[Albion] Solly March

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Did well.

I understand people want a Lamptey type player on the left as well but there's just not a lot of available world class left backs currently.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Absolutely quality yet again. Really looks comfortable in that LWB position. He's faster than he gets credit for, better on the ball than he gets credit for and gives his all. I know that he divides opinion but today he was excellent. Fair enough White and Lamptey will get the headlines but nobody was bad today. The whole backline especially were solid as a rock.

He was not "absolutely quality" at all, you're deluded if you think that or a March licker.

Not a hater, did fine and hes solid enough, but we don't carry anywhere near the same threat on the left, still often hits first defender with crosses and often goes backwards.

He's not bad, we could do a lot better. If you want "absolute quality" he's on the other flank called Tariq. March isn't even close to that level.

Just imagine someone almost as good as Lamptey on the left.

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
I had a slightly different take... March had to stay wide, give himself tons of time to control the ball and then pass back to Webster". I believe that was Potter's strategy to get the ball to our left side, to shift over the Newcastle players, then pass back, switch the play and get Lamptey going. Worked great and was very effective. But I think it was a very very easy role for any player to perform. March did decent on his defensive duties, but Newcastle did not look too dangerous anyways. Easy game for March.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
So much better than our last 3-0 away win when Watford pulled him apart at LWB. Having Webster able to mop up behind him and still have Dunk as cover allows us to use him well.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
A decent performance today a steady 7 and never really caught out or allowing the opposition to get in easily. However many of our players were great today scoring 8's or 9's

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Boy did well, but "absolute quality" is a bit farfetched.

I like March, but he's never going to be a regular starter for a top half Premier League team.

We're not that yet, so he's more than good enough until we find a suitable upgrade.

This ^

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It is very myopic to think other players are poor because one has a great game.
Also, Newcastle had two men on March and gave Lamptey the freedom of the right. It was very bizarre.

Who said March was poor (if that's even who you mean)?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
What a win and as with all players March played an important part. Just wish he would attempt to drive into box sometimes instead of stopping

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
As Chris Hughton once said: " I really love Solly but I wouldn't lick his lolly."

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Another vote for March here. Thought he played a good solid game.

As others have pointed out, he seemed to be double-marked much of the game, so it was hard for him to create much. But that in turn helped free the space for Lamptey and Trossard on the right, and sometimes it’s that kind of tactical role that doesn’t win the Flair Trophy but helps win the game.

Also, I recall at least 3 huge crossfield balls whacked out to him, and he brought all three down and kept possession beautifully with a perfect touch. Impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Solly played well again. Had a great start to the season as far as I’m concerned.

For those saying “we need to get another Lamptey on the left”...

I mean, that’s all well and good, but how many Lamptey’s are around? Lamptey is looking like a potential world class youngster, I don’t think we can go “let’s just get another Lamptey for the left side. Easy”.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
He was not "absolutely quality" at all, you're deluded if you think that or a March licker.

Not a hater, did fine and hes solid enough, but we don't carry anywhere near the same threat on the left, still often hits first defender with crosses and often goes backwards.

He's not bad, we could do a lot better. If you want "absolute quality" he's on the other flank called Tariq. March isn't even close to that level.

Just imagine someone almost as good as Lamptey on the left.

Why do you dislike him so much? Literally didn't put a foot wrong today.. Lamptey is another level to pretty much everyone but both wing backs bossed it. Tactically Solly was perfect today I know you hate him for some reason but I just don't see how you can't see it. Close control, pass variation, link up with webster and the midfield, crossing was decent today, defensively solid Newcastle forwards couldn't get anything out of him.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It was weird how often they doubled up on March, but I don't think Tariq was complaining on the other side. Team game innit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports