Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So players don't like McGhee ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Seems to have done alright with Oldham's Chris Porter.

From the BBC -

Porter agrees Motherwell contract

Motherwell will sign Oldham Athletic striker Chris Porter early next week, according to his agent.

The 23-year-old is out of contract at Boundary Park and had also attracted interest from Dundee United.

Agent Lee Payne told BBC Sport: "He has agreed terms in principle with Motherwell and will head back there after the weekend to complete the deal.

"Mark McGhee has made a big impression on him. Now Chris has the opportunity to make his mark in the SPL."

Porter scored 22 goals in England last season for League One outfit Oldham, who turned down transfer bids from Championship clubs for the striker.

Motherwell will not have to pay any compensation due to the cross-border transfer regulations, much to the anger of his present club.

But Payne insists that he and Porter, who joined Oldham from Bury in 2005, are not exploiting the system to make a financial killing.

"Oldham turned down a substantial bid from a Championship club in January," he revealed.

"They offered Chris a new deal that was unacceptable and had since January to improve on it.

"They had other offers in and I think they were waiting for higher bids and were not aware that he could move to Scotland on a free transfer.

"I'm sure we'll get criticism thrown at us, but the wages in Scotland are not massive if you are not with Celtic and Rangers and are probably on a par with Division One in England.

"The Motherwell option is a really good one as it gives him a chance to play Celtic, Glasgow Rangers, Hibs and Hearts - something he would not get if he moved to the Championship."

Porter will sign a two-year contract should he successfully complete a medical.

Payne said that Dundee United manager Craig Levein had also impressed Porter but that Fir Park was just a little closer to the Englishman's home.

New Motherwell boss McGhee made a forward his top signing priority following the sale of Scott McDonald to Celtic at the end of last season.

The Fir Park club missed out on Craig Dargo, with the former Inverness striker opting to join St Mirren instead.

D

Deleted member 2719

I know it's early Sunday Morning but I can't see anywhere that it says" i like Mark MCGhee".???

As for big Impressions he made that alright at the Albion.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Are you honestly trying to make a case that Mark McGhee DIDN'T cause massive unrest within the dressing room?

Just accept that's what happened, and move on. Hopefully, MM has learned his lessons from the experience.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Are you honestly trying to make a case that Mark McGhee DIDN'T cause massive unrest within the dressing room?

Seeing as what you say is based on heresay I don't agree at all. I think his passing was correct but like Barry Lloyd he was not as bad as many have painted him.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
His agent isn't going to say" he thinks Magoon is a fat jocko clown but he'll still sign for him " is he?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Seeing as what you say is based on heresay I don't agree at all. I think his passing was correct but like Barry Lloyd he was not as bad as many have painted him.

Stop talking commonsense. Nsc doesn't like that. :jester:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well that's settled then - magoon must have been just right for us, but we just didn't appreciate him. He was superloved by the players, totally misunderstood by fans.

Thats cleared that up, at last.

No, the players obviously hated the racist fat lardy Scottish clown so much that they managed to take us to our highest league position in 14 years just to prove how much they really really hated him :bigwave::lol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Not really "based on hearsay", or certainly not to the extent you are implying. I base it on what seemed perfectly obvious from the mood of the players, from their body language during games, from the amount of players who were excluded from the side due to fall-outs with the manager, AND from a conversation I have had with an agent of one of the players.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Not really "based on hearsay", or certainly not to the extent you are implying. I base it on what seemed perfectly obvious from the mood of the players, from their body language during games, from the amount of players who were excluded from the side due to fall-outs with the manager, AND from a conversation I have had with an agent of one of the players.
I think a lot depends on which players you talked to and when.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Well that's settled then - magoon must have been just right for us, but we just didn't appreciate him. He was superloved by the players, totally misunderstood by fans.

Thats cleared that up, at last.

Sounds about right. Oh how I miss Mark McGhee. Lucky ol' Motherwell.

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
No, the players obviously hated the racist fat lardy Scottish clown so much that they managed to take us to our highest league position in 14 years just to prove how much they really really hated him :bigwave::lol:

That was the frustration of the situation though wasn't it. For the large part of it McGhee was getting excellent results and performances out of the players, but then it all started to really surface in December of the relegation season, and the decline from then on was unbelievably quick and dramatic. Barely a fortnight was going past without another story of unrest within the changing room.

I know a lot of people see everything to one extreme or the other, but don't think just because I was highly critical of McGhee towards the end that means I didn't rate him at all. Up until the last 6-10 months I think he'd done an excellent job. Just, when it did go wrong, it went horrendously wrong.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Like some of our players, McGhee thought that he was a better manager than he actually was. Simple really but I do wish him well in Scotland.

:bigwave::bigwave::bigwave::bigwave::bigwave::bigwave:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Words are cheap.

2: Fabrizio Ravanelli

Rav loved Middlesbrough: 'Middlesbrough gave me so much love - and all I have for these fans is love. They must understand that.' He loved Marseille: 'I don't want to go back to England. I love Marseille: it is my own little paradise.' He loved Middlesbrough again: 'I'd love to go back. I want everyone at Middlesbrough to understand their town is like a dream to me. I have the love of those fans under my skin.' But Derby was The One. 'I love Derby County, I love the city and I love the fans. It's a beautiful place because its people are beautiful. I will put my heart forward for this club - and maybe I will play for free? Money is not important to me...' Now: after a fling with Dundee ('I love the style of football in Scotland... and I love Scotland') Rav's back at Perugia. 'I love Perugia,' he says. 'It's where my heart is.'

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I can't argue with that Gritty and sums it up well but according to a lot of posters he was horrendous for most of the time and they don't give him the credit for the first two years.
The average life span of most managers is 18 months at a club.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think a lot depends on which players you talked to and when.

Not really. If a group of players are very unhappy, and reporting two distinct groups within the dressing room, then that would seem pretty clear to me.

I admire the way you always try to back McGhee Yorkie, but during the last 6 months the place was falling apart, and that seemed pretty obviously without talking to anyone.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I can't argue with that Gritty and sums it up well but according to a lot of posters he was horrendous for most of the time and they don't give him the credit for the first two years.
The average life span of most managers is 18 months at a club.

Fair point. And I guess that a lot of us mere mortals also tend to get stale in any new job after 18 months. I know that I do.

:falmer:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here