Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, over 700 dead......

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
This explanation is not good enough then...

According to the standard Big Bang model, the universe was born during a period of inflation that began about 13.7 billion years ago. Like a rapidly expanding balloon, it swelled from a size smaller than an electron to nearly its current size within a tiny fraction of a second.
Initially, the universe was permeated only by energy. Some of this energy congealed into particles, which assembled into light atoms like hydrogen and helium. These atoms clumped first into galaxies, then stars, inside whose fiery furnaces all the other elements were forged.
This is the generally agreed-upon picture of our universe's origins as depicted by scientists. It is a powerful model that explains many of the things scientists see when they look up in the sky, such as the remarkable smoothness of space-time on large scales and the even distribution of galaxies on opposite sides of the universe.

If someone or something created life etc then, who created him it's a never ending story the above makes far more sense, than something or someone scratching their beard in the morning and thinking "you know what I think I will create the universe today"........ Poppycock....

PS: Not having a go at you directly my friend.
No that explanation is NOT good enough mate, what im trying to get across is WHAT WAS THERE BEFORE THE BIG BANG ??? There cant have just been nothingness ,what created that tiny electron ?? What created all the billions of other universes ?? can you not understand what im trying to say ?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
what would the remit be of the god you describe? he only allows "good" things to happen; like a highly stratified money producing organisation, infanticide, etc, etc

The God I describe doesn't only allow good things to happen. That's the point. He/she allows us to get on with it and, if we screw up, it's of our own making.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
None of that helps. If there is a creator, then who made him/her/it? It's absolutely no use believing that "there MUST be a creator 'cos otherwise how did we get here" unless you have an answer to who created the creator.
i dont have the answer , but there must've been something, just that we dont have the capacity to understand it.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Not sure this anything to do with religion, more incompitent crowd control.

I mean, if a crowd of people going to church got involved in a bus crash, would that be the fault of religion/God?

I have been fairly anti religion upto recently, but I have found myself being drawn to the idea of a "Higher Authority" at play in life. Maybe is more Spiritual, but I like the idea of the Universe looking out for us.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Perhaps the new Alien film will give us the answers?! :thumbsup:

Wait, there's a new Alien film in production? As in "Alien 5: yadda yadda", not as in "Alien vs some meaningless drivel creature"? Directed by whom?

I know, I know - Google is my friend.

EDIT: Google was indeed my friend - Alien 5, directed by BlomKamp; however, likely to be released after Scott's Prometheus 2....

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Wait, there's a new Alien film in production? As in "Alien 5: yadda yadda", not as in "Alien vs some meaningless drivel creature"? Directed by whom?

I know, I know - Google is my friend.

EDIT: Google was indeed my friend - Alien 5, directed by BlomKamp; however, likely to be released after Scott's Prometheus 2....

Oh, I meant Prometheus 2, which is called Alien: Paradise Lost. Apologies.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
No that explanation is NOT good enough mate, what im trying to get across is WHAT WAS THERE BEFORE THE BIG BANG ??? There cant have just been nothingness ,what created that tiny electron ?? What created all the billions of other universes ?? can you not understand what im trying to say ?

I can, but I can tell you something it was not a bloke with a white or black beard......

Attachments

• 58203882.jpg
    58203882.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 119

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Whilst i agree with your thinking here. It does beg the question...... Who created the creator? The whole thing is a mind **** because at some point somehow we had to go from nothing to something. Be that the creation of the universe or the creation of the thing that created the universe. I consign myself to never knowing the answer to this as, as you say, this is not within our current realms of understanding (yet??).

Especially under the influence of mind altering substances-so I've been told.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

He is saying, if everything must have a creator then who created god. The arrogance of some religions is astounding that they mock the idea that a bang could come from nothing but a bloke in the sky can come from nothing is perfectly plausible.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think all of us can agree that any correct thinking person will outright reject the idea of "god" in any form, those that still cling to the dribble covered comfort blanket of religion simply don't have the will or the tools to further the human race. This is evidenced in the fact that science saves and improves lives by the millions and strives to further our understanding of the universe while inviting questions and investigation whereas religion continues to kill people and make people's lives an utter misery in vast swathes all the while trying to force upon people their own version of events that cannot be questioned, deviated from or rejected.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Of course not. Sh1t happens, some of it is man-made, some of it is natural. This is not a perfect world.

But wouldn't a 'god' capable of creating 'the flood' be equally capable of preventing tsunamis? Especially one portrayed as one who 'loves us all'? Both natural disasters-one a reality, the other just one more chapter in the big book of middle ages fairy stories.

Time for a god, any god, to reveal themselves now that almost everybody on the planet has the means to capture a picture and remove any doubts. Would instantly make the world a better place. Not going to happen is it?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I think all of us can agree that any correct thinking person will outright reject the idea of "god" in any form, those that still cling to the dribble covered comfort blanket of religion simply don't have the will or the tools to further the human race. This is evidenced in the fact that science saves and improves lives by the millions and strives to further our understanding of the universe while inviting questions and investigation whereas religion continues to kill people and make people's lives an utter misery in vast swathes all the while trying to force upon people their own version of events that cannot be questioned, deviated from or rejected.

Newton believed both in God and that the Bible was a revelation from God. He also believed that God was not bound by time as are humans, allowing Him to see the “end from the beginning”. Thus, to use Newton’s own words, he was convinced that “the holy Prophecies” of the Scripture are nothing else than “histories of things to come” (Yahuda MS 1.1, folio 16 recto). At the same time, biblical prophecy is written in highly symbolic language that requires skilled interpretation. Newton rose to this challenge as he attempted to discover the future of the world in the words of the prophets.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Newton believed both in God and that the Bible was a revelation from God. He also believed that God was not bound by time as are humans, allowing Him to see the “end from the beginning”. Thus, to use Newton’s own words, he was convinced that “the holy Prophecies” of the Scripture are nothing else than “histories of things to come” (Yahuda MS 1.1, folio 16 recto). At the same time, biblical prophecy is written in highly symbolic language that requires skilled interpretation. Newton rose to this challenge as he attempted to discover the future of the world in the words of the prophets.

Yes, true as far as I know. It's also true that just about EVERYBODY in the 16/1700's would have believed in God so it's not really a stretch to think that even the greatest scientific minds of the time would have searched for a way to marry science and religion. Some still do. However this alone doesn't make religion a fact nor science a fiction.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Yes, true as far as I know. It's also true that just about EVERYBODY in the 16/1700's would have believed in God so it's not really a stretch to think that even the greatest scientific minds of the time would have searched for a way to marry science and religion. Some still do. However this alone doesn't make religion a fact nor science a fiction.

It shows that science and spirituality kinda works together. Have you heard of the God particle?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It shows that science and spirituality kinda works together. Have you heard of the God particle?

Yes, people do marry science and spirituality, there are several schools of thought with this at it's core. It's interesting but for me, the two, in their purest forms cannot exist together but ultimately both science and religion serve the same purpose: To search for answers to how and why we exist. So in that sense they are perfect bedfellows but I'm my opinion following each doctrine to it's logical conclusion, religion will always fail to answer those questions.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Surely a correct thinking person is open to the possibility of anything?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The problem is that God may exist in some form - pretending that we can know that it doesn't, doesn't make it true.

Besides, I'm not convinced that an atheist world is the kind of world we want to live in. Of course some terrible things have happened in the name of religion, but also religion has done a lot of great things - I believe that it is the human being and our politics, rather than our faith in the divine, that is responsible the historical atrocities that have occurred in the name of religion.

I believe spirituality is important, for both the individual and society as a whole. God may exist, or it may not, but it's important to remember that atheism requires as much faith as theism. As long as religion continues to modernise I think it can be a really positive thing for humanity in the future, just as it has been in the past.

Largely, I agree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here