• other

Votes: 13 7.6%

• Total voters

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Might have been better if they just got on with it rather than announce it and turn it into a big deal though. They could have drip fed info over a long period and avoided the publicity they both profess to hate but have now ramped up :shrug:

But it's in the public interest that the public are informed. If it was merely a case of them stepping down then maybe so but there are financial implications involved which involve public money. The public have a right to know how their money is being spent. How much, if any of that public money will continue to be spent on them? The announcement was necessary to satisfy public accountability.

Last edited:

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
We've quite happily left an institution that we paid a lot into, but got a lot back. Why on earth retain an institution we pay a lot into but get very little in return?

I don't buy all the tourism nonsense. Even with the Royal family gone, the history of it would still see people flock to the country. Buckingham Palace could become a huge tourist attraction, sell off all the lesser known Royal properties or rent them out. Then we'd start to see revenue streams from our royal heritage.

I agree but I would rather retain core Royals than end up with President Boris.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Might have been better if they just got on with it rather than announce it and turn it into a big deal though. They could have drip fed info over a long period and avoided the publicity they both profess to hate but have now ramped up :shrug:

Very much this. But of course if they had done that, nobody would have noticed they'd disappeared.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I don't get the Meghan bashing. Well, that's a lie, I do. A woman, black, not part of the establishment etc. plays to every hidden prejudice we have. Clearly, it must be her!

I didnt realise she was black, i was under the impression she herself self identified as mixed race

you forgot the 'not even pretty'

get to specsavers chap, whatever criticism there are of her she is def pretty, 100% in the Y category

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Good look to him , can't see them struggling though like a lot of the population.

I think Danny Dyer is ready to step in as he has proved he has Royal blood.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
We've quite happily left an institution that we paid a lot into, but got a lot back. Why on earth retain an institution we pay a lot into but get very little in return?

I don't buy all the tourism nonsense. Even with the Royal family gone, the history of it would still see people flock to the country. Buckingham Palace could become a huge tourist attraction, sell off all the lesser known Royal properties or rent them out. Then we'd start to see revenue streams from our royal heritage.
I get your point but you have not factored in our useless government who would either sell the lots for £10 to the first foreign billionaire or give planning permission to knock buck house down and build a high rise of million pound Arab apartments.
At least with the squatters living there the buildings are protected.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I can't help thinking that if this announcement came from Harry's brother and his wife there would be:

a) Full support for the couple and sympathy at what a difficult decision it was;
b) No hatred or vitriol towards Kate for being a horrible wife and DEMANDING that Wills does as he's told;
c) A LOT fewer column inches written (based on little more than hearsay) than there presumably has been in the press this morning;
d) No-one asking 'So what is William's problem?'

Funny old (Royal family) world :shrug:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I voted other it's well known that Harry views and occasionally posts on NSC since he became the Duke of Sussex and the dogs he's been given on here Megan has decided it's time to set up a new kingdom in the new world

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I agree but I would rather retain core Royals than end up with President Boris.

Well yes, but joking aside, the end of our monarchy wouldn't change our Parliamentary democracy. We already have a House of Lords, so wouldn't be too difficult to elect a ceremonial President from that house and retain a PM leaving everything else unchanged. Just replace Queen's speech with President's speech.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Meghan was always a difficult to work with person on Suits before she even met Harry. I loved that show, and pretty much everyone in it but when you start reading about it all the time like I did as a bit of a super fan you always tend to find out some famous people are just dickheads, and she was one of them. Just because she married a prince it doesn't mean she's automatically a wonderful person.

Also Meghan is mixed race, please stop assigning her as a black person you ignorant racists, people like [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] should know better in 2020.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I like how someone who has served in an active war zone in helicopters and is hugely respected and admired by others who have done so is now apparently so terrified of his wife he's doing this.

Or maybe he's never really liked being a royal and thought "sod that, I'm doing this for my kid who might not get to lead a shitty childhood like I did".

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Meghan was always a difficult to work with person on Suits before she even met Harry. I loved that show, and pretty much everyone in it but when you start reading about it all the time like I did as a bit of a super fan you always tend to find out some famous people are just dickheads, and she was one of them. Just because she married a prince it doesn't mean she's automatically a wonderful person.

Also Meghan is mixed race, please stop assigning her as a black person you ignorant racists, people like [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] should know better in 2020.

Apologies. Person of colour then. I'd change it if I could.

I'm hardly an ignorant racist if I'm trying to draw attention to the hidden (and sometimes in the case of certain media outlets not hidden) racism that exists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here