Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, over 700 dead......

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I TRY to live my life more and more from a position of love or at the very least from a positive perspective.

This diatribe from Stephen Fry is from the opposite place and I personally don't think he should be particularly proud of it. Especially as it was obviously filmed to be shared with all.

However I do feel compassion for him because he must have gone through some troubles in his life to have got to where he is now.

How do you 'from a positive perspective' explain the existence of earthquakes, cancer et al and reconcile that with an almighty who supposedly loves us?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
How do you 'from a positive perspective' explain the existence of earthquakes, cancer et al and reconcile that with an almighty who supposedly loves us?

Through a process of exploring consciousness through meditation for around 10 years. This I believe has helped me to realise more and more about who we are and why we are here.

This happens in a step by step process. Questions like this I have explored many many times in my own mind and definitely have reconciliation. Unfortunately the explanation I would give needs the understanding from all the years meditating so it's not possible to give it without the foundations. The answers to all questions are within everybody.

I didn't come on the thread to answer questions, I've tried to do that in the past here and now realise that is pointless.

My comment was just that from my perspective Stephen Fry has ranted about a subject he doesn't understand in a very negative manner which for me is not very good. I'm all for the Richard Dawkins of society because their beliefs encourage debate and can get people to question themselves. Why comedians like him and Ricky Gervais feel the need to use their platform as celebrities to go on about things they know nothing about is beyond me.

Science is starting to catch up with consciousness. An example has been touched on in this thread. Quantum Physics now knows everyone and everything is connected while mystics for 100s of years have been saying that.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Through a process of exploring consciousness through meditation for around 10 years. This I believe has helped me to realise more and more about who we are and why we are here.

This happens in a step by step process. Questions like this I have explored many many times in my own mind and definitely have reconciliation. Unfortunately the explanation I would give needs the understanding from all the years meditating so it's not possible to give it without the foundations. The answers to all questions are within everybody.

I didn't come on the thread to answer questions, I've tried to do that in the past here and now realise that is pointless.

My comment was just that from my perspective Stephen Fry has ranted about a subject he doesn't understand in a very negative manner which for me is not very good. I'm all for the Richard Dawkins of society because their beliefs encourage debate and can get people to question themselves. Why comedians like him and Ricky Gervais feel the need to use their platform as celebrities to go on about things they know nothing about is beyond me.

Science is starting to catch up with consciousness. An example has been touched on in this thread. Quantum Physics now knows everyone and everything is connected while mystics for 100s of years have been saying that.

Fry was asked a question, and he answered it. You are being very judgemental in saying that he knows nothing about the subject, similar to Gervais. They both put forward a cohesive and comprehensive explanation of their standpoint, separating organised religion from spirituality.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
"On Eid al-Adha (the 10th day of the month of Dhu al-Hijjah), pilgrims must strike only one of the large jamrah with seven pebbles. After the stoning is completed on the day of Eid, every pilgrim must cut or shave their hair. On each of the following two days, they must hit each of the three walls with seven pebbles, going in order from east to west. Thus at least 49 pebbles are needed for the ritual, more if some throws miss. Some pilgrims stay at Mina for an additional day, in which case they must again stone each wall seven times.

"If one is able to crush al‑nafs al‑'amāra during the stoning of Jamrat al‑ʿAqaba (the Jamrah of Aqaba), then one has taken the next step in attaining closeness to Allah, and since between the servant and Allah there is no more than the distance of one step, if one has been able to take this step and make it past one's own low desires and wishes, then that which follows is the level of closeness to Allah.

Bonkers. Absolutely bonkers.
Bonkers doesn't even come close. Millions flock there every year to throw stones in the above prescribed manner. What a frigging crackpot religion it proves itself to be with alarming regularity.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
My comment was just that from my perspective Stephen Fry has ranted about a subject he doesn't understand in a very negative manner which for me is not very good.

You call it a rant. I see a reasonably knowledgeable man putting forward his opinion on God and religion. One I am happy to relate to. God has no place in my life. I do understand why others feel different to the way I do. What I don't understand is how much control people on their lives in the name of their god/religion.

I find it incredible that a pilgrimage to Mecca can result in the deaths of over 700 people. That doesn't shout to me of a particularly caring religion.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Bonkers doesn't even come close. Millions flock there every year to throw stones in the above prescribed manner. What a frigging crackpot religion it proves itself to be with alarming regularity.

And that in order to come closer to Allah, they stampede over their fellow pilgrims. Lovely.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If they had postponed the pilgrimage this year so that the thousands of Syrian refugees could be housed in the accommodation allotted to the pilgrims then the 700 would still be alive and many Syrians would have some kind of future.

The religion is not the issue - it's the lack of basic humanity being shown by the Saudis.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
But wouldn't a 'god' capable of creating 'the flood' be equally capable of preventing tsunamis? Especially one portrayed as one who 'loves us all'? Both natural disasters-one a reality, the other just one more chapter in the big book of middle ages fairy stories.

Time for a god, any god, to reveal themselves now that almost everybody on the planet has the means to capture a picture and remove any doubts. Would instantly make the world a better place. Not going to happen is it?

Yes, a God capable of creating the flood would be capable of preventing a tsunami, I guess. But life's a b1tch.

Oh dear, back to the good old Fairy Stories bit. but you probably realise that there are plenty of Christians around who would not believe the bible word for word. The vast majority of people I know within the Church, for example, are convinced evolutionists.

As for God revealing himself. Next Thursday afternoon, 1st October at 2.30pm. He/she has to come to the place you would least likely expect, so it will be Selhurst Park..

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Fry was asked a question, and he answered it. You are being very judgemental in saying that he knows nothing about the subject, similar to Gervais. They both put forward a cohesive and comprehensive explanation of their standpoint, separating organised religion from spirituality.

I don't agree ... on all points.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
i think everything (in the limited capacity of the human brain) points to there being some sort of being or creator, how did everything get here ? I don't just mean our universe etc, I mean far away in space , where does space end , does it end, what was here before ? Without some sort of being or creator (I'm not a creationist, I believe Darwin !) the human brain just isn't complex enough to even begin to understand this .

I believe the human brain is quite capable of understanding what it isn't tbh. God, religion or any belief system is a reaction to the fear of death and hope for an afterlife and help when in desperate need. I am content to know that space and time doesn't end or begin and that absolute nothing never existed. Even in a perfect vacuum there is energy and particle matter forms and disappears in a flash. Two universes could possibly collide and the energy this produces probably causes the birth of a new universe with a big band effect.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Once again, Saudi Arabia showing the way in how to deal with a tragedy like this

9tg0eb.jpg

Cant see this being true at all. The King has ordered an investigation into the tragedy. Executing a bunch of potential witnesses doesnt make a lot of sense..even for Riyadh.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
You call it a rant. I see a reasonably knowledgeable man putting forward his opinion on God and religion. One I am happy to relate to. God has no place in my life. I do understand why others feel different to the way I do. What I don't understand is how much control people on their lives in the name of their god/religion.

I find it incredible that a pilgrimage to Mecca can result in the deaths of over 700 people. That doesn't shout to me of a particularly caring religion.

You might feel he's putting forward his opinion but I felt it was an attack. You say that God has no place in your life and that is fine. That can't be said of Stephen Fry.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I understand your sentiment, however i think you might be seeing acts from fundamentalist religions/religious people and attributing them to *all* religions/religious people.

To me, speaking as a christian, the enemy is extreme religions and the dogmatic thought they promote. This in my opinion and experience can only be countered with moderate religion.

Whether god exists or not, many are always going to have a spiritual aspect to their nature.

Do you believe in God 100%? And do you believe that God wants to be worshipped the way we do?

We all know for a fact that the story of God has been written and selectively rewritten by man. People who believe in God today are so far removed from the God they want to believe in.

I have long considered the havoc caused by religion but cannot be sure that it would not simply be replaced by something else. Fanaticism seems to be a deep set need for many people, without God to focus this on I would imagine they would find something else.

I agree with you both on that; tarot cards, mediums, astrology, supernatural abduction (otherwise known as sleep paralysis) crossing our fingers and not treading on the cracks in the pavement, and even believing in Uri Geller.

Last edited:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

what are tonights euromillions numbers ?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I take your point....... But there is the possibility that he might be worried that God will judge him.

The interview I saw was him clearly wriggling his way out of taking responsibility in this life. Just like it is said that it is imposssible to prove that God doesn't exist, it is equally impossible to prove that thee does. Therefore a trial on Earth covers the possibility of God not being there for him on his judgment day.

Using God to side step our own responsibilities is a crime against God.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It's always sad when people die although these 700/800 will be going to a better place apparently.
So it was an actor of God apparently...where do you go from there mmmmmm?

Last edited:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
My religion is:
Treat everyone you meet with respect.
If working for them do your best work.
Charge them a fair price for a fair days work.
And promise not to pray five times a day.
Otherwise Wrong Direction and I will not get any work done :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here