judiciary, tax-raising powers etc, but is designated a 'Republic'. Texas is a state with its own legislative powers, judiciary, tax-raising powers etc, and is designated a 'State'. Virginia is a state with its own legislative powers, judiciary, tax-raising powers etc, but is designated a 'Commonwealth'.

In other words, to refer to Virginia as 'The State of Virginia' is not correct, no more than it is to refer to Texas as, say, the 'Republic of Texas' (even though the nation as a whole is a republic), nor the Netherlands as, say 'The Commonwealth of the Netherlands'.

Why is the nation not referred to as the United States and Commonwealths of America? No idea.

Sorry, just had to clarify my original post of last night.

There, now we can agree. :p :kiss:

Last edited:

And then there's ...

The United Mexican States, the official name of Mexico

And what about these? ...

United States of Belgium, a confederation that existed during the year 1790
Republic of the United States of Brazil, the name of Brazil between 1889 and 1968
United States of Central America, a defunct 19th century federation of the nations of Central America
United States of Colombia, name held by Colombia between 1863 and 1886
United States of Indonesia, name of the country from 1949 to 1950
United States of the Ionian Islands, former British protectorate from 1815 to 1864
United States of Venezuela from 1864 to April 15, 1953

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
The Large One said:
Nah. I want a fight.

Let me put it this way, Netherlands is a state (note the small 's') with its own legislative powers, judiciary, tax-raising powers etc but is designated a 'Kingdom'. Similarly, France is a state (some wags might refer to it as being 'in a state' - boom-boom) with its own legislative powers, judiciary, tax-raising powers etc, but is designated a 'Republic'. Texas is a state with its own legislative powers, judiciary, tax-raising powers etc, and is designated a 'State'. Virginia is a state with its own legislative powers, judiciary, tax-raising powers etc, but is designated a 'Commonwealth'.

In other words, to refer to Virginia as 'The State of Virginia' is not correct, no more than it is to refer to Texas as, say, the 'Republic of Texas' (even though the nation as a whole is a republic), nor the Netherlands as, say 'The Commonwealth of the Netherlands'.

Why is the nation not referred to as the United States and Commonwealths of America? No idea.

Sorry, just had to clarify my original post of last night.

There, now we can agree. :p :kiss:

I appreciate all of the above, but my point has always been that while those four states may officially be called commonwealths it has no meaning greater than different words printed on a piece of paper. The two titles are not distinct like a republic and a commonwealth in the traditional definition of the words. The political constitutions are identical and the term is entirely interchangable with State.

Any documention you may care to produce on Kentucky, for example, will invariably state "The Commonwealth of Kentucky is a state within the USA" or similar. I'd say that the best way to describe the US is that there are forty six states which use the term in their official title, and four that don't.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Shizuoka Dolphin said:
I appreciate all of the above, but my point has always been that while those four states may officially be called commonwealths it has no meaning greater than different words printed on a piece of paper. The two titles are not distinct like a republic and a commonwealth in the traditional definition of the words. The political constitutions are identical and the term is entirely interchangable with State.

Any documention you may care to produce on Kentucky, for example, will invariably state "The Commonwealth of Kentucky is a state within the USA" or similar. I'd say that the best way to describe the US is that there are forty six states which use the term in their official title, and four that don't.
Which is what I said.

Wahey! We agree. :clap: :clap2: :clap:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Shizuoka Dolphin said:
That the four states which don't have the word 'state' in their official title are still states?

Good, glad we're on the same page. :)
Yes, I did say that.

...Virginia is a state with its own legislative powers, judiciary, tax-raising powers etc, but is designated a 'Commonwealth'...

It's a state, but not a State.

These Americans are so f***ing pedantic, no?

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
The Large One said:
Yes, I did say that.

...Virginia is a state with its own legislative powers, judiciary, tax-raising powers etc, but is designated a 'Commonwealth'...

It's a state, but not a State.

These Americans are so f***ing pedantic, no?

Well I was never arguing that there are 50 States rather than 50 states, so I fear we've both been wasting our time somewhat over the last 24 hours!

For the record, your initial post stated there are 46 states FACT (small 's') which, by the looks of your above post (that Virginia is a state, but not a State), you now conceed there are fifty.

I need a drink.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Shizuoka Dolphin said:
Well I was never arguing that there are 50 States rather than 50 states, so I fear we've both been wasting our time somewhat over the last 24 hours!

For the record, your initial post stated there are 46 states FACT (small 's') which, by the looks of your above post (that Virginia is a state, but not a State), you now conceed there are fifty.

I need a drink.
f***, so this whole debate has hinged on a typo?

I need a drink.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
There is a Hymn "St Paul the Apostle protector of us all" (minnesota)

and another....... "Under dark Providence" (Rhode Island)

:angel:

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
fact.jpg

Go on. I'd buy one. :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here