Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Solar Together Sussex

zoe

Jul 5, 2003
The Mobile Shop Withdean
I brought solar panels years ago, so when the Solar Together offer came up last year my parents jumped at the offer. Unfortunately, the fitters did such a poor job, they damaged the roof tiles, causing water to leak into their bedroom. Solar Together ended up having to replace their roof, loft floor, bedroom ceiling etc. As they needed to take the panels off the roof to repair it, folks told them to leave them off and have had their money back. The guys doing the repairs said they'd fixed a lot of faults made by the fitters. Hopefully the fitters have learnt how to fit the panels without causing any more damager. ��

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Just a note from the other side.

Put as many panels as you can fit or afford, bearing in mind roof space in the UK is less than here. We have 14 x 390w panels for just the two of us. From what I have been told both from here, and by a very well qualified mate in the UK, wait for a year or two before jumping into battery storage, they are about to get a hell of a lot cheaper.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Just a note from the other side.

Put as many panels as you can fit or afford, bearing in mind roof space in the UK is less than here. We have 14 x 390w panels for just the two of us. From what I have been told both from here, and by a very well qualified mate in the UK, wait for a year or two before jumping into battery storage, they are about to get a hell of a lot cheaper.

The other advice I've had with battery storage, is it's better to err on the side of going too large. If the battery is too large, the only thing you lose out on is having spent a bit more on it when you bought it. If you go too small, you run the risk of long term losses through not being able to store enough and still drawing from the grid when you should have been self-sufficient.

My dad (in Aus) put in solar panels and battery a few years back. Solar worked great, but he was advised to go for a battery that turned out to be too small - a) it filled up well before the sun was gone, and b) once the sun was down and he started drawing from it it was empty before bed time. He's since swapped to a bigger battery (managed to get a special deal by volunteering to be a guinea pig for a new type of battery) and is much, much happier (and better off).

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
The other advice I've had with battery storage, is it's better to err on the side of going too large. If the battery is too large, the only thing you lose out on is having spent a bit more on it when you bought it.

True, batteries when installed at the same time as the solar install, attract VAT at 5%, adding extra batteries later will attract VAT at 20%

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here