Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So who was the best home grown centre half tonight?

Well?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

D

Deleted member 2719

So you think the players themselves were happy to stay and warm the bench? They have a say in matters as well.

It's a two way thing isn't it, no point keeping players against their will. Yes, both players loved Brighton, but they've also got a career to think about. Cook in particular I know for a fact got a very good deal, too good to turn down really. Tommy was desperate for first team football again, having been out for a long time due to injury. Both moves made perfect sense.

Time to move on.

How much has our centre backs cost..... seems wasted when Tommy and Steve were good enough but gus was too impatient to get too premier. Tommy is a true leader oh how he and dunk would have worked.
Your right in time to move on let's hope it's Sami moving on too.

D

Deleted member 2719

Gus loved El-Abd. I'm sure he would have played Dunk more, but it was a difficult time for him. I don't think any of our centre backs could have been described as being flair during his tenure.
Fair point probably not flair, I just feel Poyet cost of living is now starting to bite us, he probably could be described as the new Harry.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Fair point probably not flair, I just feel Poyet cost of living is now starting to bite us, he probably could be described as the new Harry.

Both Elphick and Cook needed first team football and we weren't able to guarantee that. There were better established players in front of them. They made the correct decisions for them. Would they be so good and dependable if they were both playing the odd game hither and thither?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How much has our centre backs cost..... seems wasted when Tommy and Steve were good enough but gus was too impatient to get too premier. Tommy is a true leader oh how he and dunk would have worked.
Your right in time to move on let's hope it's Sami moving on too.

Well Dunk, and let's not forget El Abd, were homegrown too. Greer didn't exactly cost a fortune and has proved a very good buy. You can argue that Upson's wages would have been quite high, but we'll get that back in terms of the experience he would have passed onto Dunk anyway, plus Upson was quality whilst here.

Tommy was really screwed over by the long term injury, nothing else really. I don't think you can blame Gus for the set of circumstances that all came together to mean it made perfect sense, all round, for both players to go elsewhere.

Jim_AFCB

Oct 9, 2010
Both Cook and Elphick (apart from a dodgy start to last season) have been excellent for us since they arrived. Cook not at his best tonight though, to be fair - but then a number of our players were below par today.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Both Elphick and Cook needed first team football and we weren't able to guarantee that. There were better established players in front of them. They made the correct decisions for them. Would they be so good and dependable if they were both playing the odd game hither and thither?

I don't understand why some people don't get this. Cook wanted regular first team football and we couldn't offer it (we did have better options). He was out of contract at the end of that season and would have left then anyway. Yet some people moan about things like that constantly.

As you say, they both made the correct decision and wouldn't have developed as they have if they'd stayed with us and got the odd game. Simple fact is we've had the best/second best defensive record in the Championship in the last two seasons so it's not like we've been struggling at the back until now.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Elphick. Love that man. He has done well for himself.

The sad fact is Elphick made the best tackle of the game on CMS at the end to protect the lead and Dunk made the worst on Wilson to give it away.

I think that could be down to the few extra years' experience though.

I'm not sure either defences had good games - so sorry to bust the bubble on the Brighton youth graduates. The B'muff defence caught very square for the first and by a rank long ball punt for the second.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Really not sure sure what the point of this thread is. Absolutely nothing to be gained from it. A one game comparison between defenders from different sides. Ask this last season or even last week and you'll get totally different answers.

FWIW, I'll have any money with anyone that Dunk will play a higher level of football than Cook or Elphick. But that's not based on a pointless one game comparison, that's based on watching each player over a progression of years.

If the question is based over the last few years who is better: Dunk is better on the ball, a better reader of the game, better physically and more composed.

I will genuinely take a bet off anyone who thinks Cook/Elphick will player a higher level/ for a better team than Dunk. Dunk has every attribute of a top quality centre half, he just needs polishing. With a bit of luck it'll be with us, but I suspect not.

I know each of the lads and begrudgingly (Cook and Elphick that is) have said exactly the same. That's the type of honest guys they are.

And yes Elphick's missus is ridiculously good looking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here