So what's the catch with the Three mobile network?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I have just gone onto the Three networks 3-2-1 Pay As You Go as I am a reasonably light user.

Can't complain at 3p per minute for calls, 2p per text, and 1p per mb of data. :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just about everyone I talk to says they are leaving their network to go to Three. Do any of you techies know if everyone in the country went to Three eventually, would the network cope?

this is what im concerned about, as they have the smallest network and i'm not sure how they going to cope with increased popularity. the 321 deal someone mentions is an excellent deal for casual users and allows them to become moderate to high users (~1GB for £10).

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Been with them for 3 years now. You get some proper good deals when you upgrade. I'm on a rolling 1 month contract 400 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data only £12 a month. No network problems ever really, although getting data at the amex towards the end of the season was near impossible. They really must feel I take the mick with the data I use, constantly using Spotify, Skype and Youtube on it. The customer service is poor, and it's a call centre in India which deals with your requests. Other than that, I really rate them.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Really ? I accidentally missed one of my contract payments as it comes out of a different account to some other Direct Debits - the customer service centre said it was no problem at all and they would try 1 week later - so they dont cut you off really quickly !!

My mate must be telling porkies then... He told them to shove there business after he missed his payment date and they cut him off immediately.

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Was with 3 for two years.... Ok reception generally but unfortunately there is a big black hole in the Hove area
Church Road especially ....and close to where I live

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've been on 3 for 7 years now, never had any major problems, in woodingdean where I lived the phone signal was excellent but the 3G was a little slow at times, now I live in Burgess Hill and the phone signal is always good, the 3G signal is poor at home but I have sky broadband so use my wireless at home, at work the other side of town it's just as good as anywhere I was in Brighton.

I'm on the One Plan with an iPhone5 and spend a lot of time browsing with unlimited voice, data and texts and have never once been over my monthly fee.

Customer services can be hard work but they're generally always polite and will work hard to help fix any issues, it's just it's all completely based in India so stereotyping will happen.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Been with 3 for 6 years. Can't fault it. Never had a problem with signal and unlimited internet where I take liberties. Used to have vodafone and I found that utter rubbish in everything.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Never had any signal problems anywhere in Brighton/Hove, nor with the internet. Unlimited is unlimited, and usually good enough to stream videos in moderate quality. Can't see why I'd ever leave after the signal and billing issues I've experienced with pretty much every other provider.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Glad I read this. Really looking forward to telling O2 to shove it when I get home. Hopefully, the same slice that gave me attitude when I asked if it was possible to upgrade to an i-phone 5 one month early before I go away with work.
Looks like 3 could be the way ahead.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I switched to 3 at the end of May. Had no issues with the network, seem to get fast 3G in lots of places I didn't with Vodafone. I also had the spin from Vodafone about there being restrictions on the unlimited data, but I've been promised I can use it to my hearts content as so far they have lived up to that promise.

Where I have had a fairly annoying problem, was when I initially signed up. I signed up for the Ultimate 1000 contract, which is 1000 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data for £30 per month. The first bill was fine but the next came in at about £52, so I rang them to query it, turns out they had stuck me on the ultimate 100 tariff and I'd gone over my minutes allowance. Trying to sort this with the Indian call centre was a serious nightmare as they didn't have a scooby what I was on about half the time, and I could barely understand what they were on about. I eventually resolved it but I had to go to the 3 shop in Churchill Square.

In summary, the deals are good and coverage is decent, but if there is any problems then expect stress as the customer service is shocking.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
They just rung me and offered me the Samsung Fame for £10 a month with lots of minutes and texts. Not the best phone in the world but a pretty good deal for the price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports