Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Something HAS to be done about the home atmosphere

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
If the north stand chaps could sing the same song at the same time there would be an improvement.
Then agfain
And that really does exemplify the acoustics issue. I watched on a stream, and when the Chelsea fans started singing that, it was during a period when we had actually been making, and were making, quite a bit of noise. The 'football in a library' chant was only just audible amongst the rest going on.

So, quite clearly, they were not hearing the noise from the home fans in the South Stand.
Yes. I thought that was hilarious, or maybe just pointedly tone deaf crap from that execrable fan base in the south stand. Still they'd sure know what a library sounds like given the lack of atmosphere at Stamford Bridge.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Isn’t it already 90% standing?
To some extent yes informally, but not formalised as the standing, singing sections which would attract like minded souls from other parts of the ground potentially.... the north is currently very fragmented.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I missed five aways this year so can't vouch for all Prem teams, but none particularly stood out, unlike Forest last season which was seriously impressive. We were discussing this on the way back from Newcastle, which was the worst home atmosphere I'd heard there, and came to the conclusion that Luton was the best. Helped, of course, by being 2-0 up in a heartbeat. Worst were West Ham and Liverpool, although they were also the two worst away atmospheres I've been part of for a long time. In summary, all clubs have their good and bad days.
Also, its probably not a coincidence that Luton was good this year, and Forest last year. Newly promoted teams are always going to be more excited.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'm in the North and the atmosphere is OK, that's all, OK. There are different singing factions / areas and that doesn't help but it sounds loud. Recently was invited to hospitality above the South Stand (v Forest) and I could hardly hear the North Stand. It's just how the sound travels I guess.

I think if TB issued five free pints, free pyro and introduced Chas 'n' Dave you're still not going to get much more out of what we have.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
And that really does exemplify the acoustics issue. I watched on a stream, and when the Chelsea fans started singing that, it was during a period when we had actually been making, and were making, quite a bit of noise. The 'football in a library' chant was only just audible amongst the rest going on.

So, quite clearly, they were not hearing the noise from the home fans in the South Stand.
Was in the South Stand for the AEK Athens game and couldn't hear the away fans much at all tbf.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I remember the H block singing completely together, The east stand family section stamping their feet to generate noise. Our fans are f***ing awful now with triple the amount of people in it.
Then your memory is wrong. The family section wasn't in the East stand to start with.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm moving from WSU to North for next season so i'll be very interested to see how the west sounds from the north.

The way I see it, atmosphere matters. It contributes (or detracts from) our brand, and affects on some level recruitment and retention of players. Big players, want to be playing for big clubs and if we're not filling our ground, and being half arsed about it, this will affect the club as a whole and the club have done enough for us in recent years.

I agree with the OP. We (I and you) need to take individual responsibility for this. The atmosphere is bad, there's no getting around it.

No more making shit excuses to yourself
No more expecting the club to do something about it
Put your phone away
Stay to the end
Drink or snort if that's what it takes

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm moving from WSU to North for next season so i'll be very interested to see how the west sounds from the north.

The way I see it, atmosphere matters. It contributes (or detracts from) our brand, and affects on some level recruitment and retention of players. Big players, want to be playing for big clubs and if we're not filling our ground, and being half arsed about it, this will affect the club as a whole and the club have done enough for us in recent years.

I agree with the OP. We (I and you) need to take individual responsibility for this. The atmosphere is bad, there's no getting around it.

No more making shit excuses to yourself
No more expecting the club to do something about it
Put your phone away
Stay to the end
Drink or snort if that's what it takes
🤦‍♂️

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here