Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Soccer Am

Simonf93

Apr 25, 2012
Soccer Am is coming to an end of this season after 30 years….

it’s never been the same since lovejoy and chamberlain in my opinion anyway, but i know it’s still fairly popular, wonder if another channel will take on something similar

rool

Jul 10, 2003
It was a must watch for me on a Saturday morning before either going to the Albion or watching Soccer Saturday on the sofa.
I loved the repetitive jokes which made me laugh the same every time.
Things like 'kiss my old chap', The Venga Boys behind the sofa, 'wash your mouth out with soup' would have me in giggles every single week. (Like HWT I have since found out I am on the spectrum at a late age which may explain that 😁)
It showed the fun side of footballers too which I liked to see.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Save chip.

It was watched by fans and players. It was fanastic when I was at uni in late 90s and early 00s. I guess it was peak “lad culture” with loaded, Fhm etc. it was a success of the times. They did quirky things that we now all see on social media. All about the show boat.

It was absolutely brilliant.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Helen was also a bit of trailblazer for women in football too, she knew/knows more about football than most men.

It was still good with Helen and Max Rushden in the mid 00's but after that it was pure sh!t.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I think it's the best soccer show on a Saturday but I agree it's not as good as when Helen and Lovejoy hosted.
Let's hope they come up with some new idea or Saturday morning TV will be very boring.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Think we've had this discussion on here previously but I'm a fan of the current show as well as the 90s heyday show. Fenners is great. All good smiley fun!

Nostalgia means some folk will have bias for the 90s...the era of L!VE TV's Topless Darts, Weather in Norwegian etc

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
They never evolved the presenting team to remain current to younger generations. Lovejoy and Chamberlain were young and matched the vibe of the time. Bullard and that Manc guy are still a hark back to the heady days of Madchester and the lads of the 90s. Way off what would interest anyone under 35.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Used to love the annual Dance Off.

Hard to pick a favourite, but I'll go with the 2008 edition with Trev at 7.28 on the video.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Think we've had this discussion on here previously but I'm a fan of the current show as well as the 90s heyday show. Fenners is great. All good smiley fun!

Nostalgia means some folk will have bias for the 90s...the era of L!VE TV's Topless Darts, Weather in Norwegian etc
Ha ha wasn't there something with a trampolining dwarf (little person) too?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Really enjoyed being on the show and doing the “cat walk”

it was very anarchical on set with lovejoy kicking footballs about during ad breaks and the lighting engineers trying to put them back in place between gaps.

Most of the team were friendly and chatty, but a lot of the ad libs were scripted and there is a lot of sitting around during VT bits.

On our show there was two twin girls as the ” pretty lady” section who were both West Ham fans ( I think they were part of their equivalent of gully’s girls) and I am sure son of the things lovejoy said to them wouldn’t be allowed today.

it’s certainly run it’s course.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Ha ha wasn't there something with a trampolining dwarf (little person) too?
There may have been 😶

from Wiki
Britain's Bounciest Weather with Rusty Goffe (known, although uncredited, for his appearance as an Oompa Loompa in the 1971 film Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory) who due to his small stature bounced on a trampoline while doing the forecast (bouncing higher the further north he was talking about)

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I think it's the best soccer show on a Saturday but I agree it's not as good as when Helen and Lovejoy hosted.
Let's hope they come up with some new idea or Saturday morning TV will be very boring.
If Saturday morning TV on other channels is anything to go by, I'm half expecting a Football/Cooking show.. perhaps the Chef could be our Former Dutch Marine?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here