Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So what positions do we need to strengthen for next season?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Eight players....... practically a whole new team then? Don't think so.

Five players - the others come with caveats. I agree with most of it.

As it stands I think we need:

* two strikers to replace Zamora and Wilson.
* at least one central midfielder, - maybe two if Towell isn't quite ready
* one younger, versatile full back because Rosenior and Bruno are another year older, and weren't spring chickens in the first place.

We'll need more if we end up selling some of our key players.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well I think we need 8 defenders in the squad and so far only 5 are contracted.

I expect Bruno and Greer to be added, so 1 more ( or 3 if B and G leave ).

Midfield I think should be Kayal, Stephens, Towell, JFC/Ince + 2

Strikers we are 2 short, and if Maenpaa leaves we could do with a GK.

I'm struggling to see what is controversial there ???

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Providing we lose no players.....

All we need are 2 strikers to replace Zamora and Wilson

The rest I am delighted with.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Providing we lose no players.....

All we need are 2 strikers to replace Zamora and Wilson

The rest I am delighted with.
Although we've had a fantastic CM pairing this season, most of the time we've really had no cover for Kayal and Stephens, not until Sidwell arrived, anyway. I think we should offer Sidwell a contract. Plus who else? Would be interesting to know how many posting on here are including Towell in their calculations - he hardly ever gets a mention in these kind of threads.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Top priorities:
2 quality strikers - if we had buried a couple of those numerous half chances throughtout the season we would be up

2 quality central midfielders - this seasons campaign has illustrated the need to rotate the midfield without a drop in quality this is where games are won and lost in the Championship all our competitors were able to rotate their midfield we couldnt do it without a drop in quality and anyone expecting Kayal and Stephens to go 2 seasons without injury is bonkers.

1 young and upcoming right back - share the load with Bruno much as it pains me to say he will not last a whole season at the level we want but sharing the load he'll be fine.

Plus any others to replace out goings - the championship is a squad game and we just got caught out this year.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Although we've had a fantastic CM pairing this season, most of the time we've really had no cover for Kayal and Stephens, not until Sidwell arrived, anyway. I think we should offer Sidwell a contract. Plus who else? Would be interesting to know how many posting on here are including Towell in their calculations - he hardly ever gets a mention in these kind of threads.

Yup, Sidwell will hopefully sign, he was one I had calculated as staying.

Murray, Vydra, Clough, Tex, Judge, Eran Zahavi....

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
As we stand today, minimum (sort of assuming Bruno, GG get a year and Calde leaves)

2 strikers
1 central midfield (Sidwell ?)
1 fullback

Pretty much this.

Effectively "cover" in the case of full back and central midfield, but actual options for the strikers.

What about Jack Harper? Is he going to step up?

In fact there's also Tilley and Starkey from the dev squad.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Along with two strikers we need a midfielder of kayals/ Stephens quality. They didn't get rested as much as hughton would have liked because we were dependent on them to help us see out all the narrow wins we got.

I would like Judge, mr bloom. You'll find him in the brentford catalogue.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Along with two strikers we need a midfielder of kayals/ Stephens quality. They didn't get rested as much as hughton would have liked because we were dependent on them to help us see out all the narrow wins we got.

I would like Judge, mr bloom. You'll find him in the brentford catalogue.

We won't sign Judge from Brentford. Not a chance. Matthew Benham will never allow Tony Bloom to pinch one of his most prized assets, unless it was for utterly stupid money, and Bloom would never, pay over the odds to him of all people.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I think Jay Spearing would be a decent shout. He's only 27.

Been told to find a new club by Bolton because they can't afford the 100k payment to Liverpool. So would be affordable.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We won't sign Judge from Brentford. Not a chance. Matthew Benham will never allow Tony Bloom to pinch one of his most prized assets, unless it was for utterly stupid money, and Bloom would never, pay over the odds to him of all people.

Would be a decent signing though...........................

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Would rather we saved £1m+ and signed 2 x £3m strikers. They're out there somewhere, and hopefully on the radar of our scouting network.

Your choices:

1. Lazy ex-Prem has-been who can't be arsed.
2. Overpriced Championship striker who's never played in the Prem but will cost you £10mill
3. League 1 hotshot - £3mill but will probably flop.
4. Eredivisie Dutch hotshot - £1.5 mill but will probably flop.
5. South American ponce who will string you along and use you to get a bigger money move to an Italian club.

On that basis I'd be tempted to land Murray and Vydra now, then lie on a beach for a month - job done!

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I want us to find a Forestiari type player, it's what we need, someone with pace and a good touch to get inbetween defences by running off their shoulders. Hemed as a big target man.

Given Bloom's mentioned top 2 is our target next season, I cannot see us selling Kayal, Stephens and Knockeart, if anything I would imagine they would be spurred on by this narrow loss.

March coming back, I think on wings, we're covered. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing back-up in the midfield area, preferably someone who could challenge either Stephens or Kayal for their spot.

Finally, another left back.

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
I read somewhere that Stevens is refusing a new contract that has been offered and that he wants to go back up North, just things I have heard but his contract is up in 17 so if he is refusing, then we may be forced to cash in. Hope I read wrong, happy to eat humble pie.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway

I know, I know. In the true Nsc spirit of only suggesting former players I can see bridcutt as our only other option then.

On current form the recruitment team have probably lined up some very astute signings that we've never heard of before. After the last 18 months I have nothing but confidence in them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I read somewhere that Stevens is refusing a new contract that has been offered and that he wants to go back up North, just things I have heard but his contract is up in 17 so if he is refusing, then we may be forced to cash in. Hope I read wrong, happy to eat humble pie.
If his contract lasts until '17, we could just play hardball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here