Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some people just shouldn't use social media

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I can remember when calculators were banned from exams. In fact, I can remember taking exams when calculators hadn't been invented. This makes me very old!

Calculators were not around in my day either.
We had to use slide rules, log tables and be up on our mental arithmetic, we had to show all 'working out steps'.
We used to get 1/2 a mark for the right answer and another 1/2 for showing the correct 'working out steps'.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
We weren't allowed calculators for exams or homework and had to show all workings to prove it. Although having a calculator would have made no odds to me, those scientific ones in the black flip up cases had that row of buttons on the top that utterly baffled me more than trying to do it on paper. I could never figure out how to switch to "scientific" mode anyway. I think I spent ten mins writing my initials on the case in tipp ex, another ten colouring the tip ex letters in with felt tip and 6 years spelling out 80085 on it before just about scraping through GCSE lower maths.

We weren't allowed calculators for exams or homework and had to show all workings to prove it. Although having a calculator would have made no odds to me, those scientific ones in the black flip up cases had that row of buttons on the top that utterly baffled me more than trying to do it on paper. I could never figure out how to switch to "scientific" mode anyway. I think I spent ten mins writing my initials on the case in tipp ex, another ten colouring the tip ex letters in with felt tip and 6 years spelling out 80085 on it before just about scraping through GCSE lower maths.

I still do this on my calculator at work. It still makes me smile at the 46.

Pathetic really.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
If you are going to make sweeping statements: Have you seen people in their 50s trying to use new technology? It is like an ape gawping at a stick!
Also, the education and common sense instilled into younger generations is the job of the elder generations, so maybe the older generations should look closer to home before shitting on the younger generations.

Yes, this :lolol: I look up at these older generations and it's hard to see where statements such as OzMike's come from. They're all spectacularly stupid.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I have to disagree I'm afraid, I'm in my 50's and can confidently say that the amount of common sense instilled in younger generations is decreasing at an alarming rate.
Everything has become so controlled over the years that they seem to be left lacking in the skills for decision making processes.
It looks like the elite percentage in the world is getting cleverer, but smaller in number and the rest are getting stupider and increasing in numbers.
I can see it, in the not distant future, as being the top 0.01 % telling the rest what to do.
Technology makes things easier but also gets rid of the need to learn the basic principles of learning.

They said that about you when you were young.

The industrial revolution got rid of the need to know how to make things by hand.

The car got rid of the need to know horse riding.

Bow and Arrows meant less people had to work on physical strength and learn hand to hand fighting.

You were not the optimal generation i'm afraid.

And when i'm older, I expect to say the same as what you say today.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

The industrial revolution got rid of the need to know how to make things by hand.

Bow and Arrows meant less people had to work on physical strength and learn hand to hand fighting.

so now all the yoof have to manage is how to explain clearly what it is they want ( beer , bugle,a bunk up , an ice cream, a lift) and react appropriately when they are told they can't have it...!! and please dont bring the oz /english comparison into it because i'm telling you we are neck and neck in the bell-end league..!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

To be honest, I can't remember anyone saying that about us when we were younger.
We were instilled with the work ethic and not the benefits ethic.
We were taught to progress by the means of education.
The better qualified you got, the better your eventual standard of living, which I believe should still be the case today.
We were not given things, we had to work to get them ourselves, which put a higher value on them.
It can be seen that lessons for the future are often learned by seeing what happened in the past.
Most quality skilled tradesmen make as much, if not more than the computer bods now and they are getting harder to find.
What with the drugs problems and the 'easy life' generation, I can see a gaping hole filled with zombie types coming through, being totally non productive and a burden to the rest of what is left of society.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
At 26 I was also instilled with the harder you work the more rewards you get.

Please don't label a whole a generation.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Misinformed drivel......

I am a 60's child, I can tell you that in my teens and twenties in the 70's and 80's, it was education and hard work that git you rewarded...... nobody that I knew took the view that the state was responsible for our wellbeing and life choices.

71077345 is another one you can do if you are in polite company.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Yeah you had to work for everything...apart from you got your education for free!

I'm intrigued to know that you know so much about my past.
Sorry for correcting you, but I did not get my further education for free.
When I studied further, it was whilst working and doing the study by day release and night school.
The people I worked for did pay up front for the courses, but when I left their employ I had to pay it all back, because I had worked for them for less than the six years contracted.
Luckily enough, whilst I was there, I was paying compulsory superannuation and because I didn't complete the six years I had that refunded, which luckily covered my tuition fees.
So, I self funded all my further education like this, or paying for my own night school courses.
What else do you know, pray tell.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yeah you had to work for everything...apart from you got your education for free!

To secondary school leaving age, yes, same as now.

Only about a third went on to sixth form college, and only around 10 per cent went on to follow a university education, which was in the most part free of charge. The rest of us went out and got a job.

Gap year travelling? :lolol:

Perhaps we should stop misleading the young people of today that education will get them a high powered job as for the most part it will not. Vocational training is the way ahead, although many of the young will not work for two bob and a bag of nuts for the start of their career and would rather ask for institutional and parental financial aid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here