Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March, local lad and Premier League star, is f***ing brilliant

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I’ve not been his biggest fan today he looked confident a different player almost. Lovely cushioned pass for Tross previously he would of over hit that.

Previously it wouldn't even have occurred to him.

RDZ has already crawled into his cranium.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Sublime yesterday. Such a grafter too.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
As was the cross for Welbeck that split the centre halves and should have made it 2-0.

Let's face it, March has been outstanding most of the season. He'll have games where he's not quite on it, but overall he is well worth his place.

Yep. Full credit to Potter for developing him so much - he's definitely a confidence player too which Potter would've really helped with. Hopefully, though, RDZ can help him go a step further!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Worth mentioning that Solly's cushioned pass to Tross for the second goal was delightful

Would that be “League One At Best” Solly? :lolol:

Why is it that certain players are not allowed to be criticised? Seemed to start with Barnes, then Maupay, now Solly. We all have opinions, rarely does everyone agree, but it seems that certain individuals become sacred cows whist others do not? :shrug:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I thought he had a good game from my second to back row seat in the away end but the highlights emphasize the point. That pass to Trossard, crossing,running, man of the match even with the Trossard hat trick.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Why is it that certain players are not allowed to be criticised? Seemed to start with Barnes, then Maupay, now Solly. We all have opinions, rarely does everyone agree, but it seems that certain individuals become sacred cows whist others do not? :shrug:

Isn’t it also about the frequency of criticism from individuals and also scapegoating to some extent, which it certainly felt like at times during Solly’s career IMO?

I do accept its opinions.

Personally, I didn’t rate Maupay particularly and still don’t FWIW.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Look at the thread title, that’s not criticism that’s just nonsense and it’s been people’s opinions to say as much. Solly was ALL end product yesterday, but I note those with the harshest criticism don’t chime in when he has a very good game. Funny that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

What do you mean "not allowed"? Are you saying you would get banned or sent to prison if you criticised a certain player?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It's the exact opposite of that - certain players are criticised to a huge extent, it very often starts mid-game on nsc with bitching from a poster or two who've always disliked the efforts of a player e.g. a missed chance, a defensive slip.

Whilst others just aren't rounded upon.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I just have this feeling that RDZ is going to nugde Solly onto the next level. His decision making and final ball was outstanding on Saturday. Seems mad to say about a player who's now what, 28? But it wouldn't surprise me if we now see the real Solly, consistently. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts scoring and really wouldn't be surprised if he ends the season as our most creative player.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I just have this feeling that RDZ is going to nugde Solly onto the next level. His decision making and final ball was outstanding on Saturday. Seems mad to say about a player who's now what, 28? But it wouldn't surprise me if we now see the real Solly, consistently. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts scoring and really wouldn't be surprised if he ends the season as our most creative player.

He was brilliant against Liverpool.

But, if RDZ can start him scoring, maybe 1/2 dozen+per season instead of 1 or 2, RDZ will have done better than Potter did with the player.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
He will get more chances. Tross scored a hattrick and Sir Danny was quoted as saying he got better chances than he's used to. No criticism of GP, it's just clearly a less pragmatic version of a similar style. Looks like all our midfielders should now fancy half a dozen goals a season. At least. Just gotta not concede too many.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
The cushioned pass for Trossards second was sublime. His cross for what should have been Welbeck’s first was pinpoint. If he can do this consistently than he will a superb late bloomer as he has always threatened in flashes.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That everyone is going to score half a dozen goals now might be bit much of a conclusion to draw from one (1) game, but lets hope it happens.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
To me the really interesting thing was that Solly received the ball in a lot more central positions and a lot closer to Welbeck and Trossard than he used to. With Potter he would stay wide, collect the ball and then cut into central positions (or stay wide) but I felt on Saturday that he was moving more central when the ball was wide on the other flank and therefore picking it up more central (with a lot less work to do to set something up). To me it made it seem easier for him to link up with the other attackers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He will get more chances. Tross scored a hattrick and Sir Danny was quoted as saying he got better chances than he's used to. No criticism of GP, it's just clearly a less pragmatic version of a similar style. Looks like all our midfielders should now fancy half a dozen goals a season. At least. Just gotta not concede too many.

Probably fair to point out, that most of our midfielders were ALREADY on course for totals in excess of 'half a dozen', BEFORE Saturday...

Groß 3 in 6
Mac Allister 3 in 6
Trossard 2 in 6
Caicedo 1 in 6

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Probably fair to point out, that most of our midfielders were ALREADY on course for totals in excess of 'half a dozen', BEFORE Saturday...

Groß 3 in 6
Mac Allister 3 in 6
Trossard 2 in 6
Caicedo 1 in 6

Yeah I think this a bit of a "emperors new clothes" thing, which is pretty unnecessary when the emperor looks great nude.

Plenty pointed out that the defending was worse and allowed them to get more chances than under GP. Don't agree with that, I've seen worse and more risky defending from GPs side many times.

The "look at Webster carrying out the ball from the back! Wow, thats new" also sort of confuses me. Hasn't that been his main thing for years now..?

"Plenty of players in the box"... as usual then.

"Short passing at the back!"... yes, so what did people in the past refer to when they said that GP had the boys "fannying around at the back", "go forward to slow" etc?

"Midfielders scoring goals!"... as they've have for about six months now.

It was a perfectly normal game by Brighton standards imho. The only difference from most games was that Leo played further up the pitch which I think could be a good idea, but it is too early to tell whether this was tactics or strategy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here