Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Some Mothers Do Ave Em

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Ronnie Barker and Norman Wisdom were the BBC's first and second choices for the role of Frank. David Jason was also a contender, but he was rejected because BBC executives at the time believed that he lacked star quality.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Watched an episode the other night on BBC4 I think. I remember feeling a little bit ambivalent about it as a kid, when it was originally screened. Watching it now it seems very dated indeed. Think Michael Crawford is great though, as a performer generally.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Wonderful show. Genuinely laugh out loud funny still. Incredible physical humour and stunts not seen since Buster Keaton, and arguably since. Some of the humour is a little dated, naturally, but plenty still stands up. Themes of masculinity, employment struggles and identity as prevalent as ever.

Never understood why people would be sniffy about Some Mothers, lots of it is actually quite clever.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It wasn't my thing as a kid, I preferred Laurel & Hardy, Monty Pythons and Not The Nine O'Clock News.

My wife absolutely loves it even now.

I was pleased to find out in the 80's that Michael Crawford was an incredibly talented theatre star. There's a clip on Parkinson (poignant today), where he was a spell binding superstar.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It wasn't my thing as a kid, I preferred Laurel & Hardy, Monty Pythons and Not The Nine O'Clock News.

My wife absolutely loves it even now.

I was pleased to find out in the 80's that Michael Crawford was an incredibly talented theatre star. There's a clip on Parkinson (poignant today), where he was a spell binding superstar.
He has done numerous musicals in the West End and Broadway, and his theatre career pre-dated his television work. He was the movie musicals A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum and Hello, Dolly (which features in the movie Wall-E!) long before doing Some Mothers.

He subsequently originated the role of Barnum on stage (and reprising it in the movie) then originated the role of The Phantom in the The Phantom of the Opera in the West End.

Couple of pieces of trivia about him
In Phantom; he had some amazing ideas of stunts which they couldn’t agree to because a) they couldn’t get insurance and b) they suspected nobody would be willing to do them after Crawford left the production. Some mental stuff, like walking down the staircase in “Masquerade” in 10ft high stilts!

Secondly, he and director Hal Prince negotiated a box office percentage rather than a straight wage. An international box office percentage for every time the choreography Crawford created got used nightly. The funny part? Hal Prince had a clause in his contract saying that the producers had to use his show exactly as he left it. Meaning every single show on Broadway, the West End, Germany, Italy, Korea, China or any 166 cities in the world it has played, he got paid a percentage of the box office.

They don’t do deals like that anymore, but Crawford has actually made more money doing nothing than his fees for everything he has ever been in combined.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Wonderful show. Genuinely laugh out loud funny still. Incredible physical humour and stunts not seen since Buster Keaton, and arguably since. Some of the humour is a little dated, naturally, but plenty still stands up. Themes of masculinity, employment struggles and identity as prevalent as ever.

Never understood why people would be sniffy about Some Mothers, lots of it is actually quite clever.
Totally agree; I absolutely loved it as a boy. Yes, like a lot of Seventies shows, Monty Python being a good example, bits of it haven't aged well, and bits of it do now grate, but overall when I have seen repeats I'm in awe of how funny it still is and how good Crawford was. Those stunts!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here