Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Something For Nothing!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Next to come are the disabled, remember what they said in the 1930's, first they came for the unemployed, then the disabled, who is next ?

IDS latest attack

They are already saying disabled people with a spare room (which they often need to store mobility equipment etc) are liable to the bedroom tax. Either they pay it or they have to move to one-bed accommodation. I think that little bit of evil Tory legislation is being challenged in the Human Rights court.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I cannot understand how the usual posters feel so aggrieved when any political party challenges those in receipt of benefits.

The aim of any party is to make the unemployed employed and to ensure anyone claiming any benefit has that entitlement.

Why some think this vilifying is beyond me, those that are employed/self employed are challenged each day, by our bosses, customers, suppliers, bank manager etc and it may not always guarantee any financial reward at the end of the month, so of course it is reasonable to apply the same scrutiny to those that do not work.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I cannot understand how the usual posters feel so aggrieved when any political party challenges those in receipt of benefits.

The aim of any party is to make the unemployed employed and to ensure anyone claiming any benefit has that entitlement.

Why some think this vilifying is beyond me, those that are employed/self employed are challenged each day, by our bosses, customers, suppliers, bank manager etc and it may not always guarantee any financial reward at the end of the month, so of course it is reasonable to apply the same scrutiny to those that do not work.

It's the point that the large majority of people that sing the praises of these schemes do so in the belief that everyone who has been unemployed for a long time is a work shy scrounger.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Well the system has always seemed to work well in Spain. The unemployed [and there's plenty of them], earn their benefit by registering with the town hall [in small villages] of social security office in towns, each week. If they cannot/do not find work within 6 months they have to 'earn' any further benefits by working for either the town hall or the 'junta' [equivalent would be Brighton & Hove council & or East Sussex CC. Private employment work for an established company is not allowed for the obvious reason. These men & women wear the same council workers overalls & partake in cleaning, graffiti removal, park maintenance, road & path repairs etc. If they are not prepared to do that they have the option on attending an approved 'junta' retraining course. Refuse this and it's goodbye.

Another good thing here is if a person is made redundant & they themselves have a scheme to start self employment it can be put to the authorities for consideration. if agreed all the unemployment money due for the 6 months before compulsory work, may be paid as a start up amount. Secondly self employment stamp is minimized for 2 years, i.e starts at 50 euros a month instead of the normal rate of 250 euros.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
It's the point that the large majority of people that sing the praises of these schemes do so in the belief that everyone who has been unemployed for a long time is a work shy scrounger.

Ain't that the truth

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
A high rate of unemployment is a deliberate policy. It keeps wages low and employment rights restricted, those in low-paid and or menial work scared to pack in a job due to how many people there are chasing job vacancies. Blaming the unemployed is stupid - big business needs a high level of unemployment to maintain profits (via low wages etc). The Tories could easily cut unemployment by creating more jobs, it's historically the best way to bounce out of recession. Creating unpaid jobs instead, as this scheme does, benefits no-one but millionaire bosses.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Ain't that the truth

In many cases(not all), yes it is the truth....One of the main reasons people don't take jobs is they won't get out of bed for a few quid more than they get in benefits and to be honest who can blame them. Why would anyone work their balls off for a few quid more than they get sitting on their arses. People have had it easy for far to long. Everyone wants £500 a week these days or they can't be arsed. When the fact is half of them aint worth a ****.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I find this attitude of " work shy scrounges" as some sort of representation of people who can't get work somewhat distasteful.

I can't remember these scrounges spunking billions of dollars, pounds and euros on financial deals, lending people 130% mortgages and basically crippling the worlds economy! and then now receiving obscene bonuses and salaries for basically doing their jobs? I can't remember nurses, dinner ladies, teaching assistants, dustbin men and women bankrupting the words economy...but of course, it's then who are bearing the brunt of this governments ideology as seemly it's not the fault of its rich friends, it's everyone else who doesn't work in the city.

The treatment of disabled people and the demonising of poor people in this once great country is obscene, but of course it's easy to hit the people who haven't got the money or education or gumption to hire expensive accountants and lawyers to fight their corner.

Yes there are obviously some people who play the benefits system, but to demonise everyone who depends on it is just wrong. I would have thought that the priority should be going after multinationals who pay no tax on profits earned in this country, and getting a fraction of this back would make the " benefit cheats" look like a splash in the ocean

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

I think many are locked into an unemployed lifestyle that bizarrely cannot be replicated within any prospective employment for them, consecutive governments have evolved a benefit system way beyond what most would feel reasonable.

It has sucked in the workshy as well as the vulnerable, so for some if you challenge the workshy you are challenging the vulnerable which isnt the aim.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
As long as politicians and the mainstream media keep demonising the unemployed and other benefit claimants nobody will have to tackle the tax evasion of large businesses and individuals or other issues of the wealthy exploiting the system which cost the country FAR more money.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As long as politicians and the mainstream media keep demonising the unemployed and other benefit claimants nobody will have to tackle the tax evasion of large businesses and individuals or other issues of the wealthy exploiting the system which cost the country FAR more money.

Which was the point I was making...although not in so few words. :)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I find this attitude of " work shy scrounges" as some sort of representation of people who can't get work somewhat distasteful.

I can't remember these scrounges spunking billions of dollars, pounds and euros on financial deals, lending people 130% mortgages and basically crippling the worlds economy! and then now receiving obscene bonuses and salaries for basically doing their jobs? I can't remember nurses, dinner ladies, teaching assistants, dustbin men and women bankrupting the words economy...but of course, it's then who are bearing the brunt of this governments ideology as seemly it's not the fault of its rich friends, it's everyone else who doesn't work in the city.

The treatment of disabled people and the demonising of poor people in this once great country is obscene, but of course it's easy to hit the people who haven't got the money or education or gumption to hire expensive accountants and lawyers to fight their corner.

Yes there are obviously some people who play the benefits system, but to demonise everyone who depends on it is just wrong. I would have thought that the priority should be going after multinationals who pay no tax on profits earned in this country, and getting a fraction of this back would make the " benefit cheats" look like a splash in the ocean

I have no great love for 'those nasty bankers', but the irony as you casually demonise bankers whilst admonishing those that you see as demonising another set of people, is striking.

I just wondered what your annual income threshold is before we can gratuitously demonise another ?

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have no great love for 'those nasty bankers', but the irony as you casually demonise bankers whilst admonishing those that you see as demonising another set of people.

I just wondered what your annual income threshold is before we can gratuitously demonise another ?

I had you down as a labour councillor...was I wrong?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

Maybe they've already been disproven, but weren't the recently-revealed stats that it's £1.2bn benefits fraud, £7.6bn saved thanks to benefits unclaimed and around £16bn lost on avoidance tax. You have to wonder who the enemy is there. Or more rightly ask why they choose those in the bottom bracket as the ones to collectively assualt for the wrongdoings of a relatively small percentage when more money can be made striving to claim money back from those they're longing to keep attached to servilely and cowardously.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Maybe they've already been disproven, but weren't the recently-revealed stats that it's £1.2bn benefits fraud, £7.6bn saved thanks to benefits unclaimed and around £16bn lost on avoidance tax. You have to wonder who the enemy is there. Or more rightly ask why they choose those in the bottom bracket as the ones to collectively assualt for the wrongdoings of a relatively small percentage when more money can be made striving to claim money back from those they're longing to keep attached to servilely and cowardously.

Because it's easy and panders to people's prejudices. " I work my fecking arse off, but these lazy *******s just sit around watching Jeremey Kyle all day long". There was an old song many years ago to the song of he red flag

The working class, can kiss my arse
I've got the foremans job at last.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
As a tax payer who is funding the habits of the benefits brigade I'm happy that the government are doing something to encourage these people to contribute to this countries taxes and help share the burden. It may not be perfect but it's better than doing nothing.

So, you're the only taxpayer on here then? I pay massive amounts of tax too and I don't agree that people on benefits should be humbled in this way. This tag of " benefits brigade" is offensive and tells me all I need to know about your politics. You are a small minded Tory who likes to label those without jobs as scroungers and wasters who need a good kick up the arse if they're going to deserve any of your little pennies.

I hope you never find yourself on benefits mate, seriously I do, but if you had ever been forced to claim you'd have a very different opinion.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In many cases(not all), yes it is the truth....One of the main reasons people don't take jobs is they won't get out of bed for a few quid more than they get in benefits and to be honest who can blame them. Why would anyone work their balls off for a few quid more than they get sitting on their arses. People have had it easy for far to long. Everyone wants £500 a week these days or they can't be arsed. When the fact is half of them aint worth a ****.

So Mr Know All, can you put some meat to the bone and enlighten as to what percentage are genuine and what aren't. Your words imply you think it is the majority that are work shy rather than a minority.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here