Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, over 700 dead......

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You know the facts....

clearly more than you, who call it a bossom and haven't followed up the origins of the "God particle" naming.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Throwing pebbles at Satan and marching around a box. Welcome to the 10th century.

"On Eid al-Adha (the 10th day of the month of Dhu al-Hijjah), pilgrims must strike only one of the large jamrah with seven pebbles. After the stoning is completed on the day of Eid, every pilgrim must cut or shave their hair. On each of the following two days, they must hit each of the three walls with seven pebbles, going in order from east to west. Thus at least 49 pebbles are needed for the ritual, more if some throws miss. Some pilgrims stay at Mina for an additional day, in which case they must again stone each wall seven times.

"If one is able to crush al‑nafs al‑'amāra during the stoning of Jamrat al‑ʿAqaba (the Jamrah of Aqaba), then one has taken the next step in attaining closeness to Allah, and since between the servant and Allah there is no more than the distance of one step, if one has been able to take this step and make it past one's own low desires and wishes, then that which follows is the level of closeness to Allah.

Bonkers. Absolutely bonkers.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
"According to Beirut Daily al-Diyar it is so possible that the king of Saudi Arabia to order the execution of who caused this deadly accident."

"It is important to say that so far Saudi authorities have refused to accept responsibility for the accident and blamed pilgrims for this event. So the authenticity of the news is uncertain."

An Arab newspaper published in Beruit has made the claim then. Looks like they have their very own Daily Star over there.

I'm not too bothered one way if the story turns out to be untrue but I've quoted two separate Arab language news agencies and you've quoted another where they report the same story. As I say, it may be BS but then again if the story is just breaking then of course the authenticity will be uncertain.

I am though more than happy to bow to your greater knowledge on Arab news agencies when you say the Daily al-Diyar is their equivalent of the Daily Star. I wasn't aware that there was any sort of equivalent newspaper to the Daily Star in the Muslim world but I live and learn.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Once again, Saudi Arabia showing the way in how to deal with a tragedy like this

9tg0eb.jpg

Someone probably told him it was a good day to bury bad news.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You are looking at it through an evolved western civilised perspective, try from a Saudis perspective and it seems utterly reasonable.

Well, the report was published last night and said that the 28 executions would be "tomorrow" (ie today), so I guess we'll all know by teatime...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why has it been nick-named the 'God particle' O great one?

because of a book title discussing it, by a physicist, who wanted to call it the "Goddam Particle" as a title, and refer to the particle as its correct name - Higgs - but was persuaded otherwise by his publisher. and so it stuck in the popular media, and is a source of great embarrassment.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not too bothered one way if the story turns out to be untrue but I've quoted two separate Arab language news agencies where they report the same story. As I say, it may be BS but then again if the story is just breaking then of course the authenticity will be uncertain.

I am though more than happy to bow to your greater knowledge on Arab news agencies when you say the Daily al-Diyar is their equivalent of the Daily Star. I wasn't aware that there was any sort of equivalent newspaper to the Daily Star in the Muslim world but I live and learn.

I didn't say that al-Diyar WAS the equivalent of the Daily Star - but the completely unsourced, unsubstantiated and sensationalist headline-grabbing "story" they have published, with no direct quote from anyone, was strikingly reminiscent of our beloved redtops and had me reaching for a chinny reckon.

If nothing else, it goes to show that the media is largely the same the world over. They do love a tragedy to hang another spinoff headline on, whether there's even a grain of truth in it or not.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
because of a book title discussing it, by a physicist, who wanted to call it the "Goddam Particle" as a title, and refer to the particle as its correct name - Higgs - but was persuaded otherwise by his publisher. and so it stuck in the popular media, and is a source of great embarrassment.

The name was the invention of Leon Lederman, himself a great physicist, who used it as the title of a popular book in 1993.

Are you sure he was persuaded otherwise?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The name was the invention of Leon Lederman, himself a great physicist, who used it as the title of a popular book in 1993.

Are you sure he was persuaded otherwise?

I don't think anyone in their right mind will be taking the name literally. Religious sorts maybe.
Calling it God does not make it so, anymore than sticking feathers up a dogs arse makes it a chicken.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I didn't say that al-Diyar WAS the equivalent of the Daily Star.

I'm sorry but you did. Have a look at where I've quoted your post - I did it before you went back and edited it to make it look more like you're trying to explain now:

"...An Arab newspaper published in Beruit has made the claim then. Looks like they have their very own Daily Star over there..."

Christ, am I really arguing about Arab news agencies? I'm off for a liquid lunch!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The title The God Particle is a publicists dream title. It conjures up iconography that will appeal to millions. Nothing more than that. Now I'm off to conjure up a bottle or two of Sussex.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm sorry but you did. Have a look at where I've quoted your post - I did it before you went back and edited it to make it look more like you're trying to explain now:

"...An Arab newspaper published in Beruit has made the claim then. Looks like they have their very own Daily Star over there..."

Christ, am I really arguing about Arab news agencies? I'm off for a liquid lunch!

I haven't edited anything to look like anything. When I said "Looks like they have their very own Daily Star over there..." I think its pretty clear I'm not speaking as a seasoned subscriber to Al-Diyar. For "Looks like" read "my interpretation, slightly flippant, from afar".

Had I said "Al-Diyar is a right-wing rag that routinely publishes sensationalist fabricated camel-snot, I only really read it for the horoscope and the Dear Dhilshaad letters page", then I would take your point.

Enjoy your pint :thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I haven't edited anything to look like anything. When I said "Looks like they have their very own Daily Star over there..." I think its pretty clear I'm not speaking as a seasoned subscriber to Al-Diyar. For "Looks like" read "my interpretation, slightly flippant, from afar".

Had I said "Al-Diyar is a right-wing rag that routinely publishes sensationalist fabricated camel-snot, I only really read it for the horoscope and the Dear Dhilshaad letters page", then I would take your point.

Enjoy your pint :thumbsup:

So I now find out that the reason why you stopped playing Words With Friends with me was due to you following SHARIA LAW.

#VoteUKIP

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So I now find out that the reason why you stopped playing Words With Friends with me was due to you following SHARIA LAW.

#VoteUKIP

:lolol:
It is FORBIDDEN to use the sacred tiles to commit SMUT and FILTH unto the hallowed board of Wordsmith (even if JIZ does give you a cracking TW score)

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I think Stephen Fry sums up perfectly "God" in all his guises here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suvkwNYSQo

I TRY to live my life more and more from a position of love or at the very least from a positive perspective.

This diatribe from Stephen Fry is from the opposite place and I personally don't think he should be particularly proud of it. Especially as it was obviously filmed to be shared with all.

However I do feel compassion for him because he must have gone through some troubles in his life to have got to where he is now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here