[Albion] Something HAS to be done about the home atmosphere

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not necessarily.

We're becoming a big club now. There are many thousands of young fans that have only ever known us in the Premier League and are super passionate about The Albion and always will be.

If there is enough of them, and they are determined enough, they could create an atmosphere that drives what happens on the pitch, not the other way around like you're expecting.
A big club? Really. What's happening and what has happened is great but you can hardly describe us as being a big club or are becoming one.

I also doubt there are 'many thousands of young fans' as you describe. We were pretty much selling out the Amex when we were in the championship!!

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
A big club? Really. What's happening and what has happened is great but you can hardly describe us as being a big club or are becoming one.

I also doubt there are 'many thousands of young fans' as you describe. We were pretty much selling out the Amex when we were in the championship!!

We've attracted, yes, tens of thousands new supporters during our time in the Premier League. We are now by far the most popular club in Sussex, following a lost few decades, where we probably weren't even in the top 10.

The kids & young adults that you see in Albion shirts everywhere these days are likely to be true supporters and here to stay, for life.

& I'm hoping they can do something that we couldn't, and create an electric atmosphere week in week out, regardless of how we're performing.

Reactions: abc

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
What happens on the pitch drives the atmosphere, always has and always will.
Disagree. Sometimes it does but the organic atmosphere created for the Chelsea and Sheff Wed games for example had nothing to do with what was about to happen on the pitch. Everyone knew and could feel the atmosphere building 10 mins before the game and that drove the players. They should be able to hear us in the tunnel and when they can it definitely makes a difference. Somehow that's what we need more of but I fear that the answer - which is and has always been putting the two singing areas of the North Stand together will never happen.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Disagree. Sometimes it does but the organic atmosphere created for the Chelsea and Sheff Wed games for example had nothing to do with what was about to happen on the pitch. Everyone knew and could feel the atmosphere building 10 mins before the game and that drove the players. They should be able to hear us in the tunnel and when they can it definitely makes a difference. Somehow that's what we need more of but I fear that the answer - which is and has always been putting the two singing areas of the North Stand together will never happen.
I agree about the atmosphere building before the game but with regard to Chelsea last year, that kept going because it was long before we scored and of course there were pantomime villains involved. Most games the atmosphere can be good at the start but unless we get a good start it can quickly dissipate.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We've attracted, yes, tens of thousands new supporters during our time in the Premier League. We are now by far the most popular club in Sussex, following a lost few decades, where we probably weren't even in the top 10.

The kids & young adults that you see in Albion shirts everywhere these days are likely to be true supporters and here to stay, for life.

& I'm hoping they can do something that we couldn't, and create an electric atmosphere week in week out, regardless of how we're performing.
We probably do have tens of thousands of new supporters but they aren't necessarily the ones in the stadium, surely? Or, are you suggesting that most of the fans from the championship days and before no longer go. I would suggest that since we moved to the Amex, local support has been building, not just since we have been in the EPL.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
This is how to spur on the Albion. Not the Liverpool version dross, god that bores me to death.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I agree about the atmosphere building before the game but with regard to Chelsea last year, that kept going because it was long before we scored and of course there were pantomime villains involved. Most games the atmosphere can be good at the start but unless we get a good start it can quickly dissipate.

Speaking of pantomime villains and atmosphere, 7 seconds in

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
This is how to spur on the Albion. Not the Liverpool version dross, god that bores me to death.

Gilmour: "Crowd's really getting behind us aren't they?"
Dunk: "no, this is the Liverpool version of 'Albion'. These are a bunch of JCL DFL ****s. Just let the other team have the ball, I'm not putting myself out there for these pricks"
March: "Seems a bit extreme Lewis"
Dunk: "f*** you Solly"

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Backing tracks Is the answer. And a much bigger and better pa system!

Up to 90% of bands, including most of the biggest bands playing big stadiums use them and the sound engineers are so good at mixing the sound you probably wouldn't ever notice.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
If people have genuine suggestions regarding things that could be done to improve match day atmosphere then please email the fan advisory board.... fanadvisoryboard@brightonandhovealbion.com

Match day atmosphere is something they have been specifically asked to look into by Mr Bloom.

I know some sneer at the purpose of the FAB but nothing will change if you dont take positive actions.

Good point. So the club must also believe a LOT more could be done to improve it at home

I'm sure we'll never create the amazing noise and spectacle of the 3 euro away games with their incredible noise (especially in Marseille p), flags, drums and flares. (Which is a shame) but there is lots of room to improve

Surely moving the away end is number 1. Why give them the luxury of behind the goal. Get them next to the north and i'm certain the decibel levels would instantly rise

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
The manager and players often report of the armosphere at the amex being great post match. So its either not quite accurate or the acoustics really do drive all the noise onto the pitch and not across to the other stands

Putting a huge singing section in the middle of the north would help for sure

And please PLEASE can someone remove the words on the big screen to GOSBS - its up there with the skin crawling cringe of goal music.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
We have been served a regular smorgasbord of shite, away, this season TBF.
If it was solely down to how good we are playing the atmospheres’ of my youth would have been worse than they are in recent times, I’m pleased to say that is not the case so that position doesn’t wash.

That said, theres no doubt it’s more than one underlying issue, which makes it all the more difficult to solve.

Personally speaking, and based on my experience of great atmostpheres from the past, there’s simply not enough young male fans pissed. We are a very sober lot, as we are as a society more in general.

We therefore have lots of sober up tight fans, (as this board essentially demonstrates), and they are not offset by enough pissed up Herberts. I think that’s why the Euro ultra model is an attractive alternative to those searching for this holy grail of footballing atmostpheres.

Interestingly, of the euro away games we played this season Marseilles and Rome had the best atmospheres but having strolled round the home ends/old port/top of via flaminio before those matches the home fans milling about weren’t in bars getting on it, they were sitting about outside smoking weed.

I think that’s why they need these fan groups with silly names like the script from the warriors and Capo leader characters, they possess a very different mindset, and essentially are happy to be told what to do and sing.

So, let’s try a happy hour on the booze from 12-3 in the ground and/or a discount (if you have a season ticket) in the pubs round the station before the game and see if that works.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Really?

How about if the West and East Stands could be arsed to join in, with at least one of the songs being sung in the North?
Thank you, I’ve been playing bingo on this thread and your comments have given me a full house :thumbsup: :lolol:
I’m actually surprised it took this long for someone to mention the West not joining in.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How can the players hear the fans when they’re in the tunnel when the PA is screaming out?

For those wanting an ‘electric’ atmosphere, it is organic not automatic. Some matches are always going to be more exciting than others. That’s life and it was no different at the Goldstone.
Away matches are always going to be better because the Brighton fans are concentrated into one area.
We are no worse than any other team.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
IMG_4082.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports