Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Something HAS to be done about the home atmosphere

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Until they scored Chelsea only sang on a few occasions to take the piss out of us: “is this a library?” “Your support is f***ing shit!” and ironically: “Shall we sing a song for you?” …which they didn’t. I wasn’t impressed with them at all! Our away support pisses all over theirs, as do many others! Last nights atmosphere was one of our better games.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
No atmosphere because we have about 5 songs, they are all shit, and our fans are so utterly gormless they can't even manage a blast of 'Seagulls' at corners anymore.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Atmospheres are generally shite in the PL and new stadiums.

Not sure can do much to fix it
It could have been the distance, but the St James PArk experience, was pretty shabby at the weekened.

Like all English teams - if the team are playing shite, the atmosphere is too.
Palace are exactly the same.

The idea that we could somehow make a formiddable atmosphere at the Amex, irrespective of how the team are performing is a nonsense.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
No atmosphere because we have about 5 songs, they are all shit, and our fans are so utterly gormless they can't even manage a blast of 'Seagulls' at corners anymore.
Difficult to get excited by corners when they're usually headed away by the first defender.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Forget it. It is what it is.

Even Arsenal players do the arm wavy business.

Atmos would improve only with a doubling or trebling of the North. IMO
It would improve by simply turning the majority of the north stand into a safe standing area... the rest of the ground will be led by their concentrated efforts, as we have very occasionally seen in recent seasons.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Having the away fans as far away from the North as possible in a stadium with terrible acoustics is really stupid and makes the atmosphere considerably worse. The back and forth is one of the main things that drives English atmospheres but it hardly present at the Amex.

The south end of the family stand is basically just tourists and the SWC seems to have more opposition fans than albion. As we saw yesterday with the one way abuse of the autistic lad, nothing is going to come from fans in those areas (bar one bloke who's probably banned now). Move the away fans to the North end of the East upper, let us have some direct singing back and forth, a bit of goading and the atmosphere will be improved significantly.
Wouldn’t be allowed….away fan allocation has to be pitchside (Newcastle still have a dispensation)

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
In my view our North stand is suboptimal. There is a clique of twats in the left corner who think they can lead the singing. What are they doing in the corner in the dark? "Reading" old copies of Penthouse and Razzle I'll wager. And then there are some other blokes singing somewhere over on the right. It is always pathetic (from my vantage point in West Upper). Nothing to speak of in the middle.

Frankly, doubling the size of the North wouldn't help. We have the wrong sort of supporter for a proper consistent ends like The Kop. Doubling the size would simply lead to gaps.

But....it is what it is. I'm not bovvered. And despite everything I think our atmos is decent. First world problems, FFS.

Let's see how things are in 5 years, if we are still in the PL and maybe have a cup under our belt.
I moved from the north this season to WSU.
2 fundamental problems with the north:
1 - There are 2 separate groups either side of the stand trying to get the songs going but different songs at the same time. People in the middle section never know which one to join in with.
2 - There are a fair few people in the north because of the pricing, not interested in creating an atmosphere, just in that stand because it is cheaper

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It would improve by simply turning the majority of the north stand into a safe standing area... the rest of the ground will be led by their concentrated efforts, as we have very occasionally seen in recent seasons.
I agree. But that won't happen.

We could also abolish VAR, and the sound of fury at the offside goals awarded to Palarse and ManUre would take the decibels up another level.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That hideous Liverpool version of Albion is shite.
Agreed. We need to start singing "Albion" to "here we go" like the good old days*.

Apart from that, people get very misty eyed about atmosphere and always have done. I went to many a match at the Goldstone where the atmosphere was very, very ordinary. Of course the atmosphere has gone flat in the second half of this season - we have been shite since the turn of the year, and once Rome came and went there was nothing to paper over the cracks. I'd say there aren't many places where you're guaranteed a good atmosphere anymore. Hate to say it, but Elland Road leads the way there. Their fans always make a racket, fair play to them.

*The 1980s, just before we turned to absolute shuffle.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Albion atmosphere has always been crap since the first day I went in the 70s. It is what it is.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
So yes most PL home ground crowds are poor except a few. However we must be able to improve the state of our crowd at home

For 2 of our best players to have to keep waving their arms around to gee-up the crowd isn't great

The north sang for most of the game. But people towards the south couldnt hear

The away end constantly taking the p*** out of the crowd noise (usual away end "banter)

Surely moving the away end closer to the north would create a better atmosphere?
Safe standing?
A deeper north stand for more seats even though a 2nd tier isnt possible?

Who knows. But surely after all the incredible noise and atmosphere on the away european games our club and definitely the players and manager would prefer a huge noise?

This (arm waving) is a trend I noticed a couple of years ago across a lot of crowds / teams and is very unbecoming. I think it says more about the people that go to football now, as a middle-class fancy, that it does about our fan base in particular.

I do agree the atmosphere at the amex is definitively meh and it's part of the reason I don't bother going any more.

Being able to have a beer in your seat would be a start. I don't think people need 6 pints to have a nice time but not being treated like children would be good, but then it get's spoiled by morons so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here