Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Socks

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
What is your policy ?

I typically get M&S. Multiple socks of the same colour (navy blue) so then I do not get problems pairing them up (nightmare in our house) and I can even pair more recent with older acquisitions. However, the quality seems to be falling and they got holes in sooner than previous. I do cut my toe-nails (thank-you for asking) so I think it is the socks.

I think I need to upgrade the quality of my sock selection. What do the souls of NSC recommend ?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
not so easy this one is it.

Uniqlo thermals for winter/cotton for summer.
Sports ankle socks - The uncoolest brands I can find. No one can see them, and it helps to deter the rest of the Cheese Rolls clan from "borrowing" them

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
when in sweden a few weeks ago I bought a couple of ski socks....me feet are warm as toast as we speak. I bought a pack of Simpsons Character socks from M&S...they are great quality. I always get M&S stuff , pants and socks....these days it doesn't matter if they are not a pair seemly

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
H&M for the cooler days but have a load of walking socks that do a fine job of keeping my feet warm as the winter closes in.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
George at ASDA.

For the dapper man about town.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I bought a pack of four decent quality pairs of socks from Sports Soccer for £1.69 the other day. Black as well, so they can't get mixed up and I look less like Mr Bean in the gym/playing footy. Life just gets better and better

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
I have developed a law relating to socks (like Sod's Law or Murphy's Law) called Manx Shearwater's Law, and it goes like this:

"If one of the pair of socks you are about to put on has a hole in it that renders the socks unwearable, then this will ALWAYS be in the second sock you put on, NEVER the first."

There are no exceptions to this law.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I have developed a law relating to socks (like Sod's Law or Murphy's Law) called Manx Shearwater's Law, and it goes like this:

"If one of the pair of socks you are about to put on has a hole in it that renders the socks unwearable, then this will ALWAYS be in the second sock you put on, NEVER the first."

Of course, but if all your sock pairs are the same, you just find another single and put it on - preferably removing the one with the hole in it first, but not necessarily if you wanted additional heat/smell retention.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

What do you do with the holed sock ? I sometimes put them back in the drawer on the basis that (a) one day I might darn it and (b) I may be more desperate on another day so will overlook the hole.

larsmartin

Sep 23, 2011
Have you got a lot of hard, dead skin on your toes feet? Have you changed shoes? Are you walking a lot more than you used to?

The answer might be to walk less, pumice the shit out of your feet or change footwear.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
I still have a long way to go with the drafting process of this law.

If you have lots of socks the same, then there is an element of repatriating the non-holed sock into some kind of sock quarantine, where it can be paired up with similar orphaned socks at some point in the future. If its part of a unique pair, then the sock is doomed, usually being sock-euthanased via the kitchen bin, or possibly recycled into a cleaning rag or semen receptacle in the activity of bishop-bashing.

The point is that in replacing the holed pair for a new pair, maximum time is wasted by virtue of the holed sock always being the second one, instead of the first.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Excellent, hairdryers have been covered in another thread, so we can move onto socks.
What is your policy ?

I typically get M&S. Multiple socks of the same colour (navy blue) so then I do not get problems pairing them up (nightmare in our house) and I can even pair more recent with older acquisitions. However, the quality seems to be falling and they got holes in sooner than previous.
I will no longer buy M&S socks (cotton rich), because they are shit - they fall apart much quicker than before. Next are still fine, and recently bought Bench from TK max seem to be ok too. No more M&S, awful product.

What socks will the players be wearing later?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here