Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some credit to Barnsley is due

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Barnsley players played with enthusiasm, and showed initiative especially attacking. Our players seemed to be playing to a formula, and didn't seem to want to show any initiative.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Their second goal was great, and credit to them in that they saw the opportunity and took it. They played really well for 80 minutes and deserved to win.

However, for the first 10 minutes they looked awful. I sat there and thought 'excellent, we'll beat this lot.' And then we sat back, we didn't press them, we made casual errors and we started to fuel their confidence. You could see Barnsley grow in belief. The defence was delighted they only had one striker to deal with, and even he was only holding the ball up for non-existent runners. Their midfield was delighted that our midfield didn't exist and that Bridcutt appeared to be playing as part of a back 5. And so the seeds were sown.

Fair play to Barnsley. After 10 minutes they clearly thought that we looked laboured, disorganised and there for the taking.

Spot on with that. We used to say GP had no plan B, not sure Oscar even has a plan A on that showing!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Their second goal was great, and credit to them in that they saw the opportunity and took it. They played really well for 80 minutes and deserved to win.

However, for the first 10 minutes they looked awful. I sat there and thought 'excellent, we'll beat this lot.' And then we sat back, we didn't press them, we made casual errors and we started to fuel their confidence. You could see Barnsley grow in belief. The defence was delighted they only had one striker to deal with, and even he was only holding the ball up for non-existent runners. Their midfield was delighted that our midfield didn't exist and that Bridcutt appeared to be playing as part of a back 5. And so the seeds were sown.

Fair play to Barnsley. After 10 minutes they clearly thought that we looked laboured, disorganised and there for the taking.

Their second was also offside. Having said that we didn't deserve a point last night, thought Barnsley wanted it and we didn't.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Hello son. Sorry, i can't help clapping a good goal when i see it, they left our players on their arses. I have never booed te albion (well maybe the 1-5 v stoke) and never left before thefinal whistle has blown. I love Albion but it is only football.

I stood and applauded their first goal also, becasue I could see exactly what was going to happen and it did. We all secretly wished that we could have someone like that who can run at defenders, beat them, shoot on target and score. Their conversion rate last night was fantastic and ours pathetic.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

Could I add arrogance to our approach also, unbeaten in six games against a team bottom of the league with no manager and a handful of supporters to please. Some of the players need to sort their heads out because we were caught flat footed without an answer to anything last night. Only one attempt on target in the first half, I think, not good enough by a long way. Respect all opposition, would have thought we would have learned our lesson after the Newport debacle.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I could see exactly what was going to happen and it did. We all secretly wished that we could have someone like that who can run at defenders, beat them, shoot on target and score.

Yep. My neighbour and I had the time to have the following conversation while it was all unfolding:

Neighbour: He's going to run through us and push it just too wide for Koosh to keep out.
Me: You think? Shirley we'll stop him?
Neighbour: Nope. We don't look up for it tonight. He'll score - mark my words.
Me: Nah, we'll.... oh sh*t.

5 seconds at least.

Regrettably, they simply wanted it more than us. :nono:

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
A few around me clapped their first goal. I don't think I have ever clapped an opposition goal before, but it just seemed right last night. It was a really well taken goal, and showed a lot of skill and desire to score.

I heard Micky Mellon dedicating the win to David Flitcroft on the radio. I sure he would have appreciated the team putting in this performance a couple of weeks ago more.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But we are not talking about the likes of Bournemouth who pressed and harried and gave us no time....we are talking about a Barnsley team who were allowed to play with growing confidence due to our ridiculous defensively biased set up and a nonchalant arrogance of pending victory. I think there is a big difference.

That's probably a fairish assessment of the game, and though I'm speaking in general terms there were some examples last night.

When passes (even those that looked the right choice to everyone at the time) are intercepted, the blame is entirely placed on our players (either a poor pass/wrong choice, or the receiver didn't come for it) and no consideration is given to the fact there is an opposing team who will be trying to stop us completing passes, when their players evade a challenge it's not seen as good movement by them, it's our players not doing their job (granted those examples were rare last night because we didn't seem to want it enough to pressure them very often).

The nonchalant arrogance of pending victory exists in the fans as much, if not moreso, than in the players. Our fans also seem to think if our players do their job properly no pass will be intercepted, every cross met with a goal scoring shot. While no opponent should ever have possession, if by some freak occurrence they end up with the ball, they should be dispossessed before they've moved more than two steps.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I stood and applauded their first goal also, becasue I could see exactly what was going to happen and it did. We all secretly wished that we could have someone like that who can run at defenders, beat them, shoot on target and score. Their conversion rate last night was fantastic and ours pathetic.

Sometimes you appreciate what the opposing team has just done , McCourt looked like he was playing for Barnsleyona. I remember a game up at Belle Vue where we were winning 3 nil and the Donny striker hit a peach of a shot into the back of the net and everyone of us on the terrace behind the goal clapped the effort.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here