Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, over 700 dead......

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It shows that science and spirituality kinda works together. Have you heard of the God particle?

yes, and it has square root of nothing to do with "God". its the Higgs boson, which if/when discovered proves the standard model of physics. its name is tabloid popularism, from an accidental use in a book decades ago.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I think all of us can agree that any correct thinking person will outright reject the idea of "god" in any form, those that still cling to the dribble covered comfort blanket of religion simply don't have the will or the tools to further the human race. This is evidenced in the fact that science saves and improves lives by the millions and strives to further our understanding of the universe while inviting questions and investigation whereas religion continues to kill people and make people's lives an utter misery in vast swathes all the while trying to force upon people their own version of events that cannot be questioned, deviated from or rejected.
I think that some of the scientists in this article probably have better ''tools to further the human race'' than yourself .

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...r/04/myth-scientists-religion-hating-atheists

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think that some of the scientists in this article probably have better ''tools to further the human race'' than yourself .

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...r/04/myth-scientists-religion-hating-atheists

Well yes. That's kind of the point isn't it. Good article. Although I very much disagree that religious belief in science is as irrelevant as sexuality, gender or creed as this article suggests. If you read one of my posts further back I agree that science and religion can indeed go hand in hand in theory, as they are both looking to answer similar questions. But as I said, I personally don't agree that they can ultimately come to the same conclusion.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Well yes. That's kind of the point isn't it.
No , you mentioned that '' those that still cling to the dribble covered comfort blanket of religion simply don't have the will or the tools to further the human race.'' , there are several scientists in that article that so obviously dont match your kind words.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Newton believed both in God and that the Bible was a revelation from God. He also believed that God was not bound by time as are humans, allowing Him to see the “end from the beginning”. Thus, to use Newton’s own words, he was convinced that “the holy Prophecies” of the Scripture are nothing else than “histories of things to come” (Yahuda MS 1.1, folio 16 recto). At the same time, biblical prophecy is written in highly symbolic language that requires skilled interpretation. Newton rose to this challenge as he attempted to discover the future of the world in the words of the prophets.

nice copy and paste job

shame you didnt add the rest of the article, about Newton adding up a load of numbers in the bible and concluding some sort of apocalypse in 2060.......clearly very bonkers at that stage in his life.

http://isaac-newton.org/statement-on-the-date-2060/

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
No , you mentioned that '' those that still cling to the dribble covered comfort blanket of religion simply don't have the will or the tools to further the human race.'' , there are several scientists in that article that so obviously dont match your kind words.

Please do read my edited response, which expands on my answer. That article raises a few good points but also makes the assumption that people regard all scientists as spectacle wearing athiests, which I certainly do not.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
yes, and it has square root of nothing to do with "God". its the Higgs boson, which if/when discovered would prove the standard model of physics. its name is tabloid popularism, from an accidental use in a book decades ago.

It has nothing to do with spirituality? That's interesting.

The Higgs-Boson is a subatomic building block that gives mass to everything in the Universe. The confirmation of its existence in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland validated the Standard Model of Physics. But what does the discovery of the Higgs-Boson mean to humanity on a spiritual level?

Neither scientists nor theologians care for the Higgs-Boson's "God Particle" nickname, and yet the particle is so fundamental to all that exists here, the moniker makes sense. Literally everything that we can see or experience has this particle at its foundation.

Many spiritual traditions have at their core the concept of Oneness -- that all is One, interconnected. Modern science already tells us we are all entangled at a quantum level due to our common origin from the Big Bang. The confirmation of the Higgs-Boson confirms that at the deepest levels, anything and everything here has a common building block, a common foundation.

In centuries past, "Oneness" was just theory, speculation. It was a compelling concept, yet it could not be proven scientifically. Today, the fact that "we are all connected" has been substantiated from a number of directions. The common origin point of All That Is (The Big Bang), the Higgs Field, the Unified Field, and the Higgs-Boson all point to the fact that everything has a common foundation.

We are all One. Everything any one of us does influences the whole, even if you're just having a thought. If you do something dishonest and think you've "gotten away with it," think again; it all registers in the Field, and it all matters.

Ultimately, it's up to each individual to decide how the finding the Higgs-Boson influences their lives and spirituality. However, with its discovery, it's getting harder and harder to deny that we're truly all in this together.

http://www.mindfueldaily.com/livewell/what-the-god-particle-discovery-could-mean-for-spirituality

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

The Higgs-Boson is a subatomic building block that gives mass to everything in the Universe. The confirmation of its existence in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland validated the Standard Model of Physics. But what does the discovery of the Higgs-Boson mean to humanity on a spiritual level?

Neither scientists nor theologians care for the Higgs-Boson's "God Particle" nickname, and yet the particle is so fundamental to all that exists here, the moniker makes sense. Literally everything that we can see or experience has this particle at its foundation.

Many spiritual traditions have at their core the concept of Oneness -- that all is One, interconnected. Modern science already tells us we are all entangled at a quantum level due to our common origin from the Big Bang. The confirmation of the Higgs-Boson confirms that at the deepest levels, anything and everything here has a common building block, a common foundation.

In centuries past, "Oneness" was just theory, speculation. It was a compelling concept, yet it could not be proven scientifically. Today, the fact that "we are all connected" has been substantiated from a number of directions. The common origin point of All That Is (The Big Bang), the Higgs Field, the Unified Field, and the Higgs-Boson all point to the fact that everything has a common foundation.

We are all One. Everything any one of us does influences the whole, even if you're just having a thought. If you do something dishonest and think you've "gotten away with it," think again; it all registers in the Field, and it all matters.

Ultimately, it's up to each individual to decide how the finding the Higgs-Boson influences their lives and spirituality. However, with its discovery, it's getting harder and harder to deny that we're truly all in this together.

http://www.mindfueldaily.com/livewell/what-the-god-particle-discovery-could-mean-for-spirituality

Sorry, but what does that actually mean?

As for asking what the Higgs Boson will mean for spirituality, well spiritual/religious people will inevitably put their own spin on it according to their individual beliefs. That won't make their opinions fact.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
[spiel from sprituality website]

well they would say something like that. how about looking up what Higgs thinks of the name and Leon Lederman, the author of the book that coined the name, who tells us it was due to a publishing decision.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Once again, Saudi Arabia showing the way in how to deal with a tragedy like this

9tg0eb.jpg

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Sorry, but what does that actually mean?

As for asking what the Higgs Boson will mean for spirituality, well spiritual/religious people will inevitably put their own spin on it according to their individual beliefs. That won't make their opinions fact.

Who said fact?

What we do know is this bonkers idea of a God who can be everywhere taking in all your thoughts and actions, may actually be what scientists have discovered as the Higgs Bossom field.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Who said fact?

What we do know is this bonkers idea of a God who can be everywhere taking in all your thoughts and actions, may actually be what scientists have discovered as the Higgs Bossom field.

I'm still none the wiser as to what your ramblings about "it all registers in the field" mean. I believe you have reverted to talking utter cobblers. For that reason, I'm out.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Who said fact?

no, what we know is that the Higgs Boson proves the standard model of physics. all that happy clappy nonsense in your link is due to people not understanding science desperately cherry picking mis-interpretations to suit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

"According to Beirut Daily al-Diyar it is so possible that the king of Saudi Arabia to order the execution of who caused this deadly accident."

"It is important to say that so far Saudi authorities have refused to accept responsibility for the accident and blamed pilgrims for this event. So the authenticity of the news is uncertain."

An Arab newspaper published in Beruit has made the claim then. Looks like they have their very own version of the Daily Star over there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here