Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March is not a defender; discuss.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Do you mean a physical presence by way of support ?
Or the LCB verbally coaching him as such , in a defensive minded way , positionally ?

Weirdly, and I said this on the Maty Ryan thread, I don't actually think our 3 CBs are playing that well. Webster has imperious games, but also games when he's just too jittery and gives the ball away too much (I wonder if having fans back contributed on Monday?), Dunk has been solid but less noticeably good, White is improving and Veltman looks solid. As a 3, they look good but they could be amazing.

The fact that we regularly have 4 CBs on the pitch but can't win a header, stop giving up goals from set pieces or stop conceding weak goals is FAR more of a concern than whether Solly can defend. The bigger question is: Can our actual defenders do it?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Solly March has been playing like a £30-40 million pound player this season. So pleased for him - and us.

Credit to him, and to Potter.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Weirdly, and I said this on the Maty Ryan thread, I don't actually think our 3 CBs are playing that well. Webster has imperious games, but also games when he's just too jittery and gives the ball away too much (I wonder if having fans back contributed on Monday?), Dunk has been solid but less noticeably good, White is improving and Veltman looks solid. As a 3, they look good but they could be amazing.

The fact that we regularly have 4 CBs on the pitch but can't win a header, stop giving up goals from set pieces or stop conceding weak goals is FAR more of a concern than whether Solly can defend. The bigger question is: Can our actual defenders do it?

Southampton had a good plan I thought on Monday with full backs up high, 4 at the back for them, and wingers, they pivoted around so that in turn they overloaded each side of us. Webster did not want to keep getting pulled out to a full back position but too often he was, and too often Southampton already had the space to work the ball. As it happened they didn’t create too many clear cut chances but there were some very dangerous moments they got the ball across the 6 yard bow or worked in dangerous areas. The CBs did look uncomfortable for me, there was too much covering and rushing across to plug holes rather than a steady shape. White plays a little too deep as a midfielder for me, he drops off like a CB would rather than rush to close the space as a midfielder should.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It shouldn't really come as a surprise to anybody that Veltman looks our most assured centre back - He just has to wave his CV in the air.

I don't think GPott has quite come to terms with Dunk's 3 games suspension, in the wake of that:-

He can't drop Veltman.
He can't not pick Dunk.
He's fully committed to Webster.
White is playing at a standard beyond his years.

I don't think GPott is adverse to playing BDB either, although I would be.
The team has no better option than Solly.

I have no idea what the answer is, but I do think the pieces are all there.
The squad isn't missing x - it just hasn't got it's x, y & z in order.

I do think when the dust settles on the season we'll finish it thinking:-

'Do you remember when we were shite at set pieces? - hard to believe it's the same team'.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Solly March has been playing like a £30-40 million pound player this season. So pleased for him - and us.

Credit to him, and to Potter.

:mad:

Am I not looking at the right league table, then? The one I'm looking at shows 2 wins in 11 matches, 15 goals scored and zero home wins despite playing two of the 4 teams below us in the league already. Is there any credit due at all?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
:mad:

Am I not looking at the right league table, then? The one I'm looking at shows 2 wins in 11 matches, 15 goals scored and zero home wins despite playing two of the 4 teams below us in the league already. Is there any credit due at all?

Solly performing well is a positive. Potter's work with him should be applauded.

The wider performance of the team doesn't change the fact that March has been excellent this season...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Apparently Solly is absolutely outstanding on the Training Field.

For whatever reason he rarely recreates it in match days. At PL Level he about gets by. He is a good solid Professional. He rarely has an absolute Shocker of a game but neither does he really stand out at this level. So on the whole a decent solid player both defensively and in attack but no ''World Beater''

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Apparently Solly is absolutely outstanding on the Training Field.

For whatever reason he rarely recreates it in match days. At PL Level he about gets by. He is a good solid Professional. He rarely has an absolute Shocker of a game but neither does he really stand out at this level.

Eh?

Solly’s been one of our standout performers this season. He’s been an utter revelation since moving to wing back. Guess you missed his man of the match performances against Man U and Villa?

Strange post. But then an even stranger thread. Who’s claiming Solly’s a defender?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Good spot, he's a wing back. And a recently converted one at that.

And for the most part he has been bloody brilliant in that position this season. But it is his first season playing in that position so there will be the odd mistake but overall he's contributed more than most players for us this season. He's a very good wing back and will only get better the more he plays in that position.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I agree - think solly is finally starting to forfill his potential. Crossing much better , tracking back good just needs to work on his shooting .

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I agree - think solly is finally starting to forfill his potential. Crossing much better , tracking back good just needs to work on his shooting .
Better go to spec savers if you think the crosses are improving. Don’t you think a PL player shouldn’t be playing everyone onside all he had to do was look across the line Sunday never did and SU scored, basics if you ask me. My first thought was offside then the lines got drawn and Jesus Christ it had to be March ffs.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Better go to spec savers if you think the crosses are improving. Don’t you think a PL player shouldn’t be playing everyone onside all he had to do was look across the line Sunday never did and SU scored, basics if you ask me. My first thought was offside then the lines got drawn and Jesus Christ it had to be March ffs.[/QUOTE

He needs coaching the defensive side of things inc overtime to make it a more natural / instinctive ]
In the mean time a lummox of a CB constantly in his ear guiding him positionally

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
He can keep the ball and take it around the player quite easily but its the final ball that lets him down.

Room for improvement.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yeah you are totally correct. When was the last time a premier league player played ANYONE onside. Oh yeah....EVERY ****ING GAME. :ffsparr:

The point is that from the position March was in, he could see he was closer to the goal line than the two defenders to the right. He should have been level with one of them and had he been it would have been offside. Twice in fact. Not necessarily blaming him as he hasn't plied his trade as a defender so is still learning the job. However, if he was playing as winger wide on the left and always standing in an offside position when he can see across the pitch there would be plenty of people berating him for that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here