Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Solicitors

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
My sympathies. We've just been through a house move, and the biggest delay was because the solicitors weren't talking to each other. We would have exchanged weeks earlier if they simply all got together to chat via video conferencing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Are there any solicitors on here that can give some guidance on how much fees should be charged/reasonable on say a £250k probate? This is not for me but I would be interested in views on whether, hypothetically, £130k in fees could be considered "illegal" and any action that could be taken.

Once you are in legal dispute over their fees, you can get their files 'taxed' independently by a court official. They review their time recorded as being spent on calls, letters, research, meetings, etc. I know people who have done this against lawyers who have tried it on with astonishingly high fees on moderate cases, and won i.e. the solicitors fee was scored downwards by a great margin.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
In my limited experience I have found them massively patronising, entirely unapologetic when they make errors (numerous times now and counting) and completely unremorseful should you make an error/misunderstand anything, as a first time buyer. Also, they NEVER answer their phones and have been trying to shift work (chasing after a mortgage company) on to me that is absolutely their responsibility.

I won't put up the company as I'm not looking to slander them, just to vent a bit.

As a FTB 18 months ago my solicitor was really helpful and efficient through the whole process. Sounds like you've managed to get one who's a lazy knobhead :nono:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What a rubbish opening post.

Stop the press! Bad solicitors are bad.

There are a lot of solicitors whom have worked tirelessly to reach their position and work hard for their clients.

What does Mellotron do? Is his profession perfect?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Are there any solicitors on here that can give some guidance on how much fees should be charged/reasonable on say a £250k probate? This is not for me but I would be interested in views on whether, hypothetically, £130k in fees could be considered "illegal" and any action that could be taken.

That's what Durnford Ford did and look what happened to him/them

and to the thread starter, did you use a proper firm or one of these online cowboys

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There are a lot of solicitors whom have worked tirelessly to reach their position and work hard for their clients.

Harsh.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
They're not all bad. Two of my finest moments involve legal battles with an estate agent and a lying taxi driver. I won both.

Both English cases I'd assume as Germans don't do anything wrong... ever. ;)

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
are c***s.

Sorry. Obviously not all of you. Just all the ones I've dealt with. (In the middle of a house move, if you can't tell).

You sound really stressed MELLOTRON just sit in front of me tomorrow in WU H BLOCK watch the Albion win 4-1 while I give you a lovely BACK/NECK MASSAGE:thumbsup:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
In my experience of dealing with conveyancing solicitors (half a dozen moves), you sometimes have to be a bit forceful; I was buying a house in Devon and my solicitor said she was waiting for a form from the other solicitor. I was in contact with the sellers and they were being told the delay was due to my solicitor.
I told my solicitor to ring the other one and sort it out and it was like asking her to stick her hand in a fire, "we prefer to write", "don't generally phone" etc. So I told her "I am paying you and I am telling you to ring him. Now I'm going to make meself a coffee and then I will sit in the sunshine and wait for you to call me back and tell me what you've agreed with him"
Ten minutes later she called and said they had sorted out who had what and could now proceed.
Admittedly, you only know stuff like this after being buggered about a couple of times unfortunately.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Not at all. Hopefully he has kept his cool with the solicitors and just vented his spleen on NSC to deal with the stress of it.

Conveyancing is a low priority, low margin activity for many solicitors and consequently they are more concerned with NOT making errors, rather than rushing to match your sense of urgency.

Chase them regularly, via whoever is actually doing the work not the nominated solicitor and hand deliver any documents requested, that way there is no blaming the postal service for delays.

Be prepared to follow stuff up yourself. If they tell you they are waiting on someone else e.g, your estate agent, try to speak to them to verify this. Once they get to hear you are doing this in a constructive way they should get into the habit of picking up the phone and chasing stuff for you.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Harsh? If you say so.

I haven't abused the opening poster, have I?

As opposed to him/her labelling his/her solicitors as cu*ts without any context or evidence whatsoever...

He didn't all solicitors in the profession were bad. His frustration was clear but without detail. Others have pointed out that they've had good dealings with the profession.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
In my limited experience I have found them massively patronising, entirely unapologetic when they make errors (numerous times now and counting) and completely unremorseful should you make an error/misunderstand anything, as a first time buyer. Also, they NEVER answer their phones and have been trying to shift work (chasing after a mortgage company) on to me that is absolutely their responsibility.

I won't put up the company as I'm not looking to slander them, just to vent a bit.

If you're serious then simply make a complaint to the firm, if their response is unsatisfactory you can escalate it to the legal ombudsman. We're not all shit and useless. Sadly though if you're not legally trained, and with respect I'm assuming you're not, you won't have a grasp of why things are taking long than anticipated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here