Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So you aren't going away then?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I wouldn't be surprised if the top 2 was us and Burnley. We've got the 2 best managers in the division IMO.

said this early this morning and nothing has changed my mind

Oh and could we have Barnsie back when we make it :)

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Love the way last night the commentators on Sky kept saying that Burnley and Middlesborough will be really happy tonight.
They still don't regard us as contenders.

That alone should inspire everyone connected to the club.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm fairly ambivalent about Hull and Midds. but have lots of respect for the way that Burnley gave it 100% against Reading back in 2014, despite already being promoted and having nothing to play for, which prompted the silliest pitch invasion ever and a very amusing YouTube video showing the moment that the penny dropped.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Love the way last night the commentators on Sky kept saying that Burnley and Middlesborough will be really happy tonight.

To be fair the 'anchor' guy did include Brighton.........once

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'll add that even through that amazing unbeaten run, I said that it would be an amazing achievement to finish in front of three of Derby, Boro, Hull and Burnley and that remains the case today.

To be even in with a shout with just twelve games to go is a fantastic achievement for us, regardless of how it all unfolds.

Good summing-up, every Brighton fan would have taken fifth behind those four at the start of the season. Derby are the surprise, but they are not out of it yet either.

I know a lot of clubs blame injuries but ours really hurt us, virtually every time someone started playing well they were cut down, totally disrupting the team and pattern of play.

As we got reinforcements/adapted/got players back, back came the results. No coincidence.

We're a far better team than I thought we were last August and you have to be very excited about the last couple of months.

Feb 14, 2010
I'll add that even through that amazing unbeaten run, I said that it would be an amazing achievement to finish in front of three of Derby, Boro, Hull and Burnley and that remains the case today.

To be even in with a shout with just twelve games to go is a fantastic achievement for us, regardless of how it all unfolds.

I'm not buying this and it's not because Brighton get bigger crowds than everyone in the league (except Derby). I get you that Boro, Burnley, Hull and Derby all spent more money than us and so you are right in your logic, but it's just completely the wrong attitude and what has held Brighton back for generations. We have no expectation at Brighton because frankly we have never been any good. The last time in the top flight was a few years of scrapping relegation in the early 80's. For a club with the support it has always had, this is frankly garbage. Then we look up the road and a club that struggled to get anyone to pay to watch them in the Championship strolls into the top flight and they also have an FA Cup run. How about our players actually achieving something? If they don't get promotion then they have failed, simple as that, they wont be getting many "didnt they do well" compliments. Winners win. Simple.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
We did fade - with a crippling injury list we just ran out of steam before we could get reinforcements in - but now we're back, and how!

View attachment 72823

But look what happened to him in the end :eek: Let's hope we can avoid this fate

tumblr_ndthx0PCOY1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm not buying this and it's not because Brighton get bigger crowds than everyone in the league (except Derby). I get you that Boro, Burnley, Hull and Derby all spent more money than us and so you are right in your logic, but it's just completely the wrong attitude and what has held Brighton back for generations. We have no expectation at Brighton because frankly we have never been any good. The last time in the top flight was a few years of scrapping relegation in the early 80's. For a club with the support it has always had, this is frankly garbage. Then we look up the road and a club that struggled to get anyone to pay to watch them in the Championship strolls into the top flight and they also have an FA Cup run. How about our players actually achieving something? If they don't get promotion then they have failed, simple as that, they wont be getting many "didnt they do well" compliments. Winners win. Simple.

'Strolls into the top flight'...never knew play offs were so easy :moo:

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean

I picked up on this too - this happened numerous times and I couldn't believe it that we were so easily dismissed and found it frustrating ! But am also happy to continue flying under the radar.

Had a little flutter on the winners of all 4 divisions a few weeks back and backed Burnley to win the Championship when they were 4th and we were above them ! Would never bet on or against the Albion - this is a superstition thing for me ! (For the record, I went for Leicester (just before they won at Man City), Wigan and Northampton in the other leagues)

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Spot on here. Every game that involves the top three the other two not playing get mentioned as the main contenders, oh and Derby were also championed until their recent poor run. Hope we give them cause for a mention soon.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
They'll probably focus on the Derby v Huddersfield game today, as none of the top three play at 3pm. And Brighton are invisible.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not buying this and it's not because Brighton get bigger crowds than everyone in the league (except Derby). I get you that Boro, Burnley, Hull and Derby all spent more money than us and so you are right in your logic, but it's just completely the wrong attitude and what has held Brighton back for generations. We have no expectation at Brighton because frankly we have never been any good. The last time in the top flight was a few years of scrapping relegation in the early 80's. For a club with the support it has always had, this is frankly garbage.
Change the record Wcp, it's soooo boring! It would be an amazing achievement to finish in the top two, because our squad has cost less than the competitors. Saying that doesn't mean we're a nothing club or that we hope for failure.

Feb 14, 2010
Change the record Wcp, it's soooo boring! It would be an amazing achievement to finish in the top two, because our squad has cost less than the competitors. Saying that doesn't mean we're a nothing club or that we hope for failure.

I'm not asking you to change you "oh well, never mind, didnt they do well" attitude. It prevails down at the Albion because simply we never have had a side to match the supporter base. Brighton never really wanted success in the board room (until recently) or off the pitch. 34000 would be happy to stroll along to watch Rotherham in the third division. It's charming really, but for me, I'm tired of it. I want to win, and failure to get promotion is simply failure. No ifs, no buts and no "oh didnt they do well". If they did succeed and get promoted then I'd also like to see a plan of how they plan to expand the ground and actually take this club to the next stage by properly mining the support. All of that takes ambition. I think Bloom sees it, but not entirely sure many of the fans do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here