Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So the club released the statement about Gus's dismissal before telling him?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
whether he was aware or not I doubt he thought the finale would be on national TV
it was a deliberate act to embarrass him

TRUST I would not trust any of as far as I could throw them

5 weeks and its still a ****ing mess
Depends if they knew he was due to be on the telly at that time. Could just have been unfortunate timing.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Interesting that you - and others on here - take the club's word as absolute gospel. Why? That is what the club wants us to believe - that he was "well aware" - otherwise they look very bad indeed. Why are you willing to believe everything Mr Barber says?

That is why I said 'probably'. I'm sure if you asked Gus, he would tell you something different.

Can you honestly see Tony Bloom successful billionaire businessman allowing such a schoolboy error on terminating one of his employees contracts?

dave_battle

Jun 2, 2013
It seems to me that we are all trying to look for the semantic which suits our point of view, particularly in terms of the meaning of 'pending'. But the very fact that the club felt it necessary to use the word at all, whatever the meaning, more or less proves that the termination had not be finalised. Whether it was all done bar the shouting or whether there were still material matters to resolve, the fact remains that the official termination notice was delivered via the BBC.

There may be a 'greater good' reason why the club chose to do this, but as it stands, it was a PR disaster on their part and you cant really blame Gus for making the most of it.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The club statement said he had been informed. The new statement said that Gus was well aware of his sacking. For him to claim it was the first he heard of it is utterly disingenuous and a shameless attempt to embarrass the club and court favour in the land of public opinion.

The club have hardly said a word during this whole process and yet are being accused off all sorts of things. Why should they hold up the announcement just because Gus was on TV, he'll be a guest throughout the rest of the tournament and would no doubt have been asked to comment on tv anyway. That Gus chose to play dumb when he was well aware of what was going on is a disgrace.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No.

The statement from the club is very clear:- "Gus was well aware, before he appeared on the BBC, that his dismissal was pending".

How you can translate that to "it seems he was probably aware" is laughable.
Been away all day so missed the binfests, but surely the operative word is 'pending'? Without wishing to be too morbid, when my Dad was dying we all knew the end was near and that he faced the final curtain, but it was still a bit of a jolt when it actually happened.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
just listened to blooms interview. He was asked the question about gus not knowing and he specifically states that emails were sent and gus was aware of his impending dismissal before going on air.

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012
Gus Poyet has appointed representatives to act on his behalf. They are paid to act on his behalf.

The club has told Poyet's representatives of the dismissal and in this case, it's clear that either

a) Poyet knew of the dismissal and is playing the media circus for sympathy

or

b) Poyet's representatives have failed to inform him (possibly because as the BBC stated last night that Poyet's phone was (ironically) "on charge")

I would suggest that this probably is the case.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It will be interesting to know when and by what medium they inform Oatway of his future.

4 AM, by the medium of post-modern jazz dance.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
My guess is gus knew before the program and the club planned to officially announce the decision after the players had been told monday. However the club became concerned (or became aware) that Gus might break the news on air on sunday so rushed out a statement. Gus played the moment to his advantage leaving the club having to set the record straight today

That's my take on things anyway

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Gus Poyet has appointed representatives to act on his behalf. They are paid to act on his behalf.

The club has told Poyet's representatives of the dismissal and in this case, it's clear that either

a) Poyet knew of the dismissal and is playing the media circus for sympathy

or

b) Poyet's representatives have failed to inform him (possibly because as the BBC stated last night that Poyet's phone was (ironically) "on charge")

TBF it was a Sunday, us lawyers aren't allowed to check our Blackberry's on the Sabbath

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
No.

The statement from the club is very clear:- "Gus was well aware, before he appeared on the BBC, that his dismissal was pending".

How you can translate that to "it seems he was probably aware" is laughable.

Would that mean, at the meeting, they said "we're going to sack you but just not yet"? I really don't care who knew what when but the way this 'story' is being spun, both TB and Gus will look shabby until the club are allowed to give out facts. I do feel rather sorry for Barber et al

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Would that mean, at the meeting, they said "we're going to sack you but just not yet"? I really don't care who knew what when but the way this 'story' is being spun, both TB and Gus will look shabby until the club are allowed to give out facts. I do feel rather sorry for Barber et al

No, it means something like 'we will dismiss you unless we reach a compromise agreement by 8pm Sunday' , or similar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here