Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So who needs a result more tonight?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The way the bottom and top of the table is shaping up, we only need another 5-6 wins and a couple of draws to survive; Ipswich need every point they can get to compete for a top 2 place.

This is not a pressure game for us; any points we get tonight would be a bonus.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
The way the bottom and top of the table is shaping up, we only need another 5-6 wins and a couple of draws to survive; Ipswich need every point they can get to compete for a top 2 place.

This is not a pressure game for us; any points we get tonight would be a bonus.

Agree with you, although I reckon to be absolutely safe, 9 wins from the last 20 games. Probably be more than enough. A draw would be good. But am going to put my £1 on 2-1 to us!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cast your minds back to a cold afternoon on 2nd January 2012.

We'd just lost 4 in a row. We sat 16th in the table P24 W9 D5 L10 PTS 32.

We faced a Southampton team 2 points clear at the top of the league, seemingly destined to regain their place in the top flight.

Was there a person in the ground who thought we'd turn them over after our 3-0 defeat at their place 2 months before?

JFC and a Sparrow brace along with a Lambert red card. Glorious stuff.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The question is more whether Ipswich will 'bottle' their chance to go top.

In recent years albion have constantly 'bottled' games in hand etc. to overtake rival teams.

1-0 (Best) to the albion.

Everyone's a winner ( except Ipswich, obviously ).

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013

We faced a Southampton team 2 points clear at the top of the league, seemingly destined to regain their place in the top flight.

Was there a person in the ground who thought we'd turn them over after our 3-0 defeat at their place 2 months before?

That was a GOOD day out!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

Most satisfying train journey back to Southampton ever.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I don't think it is the best move going top of the table at this stage of the season, everyone is out to beat you and the pressure is immense, it is much better to stay in touch with the top 2 and then come with a run at the end of the season.

Therefore it is in Ipswich's interest to let us win comfortably to reduce the risk of derailing their entire season by going top "too early"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Play like the away team we might sneak a surprise win or a draw. No way are we going to be set up any other way than defensively imo. It'll probably be dull but we do have a chance, under Hughton , of not looking totally bereft of any clue as to what we are doing, which has been the story of most of this depressing season.

I'm ready for a half season of dullness which will probably secure our position in this league.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Ipswich fact you're probably unaware of: They stand 9th in the list of clubs who have spent the longest time in the top two League divisions. They were promoted from Div 3 (South) in 1956/7 and have never been back to the third tier.

Most if not all of the eight clubs above them have never been in the third tier. (Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham, Liverpool, Everton, Man U., Newcastle. Newcastle have been closest to dropping recently.

Behind Ipswich stand Aston Villa (promoted 1971/2) and then...Crystal Palace (1976/7).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Albion need to take the home point and move on to maximum points from the next away game. Weird how it's ever come to this, but it has.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Ipswich fact you're probably unaware of: They stand 9th in the list of clubs who have spent the longest time in the top two League divisions. They were promoted from Div 3 (South) in 1956/7 and have never been back to the third tier.

Most if not all of the eight clubs above them have never been in the third tier. (Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham, Liverpool, Everton, Man U., Newcastle. Newcastle have been closest to dropping recently.

Behind Ipswich stand Aston Villa (promoted 1971/2) and then...Crystal Palace (1976/7).
They've also won the League Championship, The FA Cup and the UEFA cup though Ipswich is a smaller town than Brighton and Hove.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
They've also won the League Championship, The FA Cup and the UEFA cup though Ipswich is a smaller town than Brighton and Hove.
Now of course someone is going to interpret that as me suggesting WE should have won those trophies! I didn't actually say that did I? Before you start rattling your cage!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here