Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly does it again

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Silly is inconsistent and frustrating difficult to know if that he is above his level or not confident enough. He has played some of his memorable games coming on when the game looked lost. Could be he had nothing to lose so less pressure it could be stamina and I will let the psychologist manager sort that out. What I do know he was not the worst player on Saturday by a long way nor is he any worse than a lot of PL players who have cost millions.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Christ, here we go again. I thought he was great. As for you, Stat, I never had you down as a Spence type.

Another depressing Monday morning blamefest.

NSC will eat itself.

Oh I'm not, my quote comes from this threads mirror image, written in the post West Ham glow.

'We' always do this.
We cling onto Solly's moments of footballing genius like our lives depend upon them.
Then hammer the fella when he doesn't crack on.

To me Solly comes across as our player most affected by the crowd.
If we didn't have either thread, 'Yay Solly will save us' and this absolute dross, I think we'd be watching a better player now.

He'd be better because because his 'highs' won't be so high and more importantly his perceived 'lows' won't be greeted by clearly audible negativity from 20,000 people. (we might do it quietly, we may well be hurt if we thought he could hear, but 'we' do all do it at the same time!)

He isn't as good as many thought last week
There's no way he's as bad as many think, this week.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I said this on a previous thread a while ago, but we must have almost an entire team of scapegoats. Since we've been in the Prem it's been at various times:

Ryan (too small),
Bong (because he's Bong),
Duffy (not a good passer),
Bruno (too old),
Webster (makes too many mistakes),
Montoya (not sound enough defensively),
Stephens (because he's Stephens),
Propper (doesn't play like he does for the Dutch),
Bissouma (too inconsistent),
March (too inconsistent),
Gross (too inconsistent and slow),
Mooy (sending off at Villa),
Jahanbakhsh (rubbish for 18 months),
Murray (too slow),
Hemed (too slow),
Andone (too mental),
Locadia (too focused on his music),
Maupay (too inconsistent) etc etc etc

It's almost like people would rather moan and moan and moan and moan about players, rather than get behind them... The only one who has been immune is Dunk.

Don't forget Connolly (too young and inexperienced)
Alzate (er ... too good?)
Bernardo (too difficult to find an obvious flaw with him)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've been consistent about Solly March for quite a while now - he's not Premier League standard because he can be good one game, anonymous in the next but even when he's good, he doesn't score or get an assist. He's not good enough at this level and his only real saving grace under Potter is his versatility. We can't afford to pack the team with players who don't score or create opportunities. It's THE reason we're not doing overly well in the league because we rarely take a lead in games.

The constant rotation of players and changing formations probably isn't helping either, none of the players can get into any sort of rhythm because they have no idea when they'll suddenly be nowhere the team again. Only Ryan and Dunk are untouchable.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Don't forget Connolly (too young and inexperienced)
Alzate (er ... too good?)
Bernardo (too difficult to find an obvious flaw with him)

Alzate - On Saturday evening I think someone say something along the lines of “looks the part, but never an end product”.

Bernardo - Very often criticised for “poor delivery” and “poor general play”.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
Silly is inconsistent and frustrating difficult to know if that he is above his level or not confident enough. He has played some of his memorable games coming on when the game looked lost. Could be he had nothing to lose so less pressure it could be stamina and I will let the psychologist manager sort that out. What I do know he was not the worst player on Saturday by a long way nor is he any worse than a lot of PL players who have cost millions.

Solly is a decent player but does not have enough tricks in his locker to beat the defender to get the cross in .for some reason Ali.J seems to have more time and space to put crosses in .Trossard has shown sometimes he can send the defender the wrong way to get the ball in the box .The main issue is have we got the right tools to do the job of staying up and i think we have and that is not including the two new players . If we had the best eleven available and the manager can`t decide ,i have not really looked into it but i am guessing a lot of the other teams do not change team selection as much as us .IMO we could try Burn with Dunk as central pairing playing Bernado LB . Like most posters are saying find a place for Alzate but in midfield .

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Just think Solly has lost his way a bit and seen enough over the years to say there is a good player in there the frustration comes from him not kicking on and fulfilling that potential.

For me he needs the coaches to help him make a firm decision on what position he is going to play and just work at that. IMO it is not helping him being played all over the place without a natural position and he is a player who seems to lose confidence easily.

If he could work on and improve his crossing I think he could force his way into a regular slot for us as he is good on the ball and also tracks back and wins the ball well.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Needs to play every game as a wingback and be trusted to get in a routine or just be a squad winger at this level. Not enough going forward but excellent at many things.

If we do go down to the Champ I'm sure like most of our players they'll be amazing there. PL is just a different class and to make it, smaller teams have to have settled squads I think not constant tinkering.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Pop back to the Ali J thread and re read your comments from that high horse

I'll not need to bother, cheers.

I'm quite certain, that I've never started a thread on Alireza (or any other player) to have a pop, immediately after a game in which they been one of our better players, despite being asked to play in multiple positions.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
He's on 30 grand a week, which is hardly a Corsa.

£30k is a pittance, Stoke have 9 players on £50k or more a week.

Solly is actually more like a kit car that Tony Bloom built in his shed and runs on red diesel. No disrespect to the man, he is actually one of only a few players we have who can change a game in our favour.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Although knowing it's very wrong to say/think, due to no knowledge of those involved.
When GPott joined Solly was the player I instantly thought would be the one to benefit most.

He plays like there's something inside blocking his potential.
GPotts CV reads like that of a person who's strength comes from helping people realise their potential. (God if I wasn't so old I'd love a slice of that)

As said probably wrong, definitely unfair, but once again seems tough to argue with.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Although knowing it's very wrong to say/think, due to no knowledge of those involved.
When GPott joined Solly was the player I instantly thought would be the one to benefit most.

He plays like there's something inside blocking his potential.
GPotts CV reads like that of a person who's strength comes from helping people realise their potential..

Agree with this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'll not need to bother, cheers.

I'm quite certain, that I've never started a thread on Alireza (or any other player) to have a pop, immediately after a game in which they been one of our better players, despite being asked to play in multiple positions.

Fair enough I thought you were having a pop at people who had posted observations about Solly, not at the OP

I am adamant in my view that he is the most frustrating player in the squad. He has it all except the nous/confidence to deliver the final ball or shoot very often. I have absolutely no complaints about his play as a defender, but he is wasted there and needs to up his attacking contributions

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here