Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So What is our "TOP TOP TARGET"

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
In his post match comments on Saturday, and after the Luton game, Roberto De Zerbi spoke about our Top Top Target.

In 2011/12 the target was to stay in the Championship, and thereafter to achieve promotion to the Premier League.
After Chris Hughton achieved promotion in 2016/17, the initial target was to stay in the Premier League.

But after just one season, 2018/19, Tony Bloom and Paul Barber set out the new target to become a Top Ten Premier League club.
Graham Potter achieved this in 2021/22

And last season, 2022/23, our Roberto achieved sixth place and a Europa League spot.

So what target has Roberto been given this 2023/24 season?

Higher than sixth?

A trophy?

What do you think?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Top four and a cup final.

After that it will be top four and winning a cup.

After that it will be winning the league and/or a cup

And so on.

World domination isn't won in a day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Having lost two of our best players I would say top 6 would be our ‘top top target’ especially with European competition.

My personal target is top 8 again, I’d be more than happy with that given what we are competing with.
The thing about a target is that it is . . . a target.

It isn't the thing we would be happy with, all things considered.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
To take the positives. Ah no, that was the other fella.

The top TOP target would, I guess, be to win the PL. Unlikely, but that's why it's a top TOP target. More realistically, decent run in Europe, continual improvement of players in the squad and scoring an average of four goals a game 🤣

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The thing about a target is that it is . . . a target.

It isn't the thing we would be happy with, all things considered.
Well then my target is winning the league :lolol: A target still needs to be realistic and personally I think all things considered, top 4 is unrealistic with the investment going on at other clubs/players we’ve lost.

Expectations are high after 2x4-1 wins but I’m not 100% convinced with our current squad how we will stand up against a more mobile team.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well then my target is winning the league :lolol: A target still needs to be realistic and personally I think all things considered, top 4 is unrealistic with the investment going on at other clubs/players we’ve lost.

Expectations are high after 2x4-1 wins but I’m not 100% convinced with our current squad how we will stand up against a more mobile team.
:lolol:

I know what you mean. And at the end of the day we need achievable targets (that won't break the bank but which may need the skill of a supreme gambler to navigate).

However, the way it must work is to first identify a target, then think about what's needed to get there. Then think again if necessary.

But I don't think that further down the league than 6th can be considered a target in any sense. That's more like our 'minimum acceptable level of outcome' below which Questions will be Asked (about WTF is going on, and what needs to be done about it).

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Surely Champions League qualification must be the ultimate target, As that would be transformational.

Winning the Europa League or a top 5 finish would do that.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
We are Brighton and we have to be realistic. We are in Europe because both Spurs & Chelsea had off seasons. But all good things come to an end and maybe the 'big six' could be splitting up. Who knows, in 23/24 Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea may struggle. Our target would be Champions League football meaning a top 4 finish, a target we are more than capable of achieving. That and Dublin next May.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
RDZ must realise that this squad is better than the Leicester squad that lifted the title.

At this stage I'd say qualifying for Europe would be another great season but come April next year that may be considered a disappointment depending on how the first 7/8 months of the season unfold

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We are Brighton and we have to be realistic. We are in Europe because both Spurs & Chelsea had off seasons. But all good things come to an end and maybe the 'big six' could be splitting up. Who knows, in 23/24 Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea may struggle. Our target would be Champions League football meaning a top 4 finish, a target we are more than capable of achieving. That and Dublin next May.
Top 5 now qualify for champions League

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here