[Football] So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will you be most sad to see leave Englush club football?

• Jurgen Klopp

Votes: 67 73.6%
  • Emma Hayes

Votes: 24 26.4%

• Total voters

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
So this weekend we say goodbye to two absolute colossuses and legends of the English club game. Both will be a huge loss to the English club football family we are all part of, but which will you be most sad to see leave?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Definitely Hayes. It's a travesty she hasn't been given Klopp's job yet.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Neither, both a pair of self important twats though at least Klopp manages a proper football team in a proper league…..I was going to say not overhyped old shite but that’d be stretching it a bit

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Neither, both a pair of self important twats though at least Klopp manages a proper football team in a proper league…..I was going to say not overhyped old shite but that’d be stretching it a bit
giphy.gif

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Probably Emma Hayes. The fact that she has survived for 13 seasons at Chelsea without ever looking like getting sacked must surely speak volumes.

She has won 6 league titles (and well odds-on to win a seventh tomorrow), 5 FA Cups, 2 League Cups and a Community Shield. (Klopp 1 league title, 1 FA Cup and 2 League Cups)

I think we will regret not saying "thankyou and goodbye" to Weigman after the WC Final and replacing her with Hayes. (Well the fact that GB didn't qualify for the Olympics means we probably already do). If the FA had offered to match Hayes' deal in the US she may well have stayed. IMO we have lost the best female coach in world football to one of England's most significant opponents.

You can read many testimonials from Chelsea players over the years about the help and support they have received from Hayes on a personal level.

For balance though, I will say that my admiration and support for Hayes diminished significantly after her unsportsmanlike shoving of the Arsenal manager after Chelsea's defeat earlier in the season.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I don't think either are legends of the English game.
Hayes has won 6 League titles, 5 FA Cups an couple of League Cups and multiple manager of the year awards. That's more than Paisley and Busby in terms of league titles. Whatever you think of the women's game, she is a legend in terms of the overall English game.

Klopp, less so, but he's been successful in an era where there are 115 reasons why Man City win everything. Anyone winning the league title in the Guardiola era is a success, but to be a legend you need to do more than 1 league title, 1 FA cup and a champions league. He's been a very good manager, but not a legend.

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
Klopp, less so, but he's been successful in an era where there are 115 reasons why Man City win everything. Anyone winning the league title in the Guardiola era is a success, but to be a legend you need to do more than 1 league title, 1 FA cup and a champions league. He's been a very good manager, but not a legend.
Agreed. In the last 10 years, Man United, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal all have a net spend over £1bn. Liverpool's is £450m. To win all the major trophies with such a budget deficit to all your main rivals undoubtedly makes Klopp a world-class manager.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Hayes has won 6 League titles, 5 FA Cups an couple of League Cups and multiple manager of the year awards. That's more than Paisley and Busby in terms of league titles. Whatever you think of the women's game, she is a legend in terms of the overall English game.

Both have undoubtedly achieved some impressive things, but IMO the accolade of 'legend' is over-deployed.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think we will regret not saying "thankyou and goodbye" to Weigman after the WC Final and replacing her with Hayes.
I definitely will not.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Klopp a tinge overrated, had that brilliant season with Salah, Mane Firminho etc winning the title, a proper nice guy, very likeable but never repeated that small period of greatest and bang average more seasons than contenders

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Crodo with his finger on the pulse of the nation as ever. Great thread and great debate which will be taking place up and down the country.

For me, although Jurgen Klopp is probably the second greatest manager to have ever managed in the PL after Sam Allardyce, HAYZO has literally transformed the women's game, bringing it now almost level with the men's in how it is viewed by every football fan. Arsenal's women will be playing in the Emirates as their home stadium next season. That's tells you all you need to know about the demand for womens football now and Emma has played a key part in that. As I imagine everyone did, I wiped away a tear as she stood in the centre circle with her son Isaac and paid tribute to her players who will surely now rank alongside the names of Terry, Lampard and Dalla Bonna.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Read the title and while the thread was opening was trying to work out who the second known leaver is after Adam Lallana.
Proper shocked to see the two names come up.
As per other other, not bothered by either [although I do know who Emma Hayes is/was]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports