Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So

There was a piece on BBC a few months ago about starting a sentence with "so", the language expert guy said it was used as an attempt to patronise or bellitle.

I have a friend who starts almost every sentence with " I'm not being funny, but"

Does my sweede in.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Another thats narks me is when I hear (usually from pundits on football programmes) things like 'well you've got yer David Beckhams and yer Steven Gerrards' etc. There is only one of each FFS.

Another vote also for 'oh my god', particularly when it is being used in relation to something completely unremarkable. As in my office yesterday, bint sitting behind me me 'oh my god look at that sandwich'.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Another thats narks me is when I hear (usually from pundits on football programmes) things like 'well you've got yer David Beckhams and yer Steven Gerrards' etc. There is only one of each FFS.

Another vote also for 'oh my god', particularly when it is being used in relation to something completely unremarkable. As in my office yesterday, bint sitting behind me me 'oh my god look at that sandwich'.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man.

You may well be, but you are not alone!

This way of speaking has been with us for decades. I can remember hearing women in public talking along these lines in the 80s:

"So I says to her ... So she says to me ... So i says to her... So she turns round and says to me ... So I turns round and says to her" (by which time presumably they are either not facing each other or they weren't facing each other when they started the conversation and now are)

So anyway as I was saying, this isn't a new thing.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The one which annoys me most at the moment is when footballers, managers and pundits insert the words 'football club' after every mention of the team's name. Yes, we know you're talking about the football club and not the ****ing bus station, or the pier, or the library or whatever. Just don't keep telling us!
They also use "football club" when just "club" would be far less moronic.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've noticed a general decline in the ability of interviewers to ask questions - not quite sure why, but there's no excuse for it, really.

On Radio 4, you've got people asking "I wonder if...." but no-one cares what you wonder, just ask a direct question, FFS. It's one stage up from the likes of that numpty Brazil on TalkSport (amongst others) who thinks a question is actually a nonsensical ramble by himself, and expects the interviewee to respond!

As for 'So', 'like', 'y'know', etc? Not too fussed about that, it's just the evolution of language.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I always thought it was a Dutch thing. When I worked in Middelburg, the guy I shared an office with would always walk in, sit down and say "Sooooo!" nothing else, just "Sooooo!" In the manner of Ernst Stavro Blofeld addressing James Bond.

It's drilled into their subconscious at an early age. If you listen to Dutch parents talking to their toddler kids (as I am often forced to), they only ever seem to use two words of communication.

Kid draws abstract squiggle in crayons on living room wall: "Goed zooooo!!!!"
Kid pulls heads off flowers: "Goed zoooo!!!!"
Kid grabs cat by the tail and yanks it vigorously: "Goed zoooo!!!!"

You're supposed to encourage character development and freedom of expression.

Apparently.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
In studies of spoken English it has been shown that words such as "so and well" are some of the most high frequency words in the language. A huge amount of sentences begin with these "filler" words. What's the problem?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
So, mike ward in the current Latest mag lifts his whole column from this thread but forgets to cite his source....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've noticed a general decline in the ability of interviewers to ask questions - not quite sure why, but there's no excuse for it, really.

On Radio 4, you've got people asking "I wonder if...." but no-one cares what you wonder, just ask a direct question, FFS. It's one stage up from the likes of that numpty Brazil on TalkSport (amongst others) who thinks a question is actually a nonsensical ramble by himself, and expects the interviewee to respond!

As for 'So', 'like', 'y'know', etc? Not too fussed about that, it's just the evolution of language.

I like a lot of the stuff on Talksport but that annoys me with Brazil. He also constantly talks over people......usually when they are saying something interesting.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Irritating 'So merchant' just interviewed on Radio 4.

Every answer : 'So...'

AAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I like a lot of the stuff on Talksport but that annoys me with Brazil. He also constantly talks over people......usually when they are saying something interesting.

I was listening to him yesterday and all of his 'questions' had "I" or "me" in it. Again, very rare that he does ask a question, but he ALWAYS sticks his opinion in there first. Pointless.

I also heard him the other day saying something along the lines of "These players have to deal with journalists who are trying to get their name known by asking difficult questions." Er, no, Alan, that's called being a journalist. They are doing their job...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The standard DUMBO footballer interview… Every time you hear a footballer talk, just count the “obviouslys” and the answers that begin “yeah no”

So you confident ?
“Yeah no obviously we know it’s going to be a tough game obviously but we’re going in with a lot of confidence now after the win last Saturday obviously, but that’s gone now obviously so we just want to focus on the next one and take it one game at a time.

Any special plans for dealing with Fandango ?
“Yeah no of course we know he’s a threat obviously but we’re just going to play our own game and if we all do our jobs then I think we’ll have enough to get a result but we know it’s going to be tough obviously”

Are you expecting a warm welcome from the fans down there ?
“Yeah no the fans will be turning out obviously and they always make it hard for visiting teams obviously and it’ll be a great atmosphere, but we’re just staying focussed on doing our jobs and obviously at the end of the day it’s just all about coming away with a result”

I swear if I ever hear a footballer say something even vaguely interesting, I'll probably have a seizure.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
What about like?

"Yeah it was like, yeah a good performance like. We could've done better like but you know like as long as we grind through like, then we wont need to like worry.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I have noticed this. I find it odd, more than annoying, rather like when people begin each sentence with “Look…”. Australians, in particular, are fond of starting their sentences with “Look…”.

Politicians in particular use this as a response to most questions. Personally find it annoying and patronising!

I find politicians say 'look' because it is kind of a passive aggressive, assertive way of speaking, that even if its subconscious, kind of says 'fu*k what you think Im right'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here