Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I always use GWCA they have offices in Worthing & Arundel

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
When i bought my place, we used Miller Parris (based in Worthing). We had a choice of a few that i knew personally through my work at a previous agency but i went with them and in particular Mike Metters: prompt, thorough and took me, a naive 1st time buyer through each stage and was on hand in person, on the phone and via email to deal with any queries. Highly recommend him!

I'm way out of date, but is the going rate something like 2 - 2.5k these days? Presumably plus VAT?

It's just that I'd like to compare it with what our lawyer charges here, which is 1,500 euros plus IVA (Spanish VAT at 21%)

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
as someone who gives conveyancing quotes daily, £2-£2.5k is definitely well above going rate for anywhere with a BN postcode - fee + disbursements (excluding stamp duty) should be £1-1.5k + VAT max so amazed if anyone quoting £2-£2.5k+ is vaguely generating clients if the clients have made proper enquiries and not just accepted first quote received. The figure I've given should be for a proper solicitors firm, not some factory type operation, and at a minimum where people doing the actual work hold a formal professional qualification. Sounds like the Spanish charge is on a par on this basis.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Solicitors have to disclose to the client if they are paying for the referral.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Hi, I'm a solicitor, not a conveyancer myself but my firm deals with all property transactions. If you're still looking for a local firm
drop me a pm and I'll get you a quote. We're in Haywards Heath. Rohan Solicitors LLP.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
I've heard it can be beneficial to use a solicitor from a cheaper area, location is not relevant, maybe try somewhere in the northeast. I heard this when my most recent move was handled by a local firm who were utter rubbish, gave me incorrect guidance that cost me even more money, and they were already very expensive. That's when I heard the suggestion of using a solicitor from elsewhere as it makes no difference to the procedures and processes required, but that it would save money, and being local is irrelevant.

I've not actually tried this but I most certainly will look into it next time I move

That sounds like great advice you would need to factor in a trip or courier down papers to sign papers but if it saved enough then I will look at this

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'd recommend that you include your location in your profile.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
as someone who gives conveyancing quotes daily, £2-£2.5k is definitely well above going rate for anywhere with a BN postcode - fee + disbursements (excluding stamp duty) should be £1-1.5k + VAT max so amazed if anyone quoting £2-£2.5k+ is vaguely generating clients if the clients have made proper enquiries and not just accepted first quote received. The figure I've given should be for a proper solicitors firm, not some factory type operation, and at a minimum where people doing the actual work hold a formal professional qualification. Sounds like the Spanish charge is on a par on this basis.

Sadly for those that only ever have the need of a solicitor when they move house, the estate agent recommends a solicitor, you blindly follow their recommendation, the solicitor and estate agent have a cozy little arrangement, and the punter is none the wiser, thinks the price is normal.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Indeed. My conveyancer is charging just under 1k for my current house sale.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Thanks for the replies, I'm based is Hassocks, and the estate agents gave me 3 to contact to get quotes, 2 in burgess hill, both quoted around 2k and one in Hurstpierpoint who quoted 2.5k+. I also obtained quotes further a field in the midlands and up north and they were all around 1k cheaper.

Try Philip Laskey, of Stevens, son and Pope, Burgess Hill.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Thanks for the replies, I'm based is Hassocks, and the estate agents gave me 3 to contact to get quotes, 2 in burgess hill, both quoted around 2k and one in Hurstpierpoint who quoted 2.5k+. I also obtained quotes further a field in the midlands and up north and they were all around 1k cheaper.

It does sound like you're receiving the full estate agent/solicitor package there, as per all the advice on here, don't go with one "recommended" by your estate agent.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I never understand why people wait until they have an offer on their house to instruct a solicitor, if everybody instructed them as soon as you put your house on the market it would speed up what is already a slow process

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
I've heard it can be beneficial to use a solicitor from a cheaper area, location is not relevant, maybe try somewhere in the northeast. I heard this when my most recent move was handled by a local firm who were utter rubbish, gave me incorrect guidance that cost me even more money, and they were already very expensive. That's when I heard the suggestion of using a solicitor from elsewhere as it makes no difference to the procedures and processes required, but that it would save money, and being local is irrelevant.

I've not actually tried this but I most certainly will look into it next time I move

The big downside of this: If they screw up and you wish to confront them face to face, they are only at the end of a phone or email. If they don't wish to talk to you, they can conveniently be 'out the office' or 'with a client'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here