Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some common sense at last

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Really? Because it seems to me that the only people saying "it's PC gone mad" are the ones who are perfectly content using slurs and categorising a whole lot of people based on a few of them.

I thought saying insensitive shit to and about people based on ridiculous assumptions was out of order.
:thumbsup:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I remember going to school and getting caned. Is stopping that going too far too ?

What's that got to do with it. Totally separate subject not at all related.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Political correctness is now an industry and some people make a very nice living off the back of it. It has gone too far and we a living in a ridiculously sensitive society. Life is a school of hard knocks and public figures are there to be popped at.
I remember going to school and the teacher writing on a blackboard. We sang nursery rhymes like..." Ba Ba Black Sheep " We collected the gollies off Robertson's jam " My sister had a gollie as a toy. N---er brown was a proper colour. You gave someone a black look. You played the white man etc etc etc
All frowned upon now by those that know better.

I think you've done a relatively good job of showing how people that normally moan about the world being "too PC" just don't like the fact they can't say racist things anymore without being called a racist.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The problem is that in my day we saw golliwogs in a similar vein to teddy bears and such like and never even considered that it could mean anything else until the PC brigade changed the focus of it. I certainly don't think we felt it meant we hated black people and wanted to make fun of them

I don't know what you mean by "in my day", but I am 61 and well remember collecting Golliwog badges and so on, and not as a child associating golliwogs with anything racist.

But then you realise that Enid Blyton wrote in her Noddy books about where the golliwogs live being a dangerous and nasty place, and she meant it, I believe, as racist.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
6d9c5e281f8d605e5db316aef2f42312.jpg

Says it all I think?
Stephen Fry would probably say that there is "offended" and "offended". I remember his episode of "Who do you think you are", where he discovered that members of his family had been removed from Vienna to concentration camps.

And if he doesn't think there is "offended" and "offended", my opinion of him has just plummeted..... or I would like to hear his rationale.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I don't know what you mean by "in my day", but I am 61 and well remember collecting Golliwog badges and so on, and not as a child associating golliwogs with anything racist.

But then you realise that Enid Blyton wrote in her Noddy books about where the golliwogs live being a dangerous and nasty place, and she meant it, I believe, as racist.
I'm 58 so our day was about the same. I wasn't aware of the Blyton reference you make but 1 racist doesn't necessarily reflect the views of the rest of us

RedRob

come the revolution......
Mar 2, 2013
Pyongyang
:facepalm: OMG.....this site goes from bad to unbelievable. Read the stuff YOU are posting people! - do you REALLY expect to be taken seriously? The 'school days' of some of the posters sound like child abuse to me.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I love the racists moaning about losing their rights to cuddle and love their goliwogs. It's a cruel world.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
M
N---er brown was a proper colour. You gave someone a black look. You played the white man etc etc

Urmmm im not a 100% certain that N---er brown was a proper colour, I don't remember seeing it in the deluxe colour chart or it being an option in the Ford Capri back in the good old three day weeks in the 70s....

Oh and you do know playing the White Man emplies that your playing fair and any other race is cheating or not to be trusted right ! You better had not knowen that actually otherwise your comments make you out to be a moron.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
M

Urmmm im not a 100% certain that N---er brown was a proper colour, I don't remember seeing it in the deluxe colour chart or it being an option in the Ford Capri back in the good old three day weeks in the 70s....

It was in the clothing industry/retail. I had a brown coat which was that shade.

RedRob

come the revolution......
Mar 2, 2013
Pyongyang
....Mind you, if some on here waxing lyrical about getting a 'damn good thrashing' want to relive the experience.....the Friday Ad always seems to have a few ladies advertising 'that sort of thing'!

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
M

It certainly was, but more 30s and 40s rather than 70s. How do you think Guy Gibson's dog got his name?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here