Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So, was it a red?

Was it a red?

• Yes. Red all day long.

Votes: 69 24.5%
  • No. Yellow. Ref got it right the first time.

Votes: 213 75.5%

• Total voters

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
First time I've been able to watch it properly as my stream last night was poor.

Probably wouldn't even been given as a foul anywhere else on the pitch. The only contact was a slight hand on the shoulder as Elanga basically ran through/around Dunk.

His touch was also a bit heavy, and given that he was already off balance after bumping into Dunk - he may well not have got to the ball before Webster anyway.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Agree with all those saying......

Arguably not a foul

If a foul, then a yellow

If VAR calls the ref over then impossible to say it was a clear and obvious error

Had that been up the other end, 0.0% chance that a Utd defender is sent off for that

Fernandes reaction has completely swayed this weak minded fool

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Not for normal teams, but it was a clear and obvious error.

People need to read the rules of football Law 254678 subsection 34564 states "decisions are not allowed to go against Man United at OT".

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If you're going to send someone off and ruin a game, then the decision needs to be based on something definite.

With Webster in the equation, and looking favourite to intercept, that decision was based purely on conjecture. There's no way on earth the pleb at Stockley Park could say for certain Elanga was in on goal - the ball had gone.

It was a sickening intervention that should never have happened. Utterly pathetic from the officials all round, and I guarantee if it was up the other end with Maguire, 100% the yellow would have stood. No two ways about it. We got mugged.

Yep.

It only became a "clear and obvious error" when the ref was surrounded by foaming mouthed Man U players screaming at him.

This incident would not happen at the Amex, it also wouldnt happen at OT for a visiting non top 4 club.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
This.

Simple.

It looked pretty awful originally but the ref had clearly seen Webster steaming in. He the got that ****wit Friend on his earpiece reminding him of where he was and what he needed to do. It was only clear and obvious to Kevin Bloody Friend.

In fairness, I'm fairly sure Kevin Bloody Friend was the 4th official and Jarred Bloody Gillett was on VAR. Naylor has just made the same mistake in his article but it's still a poxy, ludicrous intervention from VAR. I do wonder whether there are grounds for an appeal.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
In fairness, I'm fairly sure Kevin Bloody Friend was the 4th official and Jarred Bloody Gillett was on VAR. Naylor has just made the same mistake in his article but it's still a poxy, ludicrous intervention from VAR. I do wonder whether there are grounds for an appeal.

Would definitely appeal... . For sure the unaccountable "make it up as you go along" refereeing brotherhood will close rank to protect their brethren, but still need to appeal

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If it is a foul (think Dunk barely touched Elanga), it is a red. Elanga would get there before Webster. Not going to blame the refs - it is sloppy x2 from Dunk.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Think it was probably a red. Just. We'd have been screaming for it if it was at the other end (although we all know what decision would have been made if it had been).

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'm not going to go getting all foamy at the mouth over it as I can see why it was given, but I don't agree that the original decision should've been overturned.

Maguire finally acted like a true United captain in making sure it went their way though. No idea why referees stand for that sort of behaviour.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
This is why supporting the albion is so bitterweet currently.

Without doubt the best time to be following us in terms of quality on and off the pitch, both of which fill me with pride.

Unfortunately that is offset by one of the poorest periods of football on the whole, certainly in my lifetime. There are multiple facets to that statement so I won't talk about governing body corruption, historic clubs being struck off or state funded football clubs, but instead focus on VAR.

To some of us, it was blatantly obvious that introducing hindsight to provide black and white decisions in a game with so much grey was a big mistake. Moreover, a means to tilt the balance even further than it was already,.especially the 'evolved' iteration we have now. They soon realised (who could have imagined) that it was impossible to check everything, and get every decision right, and the can of worms they opened regarding how far do you check back, when do you interrupt a flowing game etc etc. So now we have the current VAR whereby we follow the ref's decisions, and only when 'clear and obvious' do they intervene. As if a dubious team of analyst's 'clear and obvious' is any less grey than 50/50 decisions on the pitch. What exactly constitutes clear and obvious? The referee trotting over to the monitor is such a bloody formality too.

We now have the perfect situation for the 'big' clubs to be in, where VAR can suggest something is clear and obvious when in favour of them, but argue the case that it wasn't (or forget completely) for the small fry. And vice versa depending on the incident.

I find myself missing the days of Hansen and Lawro droning on miserably, at least they could speak their minds and didn't care about potential social media backlash. Now pundits don't even speak out about it much anymore because they have to worry about getting stick on twitter and losing followers from all corners of the globe. They have to pick and choose their moments to criticise it ie. in a Norwich vs Brighton game or equivalent where clear bias is absent. The whole industry is tilted towards money more than it ever has been in my lifetime.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Reminds me of Dunk v wolves last season. Gets sent off to prevent a goal that might not have happened. But With 10 men that probably means a defeat whatever you do and so it proved in both games although last night we defended well with 10 and had 2-3 decent chances. Moder and welbeck went close.
Sanchez played a blinder last night. Some incredible blocks and saves. Sure either Webster or Sanchez would have stopped this too.
Potter backed Dunk - fair enough - but it was still an error.
United are a poor side aren’t they. For the taking. And we were controlling the game In that first 45. Which makes all of this even more frustrating.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Wasn't even a foul, really. was it?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Come on folks take those blue and white tinted specs off. It was a foul all day long and from the look on Dunks face he knows it!

Let's stick to the real farce as to why it went to VAR? As Potter himself commented you could actually accept it if the refs initial on the field decision is a red. And of course it's a big club decision!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It matters not of course, but virtually every radio 'expert' guest and presenter I listened to ( 5live, talksport and times radio) say the same... not clear and obvious, yellow sufficient, Brighton were managed out of a result by the officials.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Haven't seen it but was listening to the radio and they seemed to think Webster had it covered and were slightly shocked but not surprised it turned red due to the Utd players surrounding the ref

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Not a red. It was nota goal-scoring opportunity where Elanga would have been heavily favoured to score, Webster was there to cover and we do not if he would have even got a shot off anyway. It was not an egregious foul and the yellow seemed to be a reasonable sanction. Why Stockley Park felt they had to intervene on what was a fairly routine decision seems a mystery. Just a typical Old Trafford decision and another frustrating defeat for the Albion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Haven't seen it but was listening to the radio and they seemed to think Webster had it covered and were slightly shocked but not surprised it turned red due to the Utd players surrounding the ref

I’ll need to watch again but the Man U player could, in theory, have had an immediate shot on goal had he not been fouled, and before Webster was near him. This will have satisfied the “denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity” criteria and led to a red card.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I’ll need to watch again but the Man U player could, in theory, have had an immediate shot on goal had he not been fouled, and before Webster was near him. This will have satisfied the “denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity” criteria and led to a red card.

Lot of ifs and buts there, to claim that was a clear goal scoring opportunity is really a bit of a stretch.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I voted yellow, but it was an idiotic challenge following a match rusty mistake which was a 50/50 red/yellow without VAR.

why take the chance.

unintelligent play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here