Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Something that has always puzzled me..

AlbionFan

Aug 14, 2003
Sompting
Astronomers are able to look through a telescope and see distant stars as they were billions of years ago, so I was wondering, why don’t we sent a telescope up into space say about 100 light years away from the earth so that we can see what was happening 100 year ago?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Astronomers are able to look through a telescope and see distant stars as they were billions of years ago, so I was wondering, why don’t we sent a telescope up into space say about 100 light years away from the earth so that we can see what was happening 100 year ago?

Because by the time it got there 100 years ago would be somewhere in the future and we would already have pretty decent records of what happened (100 light years is a pretty long way to go)?

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
You are joking, Albion fan? Nobody could really be that dim, surely.

Anyway, to look back at Earth's history, the telescope would have to travel far faster than the speed of light (186,000 miles per SECOND). And it would have to be some telescope. Are you getting an idea of the feasability now?

biggles

Feb 21, 2009

doh , 100 light years , that is the time it takes for light to travel 100 years , i think it takes light 8 mins to travel from the sun to earth so yep its doh :mendoza:

AlbionFan

Aug 14, 2003
Sompting
Correct, light does take 8 minutes to reach the earth from the sun and 1.2 seconds from the moon. So in theory it would be possible, just highly improbable. I still love the idea though.

Ooh I like the idea of teleporting, that would solve the distance problem.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Not as silly as it sounds. The universe isn't flat, so in theory you can travel big distances in a short amount of time by going through a wormhole. Once we work out how to break through the fabric of time and space we'll be sorted :thumbsup:

Andrew

May 15, 2008
Sussex
Correct, light does take 8 minutes to reach the earth from the sun and 1.2 seconds from the moon. So in theory it would be possible, just highly improbable. I still love the idea though.

Ooh I like the idea of teleporting, that would solve the distance problem.

Apparently they have made a teleporter and tested it on a fly and it came out with it's wing in it's ass

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Even of you got it out that far, it would take longer than 100 yrs for the pictures to come back as I assume they would be radio waves, and thus travel slower?

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
A light year is a measure of lenght not time. It is the distance travelled by light in one year and measures approximately 100,000,000,000,000km. To send something 100 light years away it would need to travel 100,000,000,000,000,000km or 75,000,000,000,000,000miles. The fastest rocket was the Saturn V which travelled at 25,000 miles per hour. To reach a distance of 100 light years it would take 3,000,000,000,000 hours or 342 million years.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You mean like Hubble ?

Hubble isn't a 100 light years from the earth so it doesn't match his criteria. And even if we COULD get a telescope 100 light years away ... it would still take 100 years for the pictures from the telescope to be beamed back to earth so we'd be no better off.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
If you beat the speed of light what would happen? Would you go forward in time?

I don't think anyone really knows. However, the closer that you get to light speed the more that time slows down.

In theory, at light speed time is stationary in relative terms. This would mean that you could travel an infinite distance at light speed without ageing, even though the process of travelling would in itself take time.

In effect, this implies that you could travel a vast distance through space at light speed and on returning to earth you would be the same age at which you left.

The process of travelling would take time, though you would not age during the process.

You could call this going forward in time as everything you left behind would have aged, and you would not have.

I need a drink, it's too early for this sort of stuff...

Andrew

May 15, 2008
Sussex
I don't think anyone really knows. However, the closer that you get to light speed the more that time slows down.

In theory, at light speed time is stationary in relative terms. This would mean that you could travel an infinite distance at light speed without ageing, even though the process of travelling would in itself take time.

In effect, this implies that you could travel a vast distance through space at light speed and on returning to earth you would be the same age at which you left.

The process of travelling would take time, though you would not age during the process.

You could call this going forward in time as everything you left behind would have aged, and you would not have.

I need a drink, it's too early for this sort of stuff...

So your saying that time ages more than you the more and more you get closer to the speed of light?

That is very confusing especially at 9 o'clock.:thumbsup:

If the fasted ever rocket was 25,000 mph, those this mean they were going at 7 miles or so a second?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here