Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly to West Ham?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is it acceptable to say that I am not a fan?

There are players like Ali J who gets an absolute slating on here and that’s OK but saying anything derogatory about Solly is deemed unacceptable. How does that work?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

There are players like Ali J who gets an absolute slating on here and that’s OK but saying anything derogatory about Solly is deemed unacceptable. How does that work?

Probably because one cost us a ridiculous amount of millions plus is probably on huge wages too whereas the other cost us nothing.

Ps shouldn't mean AJ deserves the Ashley Barnes treatment though.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I made this point the other day if we had paid £10m for him last summer and he returned one goal one assist missed the sitter against Palace and hit one cross in 20 everyone would be slating him. Because he’s a local lad he gets away with it.

And then we get he will improve next season he’s 26-27 convinced he gets mistaken for 19-20 year old who will come good. We can’t keep carrying players and hope to improve year on year.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We all know Solly is a confidence player, and we all know the players read social media, so threads like this are unlikely to spur him on to his best form with us. Some of the comments on here and elsewhere are pretty shameful from so-called 'supporters' imho

you'd be happy that after 3 years and 80-90 games in PL, he performed much better for another club? not like he hasnt been given chance or played out of position, usual reasons a player doesnt perform. i think he's a good player, i want to see him do well and do better. if he did so elsewhere that would suggest he wasnt giving it eveything here.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004

Weird take. It's not about it being 'ok' or not, you can think and say whatever you want. It's my view that these scapegoat campaigns are both counterproductive and unnecessary, and I can see that they'd be pretty upsetting to a player who becomes aware of them.

For the record its just as depressing seeing any of our players becoming this season's target for the boo-boys. Solly though is one of our own, has been a great servant of the club, played a significant part of our promotion season, and frankly should be able to count on the brighton fans having his back rather than being the target of abuse. In my opinion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Weird take. It's not about it being 'ok' or not, you can think and say whatever you want. It's my view that these scapegoat campaigns are both counterproductive and unnecessary, and I can see that they'd be pretty upsetting to a player who becomes aware of them.

For the record its just as depressing seeing any of our players becoming this season's target for the boo-boys. Solly though is one of our own, has been a great servant of the club, played a significant part of our promotion season, and frankly should be able to count on the brighton fans having his back rather than being the target of abuse. In my opinion.

All true but as long as he doesn’t produce, whilst getting plenty of game time, going forward, he’s going to get flak

No idea why you’d think it weird. I don’t abuse him at games and save my pissed off reaction for NSC and my mates at the football.

He is an incredibly frustrating player as he does have the skills just not the fire in his belly, imo. He is too old for that to change imo.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Not a chance this will happen, west ham don't need another winger and Solly will always have a place in the squad with us

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
MY_gi6uBxBQZ07INZ5tUn6dS1mo=.gif

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
All true but as long as he doesn’t produce, whilst getting plenty of game time, going forward, he’s going to get flak

No idea why you’d think it weird. I don’t abuse him at games and save my pissed off reaction for NSC and my mates at the football.

He is an incredibly frustrating player as he does have the skills just not the fire in his belly, imo. He is too old for that to change imo.

The 'weird take' was in reference to your comment that I would think it's ok to slate AJ etc and not Solly. Obviously I don't think that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As said.. pretty much make it or break it for him this season. A good one and he can hold that LWB role possibly for years. A bad one and he is quite probably getting sold somewhere.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
As said.. pretty much make it or break it for him this season. A good one and he can hold that LWB role possibly for years. A bad one and he is quite probably getting sold somewhere.

And judging by the lack of depth England have in that position, I would say nailing down that LWB position would actually give him a chance of England honours!

I really like Solly and think he can prove himself in that role. I predict a big season for him.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
cant help but feel this would actually be typical recent West Ham ... sell your best up coming player with potential for £18million plus & then sign a so far failed to reach expected potential 26y/o for £15million

would not surprise me WHU are actually trying , whether BHA will sell to a rival is another question all together

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
cant help but feel this would actually be typical recent West Ham ... sell your best up coming player with potential for £18million plus & then sign a so far failed to reach expected potential 26y/o for £15million

would not surprise me WHU are actually trying , whether BHA will sell to a rival is another question all together

In 20 minutes Solly tore them a new one, up there, last season.

Didn't score and more frustrating than that didn't back it up in the following weeks.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Sullivan and Gold will huff and puff to persuade the fans they’re trying to buy someone but they’ll either not actually bid or they’ll play lowball and end up with nothing

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
What is frustrating about Solly is that he has so much ability, what holds him back is mental/psychological. His technical ability isn't a problem, it's only his decision making and tendency to over think which is the issue.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Not a chance this will happen, west ham don't need another winger and Solly will always have a place in the squad with us

West Ham are looking to shift Yarmolenko to China so they’ll need a replacement.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/footb...shandong-luneng-want-to-sign-west-ham-forward

One of those transfers which is good for us and good for him (as long as we have a good LWB coming in).

I like Solly but have wanted him to ‘step up’ and be one of the first names on the team sheet for years. If he wants to take the next step, I just think he needs a new environment. Hopefully the cash we get for him can help pay for a top top LWV option.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
What is frustrating about Solly is that he has so much ability, what holds him back is mental/psychological. His technical ability isn't a problem, it's only his decision making and tendency to over think which is the issue.

This is how I see it. His best play has always been when he's in a tight spot and needs to act on instinct. Give him time to think and he usually fluffs it!

That's what's so frustrating, there's obviously a brilliant player in there trying to get out but his brain won't let it happen.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm all for replacing both Solly and Bernardo with 1 player ( LWB ), and by doing so opening up an opportunity for Peter Gwargis in the squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here